CSB4Win : Next Generation

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
D. Lacouture

CSB4Win : Next Generation

Post by D. Lacouture »

(kind of Star Trek fan...)

Well, as I started the discussion in the DM area, I thought it was clear that I was willing to do the modifications myself (can't predict a completion date, though...). C/C++ coding is my current job, so it should be a piece of cake (just kidding, Paul).

I asked for the spells, because that was the first thing I wanted to see improved, but it seems that a lot of people here have other ideas...

Obviously, adding spells wasn't too popular among you... I'd add some (thourougly thought) spells, but only after they are approved here...

We should start by setting some rules for spells and other additions, like :
1 - no graphical changes (it means that stealing an opponent's weapon won't be accepted!)
2 - follow the Holy Spirit of DM (using adequate runes for spells and so on)

I'd say, let's start one thread per idea (don't remember who proposed this "poll" system, but it was a good idea...).

As for myself, I just want to add some features that I really missed when I was playing back in the 80's...
Ex :
*Heal spell,
*Gor potion,
*"drink" action on a flask,
*drink in front of a fontain by clicking empty-handed on it (leader only),
*Luck attribute,
*give ninja and priest skills more importance,

And some more...
Christopher

Re: CSB4Win : Next Generation

Post by Christopher »

So in other words the Ice Bolt spell, though currently accepted by most people, won't be included because it is a projected spell and would therefore change the graphics. (you can't have a bolt of ice explode, and the affect of the spell would have to look different then anything seen in DM at the moment.) Which brings up the question: Can there be graphical additions?
Why would the leader only be able to drink from the fountain? It would seem to take an unnecessary amount of time to quench everybody's thirst. It should work the same way that it works in DM2: one click and everybody's full.
I don't see why most people think that priests aren't as powerful as wizards. I happen to think that priests are much more important then wizards.
I don't remember who brought it up, but I agree that having new weapons for ninja's would be great (adding graphics and not changing them). I suppose that new weapons would be a whole different topic though.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Well there won't be alot of projectile spells then since they would need a graphics change. In fact cause of this 'rule' It seems like that almost every spell thought of is gonna either have to be mostly priest-like,non attacking wizard spells,non-movement based skills(like fear or something) or use the same graphics that were put into the game.

Not alot of choices there is is?
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
D. Lacouture

Post by D. Lacouture »

Well, I added this rule as I don't have the slightest idea of how adding graphics to CSB4Win, but if anyone here knows how to do it, no problem!

Christopher : a mere click refreshing all the members would be too easy in my opinion... Hey, you could even fill everyone in the middle of a combat...
And nearly everything done with the cursor is leader-oriented anyway...
Besides, doing it the old way (flasks...) take a lot more time...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

PC DM (and amiga i think )let you fill from the hand, so there you go
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I suppose you could use the Zo/Des Ew graphic for the ice bolt. It looks sort of watery...

Also, I dare say that you could use the graphics used for the items in the main screen window as spell graphics: say the arrow for a magic arrow, rock/boulders for another spell etc etc.

As for increasing the role of Ninjas and Priests, I whole-heartedly agree. It could be said that the role of priest is important enough ie the Vi potion, but 95% of the priest spells I cast is this particular one. As for the Ninja, I stick by my earlier point stating Ninjas exist merely as a vehicle to increase stats. A fighter can throw objects equally as far, given the same strength, as a Ninja. The rope is fairly useless, and again you do not specifically need a Ninja to use it. I jump down most pits anyway. And who actually uses the bows? Well, now that I have said that 'controversial' statement, no doubt hundreds of avid archers will descend on this thread.

I am currently in the process of obtaining a compiler and will re-learn my ancient programming skills....
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

to increase the importance of ninjas, the arrows should be taken out of the game... each bow/x-bow has simply unlimited shot, but an increased time to recharge. then bows would be the main weapon of the back fighters without being too strong...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

That is a good idea. One thing is that as my rear men (when I use them!) are usually mainly a priest and a wizard, the rear men would have two main "professions" and could end up being stronger than the front two, generally two fighters. However, this is just the way I play, I rarely 'train' all four characters like some people do.
I was thinking more along the lines of weapons that are Ninja only, but your bow idea is certainly worth thinking about and I cannot see whay it cannot be implemented even within the confines of the game engine (Firestaff unlimited invoke-bow unlimited 'bolt' charges.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Firestaff/invoke was limited to the last level

Without ammo you could pick off anyone, it would just be a matter of time. With anything else there is another cost - melee attacks reduce stamina (and put you in harms way), mana recovers slowly so offensive spells take time (ie food/water).

Even in DM 2 the archer dragons ran out of ammo

What you could try for is the quiver like DM 2, so that ninjas don't only have the 5 shots at most (which is a bit wimpy)

Also, how about ninja levels affecting the basics?
Higher ninjas do a double kick when attacking (similar to the effect of the excimitar in DM 2 with melee), punches turn to 'chops' and do more damage to armoured opponents, and the war cry gets more aggressive (sorter duration, sounds like a 'ahia!' and inflicts a few points of damage to certain creatures

Maybe ninjas can start drawing ammo from more places
Thehigher the level, the more scope (from pouch first, then backpack, then from chests/quivers in the backpack)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”