New Monsters

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

New Monsters

Post by PaulH »

Is it possible to extract the monster graphics from the program, say through an art package, so they can be redrawn? Obviously the graphics from DM to CSB have been changed though I do not know the method. I bring this up because if we decide on new offensive spells and their targets and effects, then we know exactly where and when to use them. If however there is a new (looking) slavering alien stood in front of you then you have to find out for yourself the best course of action, exactly the same as if you had played the game for the first time. I consider myself to be fairly artistic and could invent quite a few new monsters even if the mechanics may be the same as a previous monster (can we change those mechanics as well though?)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: New Monsters

Post by Paul Stevens »

The monster characteristics are (at least mostly) in the
graphics.dat file. Lord Chaos is a bit of an exception.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

(wow, we're really getting ahead of ourselves now) So you are the only one who will go about creating new monsters? Seems kind of selfish but also seems to be what you implied. If other people contributed, the monsters if and when programed, wouldn't be new to us at all; we would have determined together what strengths and weaknesses they have. So it wouldn't be like playing the game for the first time, and we wouldn't have to find out anything. I would certainly like to help with monster creation in any way possible.
I would like to see new monsters but I highly doubt that too many other people would; most don't even want new spells. New monsters would be like making a new, different game. Most people are going to start saying something like, "Where are we going to draw the line? If we keep adding new things, then Dungeon Master will be completely ruined; it will be an entirely different game, with very few of the original graphics." and you can't really disagree to that, sorry to say. If I am reading you wrong PaulH, let me know.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSB already had 'new' monsters - think of rives. They are ghosts in all but graphics, but beause the graphics were cunning you suddenly had a new monster, one that was almost invisible until attacking. What's wrong with someone creating a new graphics set on their own? This is what graphreader lets you do, or could let you do..i forget what exactly it can do right now

I think there is room to have new monsters as long as you don't go nuts - going nuts is what the next generation clones are for : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Christopher: please take time to read what I have said before you jump in with both feet. The message at the moment is an idea, I am merely trying to find out if it is possible. As I stated that the graphics have been changed from DM to CSB, so if the original programmers did it then what is the problem? They are after all the same monsters ie have their own characteristics. (rive-ghost, muncher-wasp etc). That is why I added the 'new looking' comment.

And there is NO WAY that I stated or even implied that I would take a task on just by myself. How you consider me to be selfish when I am willing to draw some new creations is beyond my grasp. I found something that I could contribute to and simply state I can help out here.
"I consider myself to be fairly artistic and could invent quite a few new monsters"
You HAVE read me wrong. Obviously you do not want new graphics, and certainly not new mechanics for monsters. OK, I repect that, but please don't insult me!
And as for the 'mechanics': well that was merely a suggestion as well!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Also I am quite aware that 'us lot' will know the inner working of the monsters and spells if 'we' together change them, so we will not get that new game feeling. I was thinking more of people who haven't read these threads such as all my family and friends, and I am sure the same goes for you (I hope!)
After all we are just a drop in the ocean as far as the DM world goes...
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Fair enough. You read me wrong as well. I would like to see new monsters and would like to help, it just seems like we should do one task at a time, like spells, weapons, monsters ect.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”