New Mac OS X port for Macintosh users!

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
magroader81
Neophyte

Dungeon Master HD...in SDL

Post by magroader81 »

Paul Stevens wrote:
I can make an especially big one....just for you :lol:
Gee, thanks. On second thought,why not. Everything cool (or so people say) in these days is supose to be in HD, you could make Dungeon Master HD (DM/DM2/CBS +easy to use level editor & multiplayer support). Oh, and you could program the game in SDL. Cross-platform...yay :D
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

SDL, eh? Hmmmmmm. Interesting.
Let's think about that. 'twould be a
learning experience for a very old man. :?
magroader81
Neophyte

Post by magroader81 »

Yeah DM & CSB in SDL would have been great. Let me tell you about a real cool shoot em up game. Tyrian.
Tyrian was originaly a Dos game. You could´nt play it with out a dos emulator (DosBox).
That was the situation early last year. Now Tyrian has been ported to SDL, it is available to these platforms:
Windows, Mac OSX, (and Linux I think?) PSP, DS, GP2X, Gizmondo, GameCube, Amiga, Dreamcast, and Nokia Internet Tablets.

http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/

Would´nt it be cool if DM & CSB got ported to more platforms?

Anyways...the reason I am writing is to give you a little update.
I have been trying Crossover Games for Mac. I am now playing DM/CSB for Windows. No Bootcamp, no windows emulation at all. It works perfect. The only downside is it takes a little time to load and it cost $60. But it works.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
iGame3D
Novice

Re: New Mac OS X port for Macintosh users!

Post by iGame3D »

Current available build runs on Intel OS X 10.4.11.
Its a PowerPC application built in Metroworks Codewarrior, which is long since discontinued.

It will need a move over to Xcode.

I'll ask around, I'm not savvy with that shizzle.
LynXX
Neophyte

Post by LynXX »

Hi,

Here's my try: http://dl.free.fr/rxnpeAQMF/csb.app.zip

I don't really consider it like a Mac OS X port, instead more a dirty hack of the Linux SDL verion to have it running in Mac OS X. ;) You'll need to install SDL library before running it.

Please put dungeon.dat and graphics.dat in the same directory of the csb.app, or inside csb.app/Contents/Resources (In finder, ctrl-click + "Show Package Contents" on csb.app).
  • Sound works, however I don't really know how :-)
  • Game save seems to work, but load ain't
  • It's running too fast
jmouvre
Neophyte

Post by jmouvre »

Hi LynXX
Can you please repost yoir port with SDL ?
It would be great to play again on Intel OS X.
Thank you
LynXX
Neophyte

Post by LynXX »

There you go: http://dl.free.fr/v0PmDj90p/csb.app.zip

I don't think it's really "playable" though ;)
jmouvre
Neophyte

Post by jmouvre »

LynXX thank you. It works and it's playable (no zoom but it's ok).
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

I get the "csb quit unexpectedly" message when trying to launch the file on my Mac. :(

How did you get it working? Is there anything I need to do on my end in terms of OS X settings or anything like that?
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Ok, since Mac users are unable to run cbs successfully on the current version of MacOS, has anyone tried a different way to play DM on a Mac? Maybe using an Amiga emulator?
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

I haven't used an Amiga emulator in a while, but Hatari is a great Atari ST emulator. You could also try Boxer for DOS, which is really just a nice wrapper around DOSBox. Of the more recent clones, only Dungeon Master Java runs on Mac without some kind of emulation.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Many thanks, will definitely give Hatari and Boxer a look. Would be great to play other DOS games as well, so will likely go down this route thanks to your help. :)

For Amiga emulation, I think the best way is to get it at www.amigaforever.com/macgamer

It costs a few pennies but in return you get licensed Kickstart ROMs and Hi-Toro, which is the included interface which makes setting up and tweaking UAE (the emulator running in the background) so much easier. I only found this site because macformat.co.uk magazine had a 2-page article in the Feb 2011 issue on running Amiga games on a Mac.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Alandale, Boxer is a great PC (DOS) emulator for Macs, huge thanks for that! :) It is so easy to use and works seamlessly - absolutely amazing.

Do you know of any other good emulators (apart from Hatari - which I will be trying out in the coming days)? Maybe one that emulates the NES or C64?

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”