Dungeon Master for Pocket PC / Win CE

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
empire29
Neophyte

Post by empire29 »

ok - im working on trying to get DM to run properly on my 320x320 screen by tweaking the config.txt .. seems to kinda of be working.

Two question
1) What is the proper form to pass the Width and Height to CSBwinCE11_4.exe .. ? I am currently using: 47#"\Storage Card\Dungeon Master\CSBwinCE11_4.exe" "width=320 height=320"
however the Dungeon Master logo screen and the gates are still too wide for the screen... ?

2) Whenever I start CSBwinCE11_4.exe it tells me "Bad Config Line"
Line number = 126
CEDisplay
OVERLAPPEDTEXT 0 169
0 169 320 31 0 0 0 16

If i comment out that line, removes the next line as bad config, and so on ...

If i click "OK" on the error message it loads DM and I am able to play.. ??
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The previous pages of this thread
have several successful config files
for various screen sizes. Notice that
none contain 'OVERLAPPEDTEXT'. That
is gone.

On smaller screens it is impossible to
show the entire logo and prison door.

On a 320x320 you should be able to
use the defaults. Get rid of
all CEDisplay lines. See if that helps.
I hope I put reasonable defaults in the
program.

Your screen is bigger than the atari
screen.

When you click "OK" on the error message
it simply skips that line.
empire29
Neophyte

Post by empire29 »

I think I got it working on my Epix's 320 x 320 screen pretty well. At first I thought I could resize the elements, but it appears you can only "crop" and place them. I ended up removing the direction buttons, which forces you to use the keyboard.

Anyhow - i bundled it up in a CAB file so its easy to install. Thanks to everyone for the help/direction. It was little daunting at first trying to figure out what versions supported what.

Download CAB file for the Samsung Epix (320x320 Win Mobile 6.1 Pro)

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool... though why are the images distorted? If your display is 320x320, you shouldn't have to change anything at all, surely? The Atari ST display was 320x200, plenty of room for you to fit that all in using the original arrangement...

I'm confused. :?:
empire29
Neophyte

Post by empire29 »

Gambit37 wrote:Cool... though why are the images distorted? If your display is 320x320, you shouldn't have to change anything at all, surely? The Atari ST display was 320x200, plenty of room for you to fit that all in using the original arrangement...

I'm confused. :?:
hrm, I have no idea -- i took the basic config file, commented out all the CEDisplay lines and then un-commented the pieces i wanted to move around.

I checked out some other screen shots in the thread and see what you mean ... Could it be that im stretching elements of the UI? My viewport is almost 320 pix wide.. thats alot bigger than the native size, right? I feel like all my UI elements got scaled up somehow... ?

Im not sure why why I couldn't fit everything on the screen... I dont even know how to resize elements of the UI. Just move them around the screen.

I assume that if I fit everything on, parts of the UI would have to be shrunk which probably would be bad since the UI is pretty small even for use with a stylus - any smaller and it would be too difficult to tap w the stylus.

all and all im pretty pleased though :)

Oh yeah - i also have the problem with the Epix where I have to leave the bottom menu bar visible, if I don't my system menu bar appears which is very annoying. The bottom menu bar only takes up around 20px in height or so, so i should have 320 x 300 atleast of usable UI area.. no idea why I can't fit everything though ... ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's very clear to me from your screen shots that everything is being scaled up. Look at the text, there should be no double lines for a start, the characters are only 5x5 pixels square.

I don't know anything about the config file but I imagine the defaults are not set to the original size. Check with Paul Stevens.

Although, obviously if you want a bigger display of the dungeon view, then the way you have it is cool, but if you want the graphics to be a bit clearer, then personally I'd stick to the original arrangement.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The distortion is quite impossible!!!!!!
At least it is impossible that CSBwin
has initiated any scaling.

Either:

What we see on the forum is not a
true representation of what he sees on
his screen.

OR

Something inside his operating system
or video hardware or video drivers has
been asked to expand the graphics to
fill the screen.

OR

Someone has rewritten CSBwin and
fiddled with the code. It was not I.
empire29
Neophyte

Post by empire29 »

Paul and Gambit,

The screen shots in the forums are direct screen shots from my Epix and have not been distorted in any way. I can verify that the screen shots look the same as my on-screen display (the text is slightly distorted).

I downloaded CSBWinCE11_5.exe from paul's web site and used the config found in the CSBWinCE11_4.zip, so i don't think any rouge code has been introduced.

I'm with Paul on the OS level scaling -- Ill be upset if its being scaled some other way since i spent hours trying to figure how to/if it was possible to rescale UI elements :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's almost definitely being scaled by the OS then. Compare yours with a standard screenshot:

T0Mi
Expert

Re: Dungeon Master for Pocket PC / Win CE

Post by T0Mi »

I'd like to report that CSBwinCE runs silky smooth with Windows Mobile 6.1 on devices HTC Touch Diamond and Pro2.
Tested with DM and Conflux (bugfix5). After linking the *.exe to windows/startmenu/programs Conflux can even
be stored on the mem-card, without inacceptable delays when resuming a saved game.
On both VGA (640x480) and WVGA (800x480) the screen is automatically scaled to double size and everything runs just fine. :-)

T0Mi
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, it's great to see the portability of the old game :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, that's pretty sweet! Doug would be thrilled (except for the copyright issues, of course... *cough*) ;-)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I watched a demonstration of the HTC Touch
Diamond on UTube.

How do you control things playing DM?
Is there a stylus for tapping on the
screen? Like the PocketPC? All I saw
on the video was large gestures
with the thumb - not too good for
casing Vi Bro.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

There still is a stylus. And it is needed.
Underneath that shiny TouchFlo Desktop there is still plain Windows Mobile. With tiny little boxes to check and uncheck.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I have to report some minor bugs for CSBwinCE2002 11.7. I use a T-Mobile MDA 5 (branded HTC Touch 2 Diamond):
The scroll after quitting the game is scrambled - the same way the interface is rearranged.
After dieing, the mouse cursor is on screen and follows the hand.

There are other issues which might or might not be related to me being unable to find the options for them:
The game doesn't flip with the screen. I'd like an option for the game to run flipped permanently, because otherwise it might flip back and forth when i rotate my mobile (the G-Sensor tool has its perks). There are programs for that afaik, but a config-option would be great.
Also I wasn't able to rearrange the interface. It works like it is, but i'm used to the old arrangement.
I'm really missing the mana bar.
My mobile has a resolution of 480*800. The game uses the full screen (in width at least), but not as good as it could be.

Nevertheless, I was able to fuse Lord Chaos on my mobile, I'm just nitpicking here! Thanks a lot for the effort put into this!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Thanks a lot for the effort put into this!
You are welcome.

The only one of your questions/comments/complaints
that I can address is the "wasn't able to rearrange the interface".
The config.txt allows it to be arranged any way you choose.
Did you attempt to set things the way you wanted? Did you
use the default? What? And.......you should have asked
before playing the entire game!

The scrambled graphics after the game is over will have
to be tolerated. I know nothing of G-sensors and
have no way to try or test.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

The G-Sensor rotates the screen by 90° if I flip my mobile. That is quite handy when browsing the internet or using other broad applications, would also be helpful for CSBwin. Otherwise, rearranging the interface wouldn't make too much sense, since the dungeon view uses full width atm.
After checking the config, I decided I can live with the interface, but I'm really missing the mana bars and found no way to get them back.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

found no way to get them back.
Well, if you send your config.txt to me perhaps
I can change it for you so that everything is visible
exactly as it would be on the PC.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I did not change anything to the config.txt which was supplied with 11.7.
I have seen that there are several predefined settings, mostly commented out with ";", in the config.txt and the active one is very good for my display next to the missing mana bars (and the fact I have to get used to the new arrangement, but since I don't play with a mouse, that's only optical confusion and no real obstacle). I have read the documentation but didn't find anything specific for the mana bars. So a modified standard config.txt with mana bars would be fine - even a hint to the line I have to change would be enough. :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

There are several sets of display options.
One is labeled 'Default' which may be what
you are using. One is labeled 'Landscape - original
game layout'. Perhaps you would like that better.

Comment out (with ';') all of the currently active
one and remove all the semi-colons from column one
of all the 'Lanscape-Original'. You have plenty of
real estate on your device for the original layout.

This is probably untested because I have no device
that big. If it is messed up, send a screenshot and
we will try to fix it.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

After reading a bit in the config and comparing the different setups, it was actually quite easy: I only had to change the 7th number of each portrait (copymode) from 0 to 1 -> voilà mana bars! I wonder why copymode=0 is the default, i rather have an ugly mana bar than none.

The setup you suggested is too broad for my display, I guess my mobile doubles the resolution and makes it 640*400, at least I miss about 1/3 of the game. I could reduce the size, but then it would be quite small - I prefer the larger viewport to the original layout, the display of my mobile is small enough anyways... The only possibility to use the original layout would require me to flip the screen, but that's not too easy since the mobile only flips selected applications. I searched for software to flip the screen manually, but didn't find anything which doesn't mess around too much with my mobile (by rotating everything), so i rather not installed any of it.

The only help I could think of would be an option to rotate the whole game via the config file. But as I said, that's only optical stuff and not too important.

Another small thing: did I miss the option to hide time by default? That's a rather irritating display I have to turn off after every start of CSBwinCE.

Now it's time to start with CSB, really looking forward to my next train ride. Too bad I soloed DM, I need two guys for CSB to carry all those keys. ;)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

After reading a bit ..... it was actually quite easy:
Good. Glad you got it working reasonably.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”