Dungeon Master for Pocket PC / Win CE

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Oh that's true, it was side-stepping and not turning. I turn more often than sidestep.

Thanks Paul, will try this when I get home.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Hi folks,

I got a MDA compact II with Windows mobile 5.0 on it. One of the first things I thought of, was running an ST emulator with DM/CSB on it. ;-)

Then I found a version exclusiv ported for pocket PCs - what a joy.
My problem is: Both DM and CSB crash badly (cold reset nedded) when I turn on the sound in the menu ingame (where you can choose full, half quarter, aso) and cast some fireballs / open a door, etc. The games works fine as long as the sound is "off".

I havn't found a way to change the output sound to 8bit mono which I guess is the original format of the ST Sound(?)

Would that solve the problem? Maybe you can give me some hints, I'm all new to Pocket PCs/Windows mobile.

Greetings from Germany and sorry for my lame English.

T0Mi

P.S.
I would like to donate some $ to Paul. Best for me would be IBAN/BIC, so I can easily do it using online banking.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

T0Mi wrote: I would like to donate some $ to Paul. Best for me would be IBAN/BIC, so I can easily do it using online banking.
Oh, GOD, no. The last thing I need is any more
money. If I had Bill Gates' money I would not
spend any more than I am spending today.

I will think about the sound business and add
some comments here in, perhaps, a day.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Thany for your quick reply.

My guess is, that the problem isn't caused by CSBwinCE but exclusivly by my PPC&OS. I also havn't found the problem elsewhere on the inet. I should have asked in a PPC forum and not here, sorry.

As for the donation:
Funny thing...
I've experienced that more and more ppl do not care much about money. Which is a good thing. As soon as you got enough of that paper with numbers printed on it to make your living you're free to be happy, right? :-)

Have a nice time!
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

A quick examination of the CSBwinCE code
reveals very basic system calls. The only thing
strange is a sampling rate of 6000 samples/
second. That is strange indeed.

I made a CEtest.exe with the sampling
rate changed to a very standard 44100.
At:

http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CEtest.exe

Can you try that? If it works, I don't know
what to do next. If it fails, I don't know
what to do next. But at least we will
know more than we know now.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Ha !

Your file worked !

I'm happy! :D

No more crashes!

So the problem just seems to be the sample rate.
I guess all I have to do now is to find out how to turn down the high pitching micy sounds back into lovely "u-uha u-uha" again. I hope the original version will work, as soon as I found out how to turn the PPC output down to the original sample rate. (I hope that's possible and not a hard factory setting)

Thanks alot!

Greetings
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Well, let us see how close we can get to
a sample rate of 6000 per second.

I posted:
CEtest44100.exe (the one you say works)
CEtest22050.exe
CEtest11025.exe
CEtest8000.exe

If the CEtest8000.exe works then it should
sound reasonable. It is only a few
notes too high.

Let me know. Perhaps I can add an option
to resample at a higher sample rate.

By the way.....the Atari used 4-bit sound
samples with log scaling.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

All the versions work perfect !

The sound changes from squeeky mice to Teenagers in puberty. The game still runs absolutely stable.

I got a feeling, that the reason for the crashes is not just the sample rate. There must be something else. I bet a CEtest6000.exe would also work perfect, although byte by byte it should be the same as the original I downloaded from your site. The only thing that's different from the test versions is the text overlap funktion: regardless of "overlap text" selected or not, the text is (originally) diplayed in one row.

I guess it would be a puzzle to find out. Maybe it is just a convertion issue.

Please don't spend any more time for my little problems.
I'm happy now - Dungeon master in my pocket, this is just great. :-)

I hope and wish you and your family will have a healthy and happy new year. People like you do a great deal in making the world a place worth living in.

I will send email, maybe there is something I can do for you, too.

Greeting from Germany
T0Mi
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

maybe there is something I can do for you
I guess Paul would be happy if you made a little custom dungeon for CSBwin (wchich you could also run on PPC, right?) ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

sorry for my late reply... been very busy the last days. Too bad, I had nothing on offer for Paul.

Yes, I think I will dmute a bit in the future... I'm playing the Tower of Chaos right now, which is a really great dungeon giving me that ol' DM feeling back. (I just solved the annoying teleporter part after the bridge, puuh....) Too bad conflux isn't running on PocketPC.

Anyway, I hope I can take part in this great forum and do some contributions, although I fear most of the time I will be busy getting my RL sorted out.

Greeting from Germany
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Hmmmmm.... I had Conflux running on the
PocketPC. But that was long ago. Give me
a day or so and I will see what I can do.
Remind me if I seem to have forgotten. I
forget a lot. :(
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

T0Mi wrote:Too bad conflux isn't running on PocketPC.
Look at:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/WinCE20 ... ugfix3.zip

The sound may be a big problem. Perhaps best to
turn it off.

Does anyone want to put this in a better place so
that it can be easily referenced in the same way
that the CSBwin version is referenced? Otherwise
I will put in my collection in the CSBwin/Games folder.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Hey, no sweat, I have to complete the tower first anyway. ;-)

I merged your CEtest8000.exe with the (original version J) conflux folder and actually got it to work. Still get an error message at startup ("Grafic file Error Monster 'Time-per-move' == 0"), but using the task manager Conflux pops right back and the game works fine. Havn't been deep in the dungeon yet and just noticed a little delay when fighting. Nothing annoying, and the sound just works fine. :)
I will replace the original files with bugfixed ones and see.

[webspace] message to myself: readbeforeyoupost, readbeforyoupost, readbeforeyoupost. :roll:

On monday RL will kick right back and I hope I will still find the time to take part.

Thanks again!
T0Mi
Last edited by T0Mi on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Is that conflux II version J or conflux III? If conflux II, then the graphics file won't be compatible and will cause problems later
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

yes, its the J version of conflux II, and I havn't been deep in the dungeon yet. Just seen the screamers (cool!) and some rats (original graphics). I guess I have to play it on a normal PC. I fear it, because I get addicted very fast and so far I always tried to keep my work (CATIA) seperated from gaming. But heck... :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Conflux III is quite advanced passed conflux II version J - so I think you will find the graphics file will cause problems later (although alot of the mechaics will be through CSBgraphics I think)

Personally, I would not merge the two versions at all, and play the above package as a stand alone.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

sorry my fault... of course I would never try to merge Conflux II + III, doesn't make any sense... just seen that the uploaded file is conflux3, not II... sorry.

All I did, was using Pauls modified CEtest8000 in the conflux II folder to get a sound experience. I will see if it crashes lateron. And if it does, I sure will return to bite in your ears. *lol*

Greetings from Germany
T0Mi
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

oh my... let's just all delete our previous 3 posts so that innocent visitors won't get hurt mentaly.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

T0Mi wrote: All I did, was using Pauls modified CEtest8000 in the conflux II folder
T0Mi
I would not do that. Try using the files
from the .ZIP that I posted. Nothing more
and nothing less. Any mixing and matching
is asking for trouble.

If the sound does not work, let me know
and I will update that release with an 8KHz
option just for you.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

ah... just got home from work

6:00 get up, stand up
8:00 stroke some horses neck, muck out, feed
9:00 drive through the worlds worst traffic jam, Stuttgart inner City in an old '84 Chevy Blazer
10:00 start working FEM on some worthless plastic parts.
19:00 finished, get through Stuttgart one more time
20:00 stroke some more horses neck, muck out, feed
21:00 feed myself (sucessfully)
22:00 retire in front of the screen

still, despite the lack of time I got a feeling that I will be loyal to DM and it's community, maybe creating some custom dungeons and grafixs, answering the questions of newbies and of course: playing DM and it's sequals, offical and fanmade... on a Pocket PC. YES!

Paul: Conflux II works fine with your CEtest8000.exe. Or at least good enough to play it. No need for you spending any more time on that dull german ;-). Again: THANKS _ALOT_! (and I mean it)
And if it crashes: I know a place and people who will fix my valuable save-game right up, export it to a working version, lube it nicely and giving it back without anything in return. *mean grin*

Grettings
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

T0Mi wrote: And if it crashes: I know a place and people who will fix my valuable save-game right up, export it to a working version, lube it nicely and giving it back without anything in return.

T0Mi
Well, don't count on me to fix up problems
in an older version when you have been
warned to use a more recent version :!:
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

please don't get me wrong here, I added a *smirk* instead of an ironicon.

but I guess you know how much I appreciate the work you've done for me, right? (and that I dislike not beeing able to give anything in return)

It's a strange thing, the internet, and the way ppl communicate, how they act in VR and RL... in some way comparable to the hooplah our politicans are so well trained in. Anyway, it's still letters put together to form words, words put together to form sentences, and sentences put together to form (hopefully) sense. Language is a weak tool, not regardless of beeing a native speaker, yes, it's mostly the time that makes the difference (speech vs. written word). I've never really managed to master these discipline (or even grammer and spelling...), but I'm refered to be a nice guy most of the time. You (or anyone) may call me if you wish. null152 null5912852 (use google to get a cheap connection). Just remember the lag between the US and Germany and that I work 10 to 12 hours a day.

greetings
T0Mi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Oooops. Perhaps I sounded harsh.
Sorry.......was only meant to be
factual. The newer versions have
bugsfixes in both the engine and in
the Conflux design. Things that are
worthwhile if you have not invested
lots of time in an older version.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

As soon as I've finished the Towers, I will remember your special offer. And this time, I'll force giving something in return, it's just withhin the nature of the Schwaben, you can't resist, prepare to be assimilated. :twisted:

Recently, I've shown DM on PPC to an old friend of mine while on a pre-Sylvester Party. We're still close nowaday and he played it too when we both visited the same class in Highschool, competing against each other and playing it simultaneously for hours while on the phone.

We sat in front of that mini-screen, forgot about the party and roamed around the 3rd level of DM till the battery was depleted.
It was just great.

My deepest gratitude to all the people who made this possible.

T0Mi
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

T0Mi wrote:We sat in front of that mini-screen, forgot about the party and roamed around the 3rd level of DM till the battery was depleted. It was just great.
Doug Bell will love this. The cult has indeed been fed well these last twenty years.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

T0Mi wrote:
I would like to donate some $ to Paul. Best for me would be IBAN/BIC, so I can easily do it using online banking.
Paul wrote:
Oh, GOD, no. The last thing I need is any more
money. If I had Bill Gates' money I would not
spend any more than I am spending today.
T0Mi and Paul, why don`t you send, say, 12000$ to Zyx for his new project (Conflux IV...?). He wouldn`t have to work in real life by, I guess, 6 months (2 grands for a month of hard working on C4), so that he could face only on CSBwin..? :D
ok, that was a JOKE ! ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

send him ten times less:1200$ will pay half his electricity bill for conflux3! :wink:
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Wow I have absolutely no idea what to download, there are so many different files!

I downloaded CSBwinCEv101.exe and Dungeon.zip to get the dungeon.dat but now I'm looking for the graphics.dat
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

if you download the csbwin for pc package from the encyclopaedia you will have all the basic files, i think you then replace some with the csbwinCE10.1 files
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I have to admit, I was confused as well... Can't remember if there was a readme.txt in there?

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”