gift from God?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

gift from God?

Post by Adamo »

in the latest version of CSbuild (v2.17), there`s an option "gift from God" in "edit pushbutton" option. What does it means?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If you have an empty hand and it is the
last actuator on the list in its position then
it will give you party a gift. It will also cause
an actuator 'rotation'. See:

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/doc ... uator.html
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also more importantly it won't activate an effect unless it IS the wall last item - so you can protect switched from getting multiple fast pushes, or create wall items that need something added before they activate
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

it`s a good option, but how to make an actuator on the wall, that works just like a water-fountain but insted of water gives you, for example, mana potion (replaces empty flask with mana potion)?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is already a thread discussing this - for limited use, you use an oject swapper with mana potions in the wall set to activate by water flask. For a constant stream of potions, you need to use s DSA - zyx gave a good answer to this, do a search for the thread

Edit: Actually, to save you hunting ,you simple make the fountain a flask eater targetting a DSA. This DSA should have as its parameter the ID of a mana potion (say parameter A) sitting in a remote area of the dungeon (never accessed by anything). The DSA itself will have the code L0 L1 &NEG LA &ADD (that's a null charatcer as postion is irrelevant, -1 for the cursor, LA = ID of mana flask). Note with this code you could set up other fountains with other DSAs for other potions.

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/doc ... rator.html give mroe details of &ADD
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

thanx for description Beo, but I don`t have idea about using DSAing. I wrote the code: LO L1 &NEG LA &ADD to line S0 in DSA part in "Global info", when: display state is set to "0", DSA Group: Group ID=0 Master, State of Machine is set to "local state".
Is that ok? Suppose, that I`ve got my mana potion at <1>[1a32]PO161=Ee Potion(Mana) in 00(29,23)0 position. How to set that position to be understandable for a DSA? By wchich parameter?
How to make that "flask eater"? By "swap object" function?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn`t do any DSAs yet.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

A well-written manual for DSA writting would be a 'Gift From God" ;)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

At which point in the current documentation did you
get stuck? Different people bring different baggage.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

sorry*1000+sorry for my ignorance again!
I found a formula in "documentation" for making a location integer:
integer = (((position * 64) + level) * 32 + x) * 32 + y
So, in case, when my object is located on 00(29,23)0
integer = (((0 * 64) + 0) * 32 + 29) * 32 + 23 = 29 * 32 + 23 = 951 ???
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

For an &ADD you only need an example object ID, not the location of it too.
The location parameter is for where you want a new one of this example type to be added.

The object ID in this case is the number '1a23'
This is in hex, so to convert to decimal it needs to be:
(3) + (2 x 16) + (10 x 16 x 16) + (16 x 16 x 16) = ID number

The 'swap object' actuator would swap a WATER flask with an item in the wall - this is not what you want if using a DSA
An 'wall switch special object' that removes object from hand (tick a checkbox) is what I meant by object eater.

The DSA code is fine in global. Now go to the level menu, the DSA list, and add that type you created from the global menu to this level list - this DSA type now exists in the level (like adding a monster type or decoration type)

Finally, create a DSA in the level, of this type, and have the fountain target a set effect to its north face (this corresponds to position S0 of the DSA)

All things being equal, it will work!

Oh, sorry, the final thing - edit the DSA you created in the dungeon, and for 'parameter A' click 'integer' then enter the ID of the mana potion you created - that should do it.

By the way - you are correct in creating a location integer from the x,y,z info - not needed in this case, but you would be right about how to calculate it for other things : )
Last edited by beowuuf on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You really need to check your posts before sending!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

But thne people will realise I don't know what I'm talking about *sigh* I'm gettign lasy again, bad Michael, bad!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, I should have said water flask, the fountain needs to be activated by water flask (the swap from empty to water happens instantly with fountains before anythign else perhaps)
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Sorry if this is somewhere else already. This thread began with Paul's explanation of a 'gift from God' option for a pushbutton, which now seems to be missing in CSBuild. How do I make a pushbutton give such a gift nowadays?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, just realised you knew it was in the pushbutton section - umm, it's selectable top right in version 2.51 of CSBuild. What is the latest version and where did you get it (I can't find it in the enclyclopaedia!)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

2.51 is the latest version that I have.

dmweb.free.fr:

Home › Encyclopaedia › Downloads › Tools
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Then I guess it's one of those male things where you look and look and don't spot it right there...I always hate that! :(

Anyway, top right corner of the pushbutton menu TyGuy! Hope that means we see a new dungeon soon! :D
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

No, I guess I'm just not up to date. I have version 2.11, and I don't know what you mean by pushbutton section/menu, or the top right corner there. In my "Edit Pushbutton" menu, all I have are: Operated By (only that one in the top right corner), Target, Action, Wallgraphic, and a few other small things.

If I'm not just observing CSBuild incorrectly, I have 2 questions:
1. Can I make a 'gift from god' pushbutton in version 2.11?
2. Should I switch to a newer CSBuild? (I would only be using it for the creation of this one dungeon)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is no reason not to swap to the newest CSBuild, and you can't create a gift from god without it I'm afraid

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSBuild251.zip

You might get asked about databases if you do, but that's ignorable or you can look at the relevant topic to see how to get rid of the warning
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Ok, now I have the newest CSBuild. Sadly, the gift from god pushbutton only allows for a certain few objects to be gifted. Any possibility that could change in the near future?

And, the new CSBuild version seems to have dropped an item on the floor which was previously in an alcove on a trick wall. I wonder if I should just switch back to my old CSBuild version for this dungeon?
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Uh, it looks like the latest CSBuild also put an item on the floor which was in a normal alcove. Paul??
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That is nothign to do with CSBuild - items in trick walls are technically on the floor, just if there is an alcove there it displays them correctly (I believe) in the alcove

also, if you want to gift an item for pressing a switch directly to the hand, the DSA fucntiosn for move are a way to do it - have the simple push button activate a DSA that moves or adds an item into the hand of the party
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Hmm, I think I was having problems with that one anyway. Nevermind. A third alcove works correctly.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”