a silly question /limitation/

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

a silly question /limitation/

Post by Adamo »

I know it`s a silly question, but I`m inquisitive person. So why there`s a limit of floor dec/wall dec/monsters/door decs to 15 only in CSBuild? Especially there`s not that much decorations of floors and doors. What would happen if I put MORE monsters, than 15 in one level (by teleporting monsters of each type into certain level)? Is it safe, or the game may crash? Thx
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The original game engine had far MORE limitations than this. You could only have a few monster types and decorations per level. Paul has increased this significantly in CSBWin.

The original limitations were purely down to memory considerations.

If you teleport a monster into a level where you haven't set it as "available", it will automatically die. I don't know if it's possible to create more than 15 decorations.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Thanx Gambit! So, even if monster X is absolutely immortal, there`s allways a way to kill him and get his treasure by casting him down (pit) to another level, where "X" type is not set?

Ok, another obscene question: when a monster is teleported onto the tile allready occupied by another monster, then the previous one is automatically kileed, or in that case teleporter doesn`t working? What about if a monster falls on another monster or onto the party?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

A monster put on top of another monster
goes into a sort of limbo. Every now
and then it is re-attempted. You will see
these in the Timer list. They are not on the
map or on the level. They exist only as Timer
entries which tell where the monster should
go if/when it becomes possible.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

So, is it possible to disable the "limbo" ? I need it in my dungeon in many cases.

What i need: when 1st monster goes to a teleporter teleporting him onto another (2nd) monster, nothing should happen; the 1st monster won`t go to the limbo (where he waits until the destination tile will be unoccupied), but should treat this teleporter as an obvious wall (= stays in the same place, because teleporting him is not possible right now).
Later, if 1st monster goes to the teleporter again, the engine checks again if it is possible to teleport him; if not (the destination tile is still occupied), he moves nowhere ( = stays in the same place) or choose another direction (goes away).

I need this because when there`s an immortal monster (wchich nornmally moves) is surrounded by a monster teleporters teleporting him to the previous tile (= he can`t move), and some other monster goes into one of those teleporters, that other monster goes to the limbo and is lost forever (because 1st monster is immortal). I need to avoid that.

is it doable?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You would use a DSA to fake teleporters. If you step onto the trigger, then the DSA checks the contents of the destination tile. If it is clear, it does an &move, if it is not clear, it doens't. Actually, I have a funny feelign an &move just doens't work if the tile is filled anyway...
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ok, when I run the editor, there appear a warning:

Code: Select all

You haven`t decided, whether or not to have the runtime engine discard duplicate timer entries. See EDIT?Global/Databases
In database editor there`s a description:

Code: Select all

one word entry: non-zero causes duplicate timer entries to be discarded (the original game did this). Zero causes all timer messages to be delivered (more intuitive IMHO).
Does it means if I set it to non-zero value, the monsters won`t go to the limbo and stay in the previous place? If so, that would solve my problem.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, nothign to do with that, it's to do with multiple trigger activations goign to the same place

Again, use the &move in a DSA instead of teleporters
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Thanx Beo. Now another silly question: how exactly endgame actuator works? I tried to edit it, but it seems that this kind of actuators isn`t editable. I get the "there is nothing you can change" message

I put it on the ground and step on it, but nothing happened. if it`s useless, what is it for?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Hint......don't want to provide complete spoiler! ;-)

If you put a Monster Generator on the floor and
nothing happened when you stepped on it, would
you then declare that Monster Generators are useless?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I think a spiler is needed! You need to trigger it adamo...like any other type or wall object - I can't remember if it works just as well as a floor object
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

oops :oops: sure, I though you need to press it as an pressure pad to finsh a game.. :roll:

anyway, it works when is being set (on the wall)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”