DSA reacts on saving action

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

DSA reacts on saving action

Post by Adamo »

I wonder if it would be possible to make a DSA, that reacts on "saving game" action.. if DSAs could detect that.

What I need is that every time you save the game on level1, DSA triggers an actautor on this level at 1(x,y). Every time you save game on level2, the DSA triggers an actuator on this level at 2(x,y). You save game on level3 and actuator at 3(x,y) is triggered. Etc. Is that doable? If so, I guess I need one DSA targetting one destination tile on each level?

Then when the game is saved the engine could close the door on its level, generate a monster, etc.

thx
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In CSBwin this would be a bit more
complicated than it might seem. Because
of the Record/Playback business where
the saves can be removed from the playback
and would therefore change the game's state.
Not impossible, but more tricky than might
be obvious.

Moreover.......and most importantly, IMHO......
this is a BAD idea. Saving the game should not
be a part of the game. Saving the game should
be independent of the game state. Just as the
size of the window you are using to play the game
is independent of the game's state. Another example,
you would not want a giggler to appear because the
player was listening to the audio at volume level 2
rather than volume level 3. Or was playing the
game on a Sunday. Or was playing the game while
listening to a Beatles CD.

Moreover, I put CSBwin to rest except for egregious
bugs or fantasticly wonderful new ideas.

Therefore I will not consider implementing this feature.

But you might use the enable/disable saves feature
to allow saves in only very limited places and do your
thing if the player enters one of those areas.
Certainly not the same as what you requested but
if it is clear to the player that he should enter such an
area only for the purpose of saving then perhaps
the effect might be tolerably similar.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Entering this area may have no other purpose than to allow saving, and generate the effect of monster generation, etc

Sad to know you've put CSBwin to bed Paul, except that it is so amazingly versitile just now from its roots that I don't think anyone can complain!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I think the player should save the game anytime/anywhere he wants to. When a player is fighting with a horde of demons and he`s got a kilometer to the nearest save-point and... the phone calls, he`s got to stop the game (and be killed) or play the game and miss the call. So I think he should save anytime he wants to.

But otherwise what I wanted to do was to prevent a player from saving 50 times for a minute, when he`s fighting with dragon, etc.
So the best solution was to force him to pay somehow for each save. For example he could save anytime he wants when fighting with some nasty boss or anytime, but he shoud remember, that each save generates 1 mummy randomly in one of X places in a dungeon.

BTW: there was a topic somewhere about disabling/enabling the saves. I wrote there about paying for saving the game (you save the game = you loose 1 copper coin, for example). I though additional monsters would be the better idea.

But I agree: it`s a bad idea, if it needs an additional work with the code and some changes in the engine. It`s not worth of it. I was just curious if it is already doable by DSAing (I though Zyx told me once that it was possible using DSAs).
Anyway - if it would destroy or break the record/playback business, it is doubly unworth of changing!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”