DM original bugs

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

DM original bugs

Post by Adamo »

From what I remember, there were at least two bugs in the original code:

- shields were completely useless (didn`t work at all),
- anti-fire (I think) value almost didn`t work (gave only about 1/50 of intended protection),

I wonder if these things are changed (repaired) in the latest versions of CSBwin?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Re: DM original bugs

Post by Adamo »

"Animation" bugs (from graphics.dat item 559):

Code: Select all

04h (04) 1 word (big endian): 
Bits 15-14: Maximum vertical offset range. Defines the maximum vertical offset range to display the creature graphics. The exact value is randomly chosen in the range:
This value should probably have had the following effect: 
0: No animation 
1: -1 to +1 pixels 
2: -2 to +2 pixels 
3: -3 to +3 pixels 
But there seems to be a mistake in the code that produces this effect (a random modulo n output a number between 0 and 0-1, not between 0 and n. See function NextMonsterUpdateTime in CSBwin and the call to STRandom):

0: No animation 
1: No animation 
2: -1 to +1 pixels. In this case, the probabilities are:
Chances of having -1: 1/4
Chances of having 0: 2/4
Chances of having +1: 1/4 
3: -2 to +2 pixels In this case, the probabilities are:
Chances of having -2: 1/6
Chances of having -1: 1/6
Chances of having 0: 2/6
Chances of having +1: 1/6
Chances of having +2: 1/6 
For example, the Ruster should have been animated 1 pixel in both directions but it is not. No creature has a 3 pixels animation (as the Wasp should have).
Anyone knows any other bugs?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Adamo wrote:I wonder if these things are changed (repaired) in the latest versions of CSBwin?
As far as I know, the working of CSBwin was intended to be the same as DM as we remember it, so none of these gameplay bugs were fixed. Clones like DSB and RTC do attempt to rectify the issues while still remaining true to the DM experience as we remember it, because they're trying to duplicate the feel of DM without actually being DM.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Other bugs:

1) The Window spell moves with opening doors
2) "Item Clone" bug in early versions of DM (drop a fluxcage down a pit and clone an item in the fluxcage) -- causes all sorts of other wierdness too.
3) When your stamina is low your load allowance increases
4) Ghost player can rob items from sleeping champions
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

- killing your only champion when about to choose your second champion (using a poison cloud) made the player able to walk through walls.
(Seen a video on Utube, never tried to do this myself)

- using a rope without a pit nearby quickly increased ninja levels
(no cool-down inbetween).

- rope-training made the amor of the char useless after some time of training
(notice: "2" damage instead of "1" damage when bumping against walls).

- fireballs (any spell?) can pass through enemies when they move right at the time the fireball is about to reach the square of the enemy. The chance is -very- little though.

- Mophus
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

T0Mi wrote:using a rope without a pit nearby quickly increased ninja levels
(no cool-down inbetween).
That reminds me of another bug-- you can climb down closed pits. Or at least, you could in earlier versions of CSBwin. I don't know the status of this bug in other versions of DM, or in current CSBwin releases.
T0Mi wrote:fireballs (any spell?) can pass through enemies when they move right at the time the fireball is about to reach the square of the enemy. The chance is -very- little though.
Are you sure about this one? In clone versions, anyway, it's actually common enough that it is something that had to be addressed-- I recall old versions of DSB having this glitch. I remember thinking that it wasn't worth worrying about at first, but it turned out to happen often enough I had to deal with it. I think DM did it right.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

T0Mi wrote:- fireballs (any spell?) can pass through enemies when they move right at the time the fireball is about to reach the square of the enemy. The chance is -very- little though.
Is it really a "bug"? Doesn't it have something to do with the tick-system of the game and order in which things are processed? I don't know, just an uninformed thought... Paul Stevens will explain everything when he comes. :D
Gambit37 wrote:The Window spell moves with opening doors.
ROFL! I didn't notice it before! :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

For me that effect happens more often.
Another thing that happened with my clone (that may be an own bug - or it's already fixed together with the timer things in CSBwin):
- If you save a game while the attacker's hand is disabled and you reload, the state remains forever for that character, the attack button is never ready again.
Then, there's one wall near a gate that flips diagonally if you press a button.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

What about partially non-functioning "ANTIFIRE" value (gave only about 1/50 of intended protection)? I think it`s Sophia that found that in a code. There`s not a word about that in Encyclopedia:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/691
Edit: damn, I already mentioned it in my first post. Never mind, the thread is bumped. I wonder if current version of clones consider it as a bug and uses the corrected function?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

the "corrected function" might not feel right. This is like getting used to bugs and like them in a way.

Fireshield spells are the way to go...I do remember that a friend of mine had a really weird daroou character, (we played each with 4 champions) when killing off the party with a fireball (mon ful ir´s ) darouu could stand trice as much as the others.. he could hardly be killed! Was really an exceptional difference.
I suppose this was due to a cursed armor and the luck statistic..
could have something to do ?maybe with values (health , stamina) going over the top(999+). trained very much in the screamer room back then...He did not know what he did to get that monster fireresistant champion. of course
anyway I guess this daroou would be how it were if antifire were to be "corrected".

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”