Linux version of CSBwin

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Christoph
Craftsman

Linux version of CSBwin

Post by Christoph »

Because I've received a couple of questions about this due to my previous post about my successful compilation of 11.067, I'm currently planning the following:
  1. Make a start script for Linux.
  2. Make a generic installation script for Linux (nothing distribution specific, just for /usr/local/).
  3. Make a german documentation file as well.
  4. Make a source package containing all this along with the current 12.100 source.
  5. Make a binary package with those 2 files and CSBwin for i686.
  6. Try to compile an AMD64 version as well.
The scripts are intended to ease a system wide installation on any Linux version without interfering with existing things, providing a central place for the game files (a common place for any number of different "dungeon.dat" and all the other games' files.)

I hope that these can be made available at the common places where previous versions exist, to solve the distribution problem once and for all, rather than getting individual questions.

The following things already exist:

Binary of the current version 12.100 for Linux (i686, NOT AMD64):
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSB ... 2.100v0.gz
This one has a small Hint Oracle bug repaired, but is otherwise equal to 12.0 (at least on Linux).

Source of the version 12.0:
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSB ... Source.zip
This is essentially a slightly modified 11.067 from the Linux point of view. It repairs the broken build files (notably "Makefile.am") and thanks to Paul Stevens a few Linux-incompatible changes in the Windows source. Other than the widely available 10.0 and the 11.014 this version is able to save and restore games under my current Linux (Debian Squeeze), as well as running the current Conflux dungeon.

I've found some german language related files in the source tree, does anybody know what those are good for?
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Re: Linux version of CSBwin

Post by Christoph »

Christoph wrote:
  1. Make a start script for Linux.
  2. Make a generic installation script for Linux (nothing distribution specific, just for /usr/local/).
  3. Make a german documentation file as well.
  4. Make a source package containing all this along with the current 12.100 source.
  5. Make a binary package with those 2 files and CSBwin for i686.
All done and tested; sent to ChristopheF, Sphenx, Jibanes, Paul Stevens, Gilles Bouthenot, and to the Admin here due to requests and/or to put them onto their sites/test them.
Christoph wrote:[*]Try to compile an AMD64 version as well.
This is done as well; it compiled rather fine with a few warnings, but segfaults on loading the "graphics.dat" of Conflux.

Please help finding the bug if you can. The source package now contains a better list of required development packages.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

The first answer I got shows nicely the main problem of the Linux version nowadays:

It depends on rather old library versions. I cannot fix that on my own, for me it's easier to make old stuff compile and run.
  • Glib 1.2 is needed
  • GTK 1.2 is needed for the menu window
  • It uses Esound = ESD, and the sound in a complex environment like Conflux with huge amounts of sound events is horrible
Perhaps someone is willing to make it compatible to modern Linuxes, preferably without introducing new annoying dependencies, which eventually will become old annoying dependencies?
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

Any suggestions? I'd like to make it work with pure ALSA without requiring a sound server.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

Sorry, confused things, not 12.100, as mentioned in the other posts, I'm currently at 12.3 with overlays "stolen" from Pandora 11.059. This should NOT make any difference, though, because 12.100 and 12.3 don't differ Linux-wise.

Download a working Linux version for i486 and up here:

LINK UPDATED!
https://www.wuala.com/ChFr/www/CSBwin_C ... key=csbwin

You MUST have the required x86 shared libraries installed! This is NOT an AMD64 version and CANNOT be built natively from source in 64 Bits.

Please read the instructions carefully, especially files dated 2011/2012.
Installation script must be called as "root"!
You HAVE TO manually install dungeon files into appropriate directories at the moment.
Please note that the Conflux file also found under the above URL is the original from Zyx intended for Windows, so not all files are needed.
There is now an additional Conflux Package with a Linux intallation script to be found at the above location. Using both binary packages with their installation scripts creates a runnable Installation of CSBwin and Conflux. If problems while or after installing occur, don't bother Zyx or Paul Stevens, ask here instead, it's most likely a Linux related problem.Conflux updated to the current WIP004. You must begin a new game to see all changes.
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

NEW Linux version 12.3v1 of CSBwin

Post by Christoph »

NEW: Pulseaudio and graphics overlays included now!

CSBwin_12.3v1_Linux_i486.zip (Linux installation package)
CSBwin_12.3v1_Source.zip (Source code for Linux and Windows)
Removed because of errors found today, v1.1 will be released soon.

Because I had problems with native Pulseaudio-support making CSBwin too slow, there is a special startup script "csbwin-pulse.sh" for that option. Please test.

I left the old version also there in case you encounter problems with this one:
https://www.wuala.com/ChFr/www/CSBwin_C ... key=csbwin
Christoph
Christoph
Craftsman

New Linux version 12.3v1.1 of CSBwin

Post by Christoph »

New version 12.3v1.1.

Works like the binary from 12.3v1, but has changed debug output, misleading ESD warnings removed, printf for function's result instead.
Christoph

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”