I'm stepping down: Who wants my Tech role?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

I'm stepping down: Who wants my Tech role?

Post by Gambit37 »

I have decided that I want to step down as an administrator and just become a regular forum member.

In addition, the technical role that I fulfil in managing the software and keeping things ticking over, is now open to someone else

I would like to pass over the technical administration to someone who has the skills and inclination to keep things up to date. In real terms, because of the recent upgrade work that I did, that probably means you won't need to do much unless:

1) The forums get hacked.
2) It's decided to upgrade to a new version of the software or change to different software entirely.
3) It's ever decided to move to another host.

I am happy to guide whoever takes on the role and to explain what I did in the last round of updates so that any future work doesn't break the forum. However, once initial transfer of roles is done, I don't want to be involved in running the forum anymore. If you take on the role and need help, you'll have to research it the same way I did. The one exception is that I'm happy to share my knowledge of HTML/CSS best practice for anyone wanting to improve things.

I would like to have passed on this responsibility by the end of June 2008. If it hasn't been passed on, It is my intention to step down regardless.

Whoever takes the role will need basic HTML, PHP and SQL skills and some knowledge of phpMyAdmin and FTP. You would also have to commit to taking backup of the forum database at least once a week -- just in case the worse happens. You'll also have to deal with the technical fallout if you break things. Serious problems (hacking) have always been fixed by the ISP without my intervention, though sometimes the database has been rolled back to an older backup and messages lost.

Please bear in mind that Cowsmanaut owns and pays for the domain and hosting, and that it is hosted on a server in Czech republic. As far as I know, we do not have access to a control panel for the server. I would strongly recommend that whoever takes on the role gets that sorted out as their first priority, so that you can more easily manage databases, set up email addresses, etc.

Do you have a proven track record of managing forums or websites? Do you have the skills and inclination and more importantly, the time?

I look forward to seeing who's in the application queue... :)

Finally, I'd just like to say a little about my decision to step down. I've been managing these forums for close to five years. I used to enjoy it but it's no longer fulfilling and I want to invest what little spare time I now have into other things that are more rewarding. In addition, I would like to experience the forums as a simple member and not have to worry anymore about moderation, admin duties or software updates. It's been fun but it's time to move on. Thanks to all who supported me over the years, your appreciation is... appreciated! :D
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ME!!! I always wanted to delete posts/topics and ban people!! ;) Give me the power and I`ll clean it up!!! :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's exactly why you won't be considered! :D

I assume you are joking... This role isn't just about that, it's far more responsible than just twatting people or threads.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You did a great job over these years.
I guess less forum means more codex and other personal projects.

I'm OK to do the technical stuff.
I'm less interested in day to day administration/moderation but we might promote another moderator to do this job (if needed because we already have some).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, thanks Christophe for putting your name forward for the tech role. Are you sure about that -- I guess you already have to do a lot of similar work on the Enyclopedia?

I think there are probably enough mods already and since the forum upgrade there is very little to do technically on a regular basis (spam deletion). Also, there isn't a great need here for close moderation of members as we're an easy going bunch which lots of common sense, unlike many other forums.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As Gambit says, if the admin side needs it, we can always promote another one, but I think at the moment we are fine - we have a core of moderators, and a few admins, and nothing ,especially now without spammers, needs instant admin!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I understand there is not a lot of work required here for now.
However it is only a matter of time until there are upgrades to perform:
- phpbb security updates,
- a required upgrade to the newest version because the support is ending for our current version
- an upgrade of the mods you put in place to fight spammers that may one day find a way to bypass the current security measures

I know I can handle such operations, that is why I propose my help. If someone else wants to do it, I'm fine with that.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm resurrecting this because things have changed.

I never really stepped down from either role in the end. The forum was so much a part of my life that after a while I continued to do little tweaks and updates and I found that it was necessary to exercise some admin duties too. So I have actually continued in my existing role, albeit in a small way, since making that original announcement and no one has either noticed, or minded :-)

There are some ideas I have for how to improve the site going forward. I've mentioned these briefly to Adam. I will post my proposal in a couple of weeks about the possibilities; suffice to say that the Codex could finally see the light of day on this very site! :-)

So, I hope nobody is too upset that I am still in fact an admin and technical contributor. Many thanks to Christophe who has also taken on some responsibilities here -- do you want to continue to do so? I would be very grateful for your continued assistance! :-)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

First of all, I would like to say that I very much appreciate all Admin`s role on maintaining this unique site. In fact, this is my favourite site on the net! You`re all doing a great job. Thank you :!:
suffice to say that the Codex could finally see the light of day on this very site
:shock: :D 8) :o :D :P :twisted: :idea: :!:
all I can say is "yes"!!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have no problem with you still doing things here, on the contrary. If it can bring us some of the long awaited codex, then I'm fine :)
If I can can be of any assistance --though I doubt it knowing your skills-- I will gladly help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm pleased we resolved the recent problems, but after careful thought while on holiday, I've realised my views on some issues make my admin/mod position here untenable: I can't continue to contribute to the running of the site or forums, despite my post of 20/Dec.

I would like to become a normal member and that means to have my admin and mod rights rescinded and to pass the tech stuff over to someone else. Sophia previously expressed interest -- are you still keen, Sophia?

Sorry for any hopes about the Codex surfacing here. That will continue as a personal project and will launch on dmcodex.com this year.

I'm happy to work with whoever takes on the tech role to get them up to speed and exchange any info/tips, etc.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:I would like to become a normal member and that means to have my admin and mod rights rescinded and to pass the tech stuff over to someone else. Sophia previously expressed interest -- are you still keen, Sophia?
Yikes, I offered to help you, not try to run the show myself! I am actually not sure if I'm qualified to do anything major. I also occasionally get rather busy and disappear for short intervals. Then again, you've done a fine job over the years-- spammers seem to be mostly a thing of the past-- so there might not be that much major to actually do or any time pressures when to do it.

That said, I can always learn, and I do know enough to not trash the db. :D So if you can't find anyone else more qualified, I will do it. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, someone's first job would be to figure out why you can't demote admins to users without it generating an error!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I think it's the forum not wanting Gambit to step down.

"Aww.. but he was always so good to me.." :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Exactly!

Well, I was using a test member out of interest to see what would happened, but maybe the forum knew it cold be used for something like this!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Am I going mad? Did someone send me a PM? It said I have 1 new one, but when I went in, there was nothing there....

I think the forum is messing with us...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It has become self aware... Judgement Day in 21 seconds and counting!

*runs*
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:Am I going mad? Did someone send me a PM? It said I have 1 new one, but when I went in, there was nothing there....

I think the forum is messing with us...
Why not remain a 'admin' type, with others understanding you're not going to be that involved in that capacity?

Unless of course, it would be against your principles to do that, at this time. :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It would be an easy solution of the problem of not being able to demote people. :P
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

MasterWuuf wrote:Why not remain a 'admin' type, with others understanding you're not going to be that involved in that capacity?Unless of course, it would be against your principles to do that, at this time. :?:
It would be too tempting to step in and use those powers: I don't want to be in that position anymore.

No worries; if it comes down to it, I'll hack the database directly to set myself as a 'normal' user. But of course, someone should get the password to the DB changed once my new status is established...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

someone's first job would be to figure out why you can't demote admins to users without it generating an error!
The error was caused by a SQL syntax error in file admin_ug_auth.php (a missing space before a WHERE keyword).
This file was modified from the original phpbb file when the "Global Annoucement" mod was installed on the forum and this caused the issue. I have fixed this error in two locations in the file and now we can demote users from "admin" to "user". I did it for you Gambit, if you ever want your rights back, just ask.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh well, that's it then. I had imagined actually getting some input into who would take on the tech role before I took voluntary demotion, but I guess you've had enough of me already. :)
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have admin access to the ftp site and Sophia's offered, so we can take it to the admins and mods and see what is said.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not quite, I believe you are back to admin status again!

I think the important point is how ordinary a member do you wish to be? Obviously many regulars as still mods, even if they don't mod a forum - would you still like this ability as a respected regular?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Sorry Gambit, I made you admin again.

I already offered to help when I first replied to this thread back in march, I am still OK to take on the tech role here.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As I disagree with the amount of moderators we have here, it doesn't make sense for mean to remain a mod, and honestly I no longer want to be a part of the decision making process here. So, no mod status for me thanks.

Let me quote you what I wrote to Adam in PM:
've just realised that I have some fundamentally different philosophical beliefs about the way the forums are run; in fact, I've always had them, I just didn't realise until this recent explosion why I felt uncomfortable about certain things. The subsequent discussions highlighted the issues clearly for me.

This puts me in an awkward position as far as being an admin/mod, so my only option is to stand down. If you'd like a more detailed explanation with all my reasons, I'm happy to provide it, but further discussion won't change my conclusion about my position.

There's nothing weird here, even if it might seem that way. I just had some time to think about things clearly and I realised my views about the way things should be done are different from the way things are (and will be) done, and I will always feel conflicted about that.
Hopefully this should clarify that I don't see my position as a 'respected moderator or admin' in any way compatible with my future contributions to the board. So it's best to make me a standard user. I just would have preferred to have that done once I know who's taking on the back-end work.

It seemed a bit rude to remove my rights before we had a clear way forward. That's like me saying "I'm standing down..." and being pushed out of my seat before I've even finished talking.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Again, I'm sorry to have removed your rights so quickly. I honestly (and mistakenly) thought you wanted it done asap, that's why I did it after fixing the issue. I thought beowuuf tried it and was only blocked by the issue I described, so I assumed it was OK to do the change once the issue was fixed. Obviously I was wrong and in the end your rights were only removed for a few minutes.
I really didn't mean to push you out of your seat. In fact I'm sad to see you go but I don't try to argue as you made it quite clear that nothing would make you change your mind.

Beowuff opened a new thread where we'll discuss the way forward. Once we have your notification, we'll remove all your admin and mod permissions if this is still what you wish.

By the way, I also agree we have too much admins and mods (see my other post in the mods only forum).
One thing I quickly learned by the example in my professional life as an IT engineer is that the less admins there are in a system, the less trouble you have in the end. This is always true, even if it sometimes takes years for people to understand that basic rule, often after some catastrophic mistake or confusion.
Last edited by ChristopheF on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thanks Christophe, it's fine, just a misunderstanding. I probably didn't make it clear enough in my post above.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Christophe, I'm happy to have you do the job if you have the time. Since Gambit doesn't want it anymore.

It's a shame that you don't want it anymore, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

it's interesting that so much can happen in one day :P I went to pick up Sandie yesterday and clean house for her return and so wasn't on.. and now I come back and see all of this :P

glad it resolved itself :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Bah! If you have your woman back you can leave wading through discussions for another day! :D