The forum has been upgraded!

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

The forum has been upgraded!

Post by ChristopheF »

The forum upgrade to phpbb version 3 is now complete. I hope you will like it!
The complete upgrade process took about 4 hours during which the forum was not accessible.

Please tell me if you find any issues after this upgrade.

Note to other admins: if you have to make some changes in the configuration to fix issues, please keep me informed of the changes made. I am writing a document to list all the customizations and configuration choices that we have in place.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: The forum has been upgraded!

Post by beowuuf »

The only change I have made is swapping the order of the forums back to how they were before!

Very, very nice job Christophe! Many, many thanks!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Whoohoo! We're back! Thanks for upgrading. I guess I will need a lot of time to get myself accustomed to the new layout though.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Nice. :mrgreen:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

errmmm... yes ! but very blue :)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Awesome, excellent work Christophe. I'm glad it didn't take you as long as it took me the last time I did it. How come it was so quick? It took many, many hours to upgrade the database when I last tried it!

It's gonna take a while to get used to the user info on the right, but actually it make more sense when you think about it.

OK, well in a few months I might have some time to make a theme. I already have a lot of graphics developed for one that I never got around to using, so it would be good to put them to some use.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I actually think having the user info on the right makes a lot less sense. Your eyes tend to be on the left side of the screen since every line starts there, so having the user info there makes it easier to associate the post with the poster. At least, that's how I see it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just logged in and thought "Wargh!" - had forgotten about this even though the forum was down the last time I tried to log in (earlier this evening) and I had known it was gonna be upgraded anyway. It looks alright to me, though I'm more used to having the poster info on the left side of the screen. I'm guessing it's staying as it is though so I shall have to get used to it but meh. Apart from that I think I like it though, although admittedly I've been online all of about three minutes ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Your avatar was broken Ameena, but I restored it.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Thank you Christophe.
Two remarks: I prefer to have the avatars on the left, like Trantor.
When searhing for new messages (http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/sea ... d=newposts), could the forums of each posts be in bold letters?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

not fond of the icons used to note new posts in this skin, felt a little too subtle for my taste.. I would rather a big impact image for those, but I guess I could do something for that..

posted some potential images for a new banner in the other thread about the upgrade.. they were done quickly, so if there are any modifications people would like to see, or repairs etc I could easily do that. :)

Thanks again Christophe!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have plans for a theme similar to my old Codexdark, only much improved. However, I don't want to make any start on that until I've spoken to Christophe about the best way to manage these, since we don't want to get into the same state as before where we have to update lost of skins each time a new update is required.

Christophe, when I make a new theme, I would like to make changes to the HTML (since some things on proSilver aren't very sensible or are missing compared to what we had before.) Will this be a problem?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

currently the * is used to indicate a "mine" aspect to topics.. I guess mentioning that you've posted in it.. not sure what use that is really.. so I used it as a symbol for "Sticky" instead in this mock up.. I've got all the images done. Red is unread, blue read, white is info, then with a silver ring it's normal, and gold ring is a hot topic. I may make the gold a little more subtle since it's popping more than I would like.. trying to find that balance.. I just want the read and unread more visible

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... _forum.jpg
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I wondered what the star was, yes, very confusing! I thought it meant popular. But the popular one is the scrolling lines one I think.

I'll go back to using my little open and closed book icons when I do my theme, that was nice and obvious :-)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

How come it was so quick?
The actual conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3 only took 20 minutes.
The longest task was reindexing all posts for the built-in search engine (1 hour).
During my tests (before the beta 2 weeks ago), I noticed that the configuration of mysql had a huge impact on performance. The mysql configuration wizard has several choices. With the smallest memory footprint choice, the performance was very slow. By configuring mysql to use as much memory as it could, the performance was ten times better!
when I make a new theme, I would like to make changes to the HTML (since some things on proSilver aren't very sensible or are missing compared to what we had before.) Will this be a problem?
Have look on the FTP: in the /forum/styles folder, there is a subfolder for each style. And below, there is a folder containing lots of HTML templates that you can customize. So, as long as you don't need to change the core files of phpbb, this will not be a problem.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thanks ever so much for the work, Christophe.
Also to any additional effort by the designers amongst us!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

if you like the suggested icon change let me know and I'll transfer the icons to Christophe, I may need the names of some of the other icons as my wording on some of them was guessed at, and there may be other special case ones..
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have installed the subsilver2 style (supplied with phpbb3), customized with the MODs.
This style looks a bit more like the previous forum style (including avatars on the left).

Each user can choose their style in their "User Control Panel".
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thanks Christophe!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Excellent work, Christophe, thank you very very much.

It always takes me days to get used to new interface and look of webpages, but in this case, it took me just A FEW MINUTES.

:D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!