can we please have an UPLOAD KB?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
chiefy
Big chief

can we please have an UPLOAD KB?

Post by chiefy »

I have found uploading a dungeon enormously difficult

so where is the "step by step" detailed "guide" on uploading a dungeon?

IMHO we need a Knowledge Base on uploading

uploading for DM, uploading for LOG uploading for any other clone, just one Knowledge Base that details with each system :lol:
PetriH wrote:chiefy: Actually quite a lot has changed :) If you have the game on Steam, you can simply publish your work in Steam Workshop using the Dungeon Editor (select Publish from the window menu). Currently there is 625 custom dungeons in the Steam Workshop. Alternatively there is Grimrock Nexus where you can download and upload dungeons, monsters, items, portraits and other modding resources.
see here's an example, this is typical information that is too vague, not enough detail, take the part that says " Alternatively there is Grimrock Nexus where "

when you click on that WHERE DO YOU GO TO UPLOAD? WHERE? No upload button, no upload page, basically no upload :|

and so it goes on, round and round, a modder shouldn't be "left to sort it out" in such a fashion, we need concrete "STEP BY STEP" instructions FOR EACH system IMHO
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: can we please have an UPLOAD KB?

Post by beowuuf »

Well, to help you in specific, if you go to the nexus site, you'll see that if you hover the mouse over the first button - files - has the menu option 'add a file' down near the bottom. I presume you will need to create an account there first (top right not logged in has the 'create account option when you click on it)

The LoG community is really a separate community with it's own forums on Almost Human's website, and on Steam itself. We will happily link any guides if someone finds a good one, or if you make one, but I think the core group here are far from experts in the needs of LoG dungeons.

For dungeons here, there is one big problem - we aren't giving out an upload facility here. We have filespace that the admins can use if you e-mail us stuff, or if we download ourselves and mirror. That's why a mod has to sort it out - it's far less hassle in terms of set up and maintenance, and won't be amused, as opposed to allowing uploads.

So for this site it is a case of figuring out a way to host it yourself to start with, even on a temporary site like mediafire, etc, and then we can host it if someone catches it as a mirror.

A guide for that thing could be done, but some of the 'best' and easiest options for the bulk of people are also the ones I personally would not officially sanction. Mediafire and rapidshare have confusing adverts, file download limits, etc. They are fine for initially sharing it until better can be established, but I hate having those links around because its too easy for a downloader to not get the file, and accidentally click on an evil advert.

If anyone has any old dungeons, it's probably easier to contact someone like myself or Gambit directly to either host the file or tailor a filesharing option to that user.

It's probably something to deal with eventually, but I'm not technically minded enough to be that person!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As Beowuuf pointed out, there are a lot of issues with providing an upload facility for forum members.
While I understand that it would make things a lot easier for members, I'm not really happy to possibly open up the server to abuse through this avenue.
There is also the issue that the server does not have unlimited resources and/or bandwidth, and if people start uploading large Grimrock dungeons (for example), we would soon exhaust our server resources and could go offline.

I would prefer that the server resources are used to keep the forums up and running, than provide features that could actually cause their demise. The forums are provided for free at my expense, previously Cowsmanaut and Beowuuf have provided the access out of their own pocket. We don't ask for contributions from members, but something like an upload feature would probably require us to ask for donations and I don't really want to have to get into all that.

As for a Knowledge Base on how to upload, all I can ask is that you help us out by writing some. This community is small, and everyone is busy with their real lives. We have limited time to be able to write things like that, so we rely on forum members to help out. We can't do everything ourselves, so would appreciate that when a member finds a need for something missing from the forum, they take the initiative and start to fill in those gaps by making those resources themselves.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

is there a way to get a static page listing all dungeons uploaded on DM.com ? (except the pinned topic in custom dungeons)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

^^^ I can probably enable a directory listing on that folder so that it's directly viewable in your browser.

EDIT: Done here: http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/dungeon/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Of course, the trouble with that is contextless some files are ??? :)

Which reminds me, I need to upload the SNAS port files tonight.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks Gambit and sorry it was little OT.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No problem, you're welcome :-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

"UPLOAD"
I have no problem uploading dungeons, in case someone here wiches to have a look to it.
I simply help myself.
I upload the file to an FTP account of mine.
I use a FTP client.
I publish the URL of the file in a DM forum post.
Then I check, to make sure it works, downloading the file using the published link.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman