Experimenting with a Mobile Theme

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Experimenting with a Mobile Theme

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi all

I've installed a mobile theme for the forum. If you vist the forum on your tablet or smartphone, the mobile theme should automatically load.
It's very minimal and lacks some features and functionality (post icons, avatars etc.), but should be much faster to load on mobile devices.
I know it looks a bit ugly, but if you have a smartphone and browse the forums while mobile, I'd appreciate your feedback on this theme.

I can't really test this out any other way, so apologies in advance if you really hate it. You can always switch to the full version of the site using a link at the top or bottom of each page in the mobile theme.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Experimenting with a Mobile Theme

Post by beowuuf »

Well my phone took ages to load it (I guess downloading a new version of the cache or something) but otherwise it seemed to look the same. Still have the icons and avatars, etc
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmm, not working for you then. It's super minimal, no graphics, blue on white. What phone do you have?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

HTC wildfire. I am using the normal internet browser. It must kick in sometimes, because nationalrail and vue cinema do go to the reduced format

Edit: I should say I'm mentioning it obviously to support the cool effort, for DM.com I'm actually personally happy to use the normal website. The few times I check on my phone, it's loaded well enough.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

It seems to work fine on my Lumia 800. Not very nice indeed, but very functional on small screens. That said, I never visit the forum on my phone... itwas the first time!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm trying it out to see if it solves all the problems I get with the normal site on Android Chrome: I can't enter replies longer than a couple of lines without textareas expanding to stupid sizes and becoming unusable due to weird pinch-and-zoom errors.

If this theme doesn't work out well, I'll look at other options.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't tried to reply here. I've replied once on RPoL ok, the text interface just took up the whole screen like it was a text message, etc until I came out of it. Will try later to see if this phone has that issue on the site.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I just have a dumb phone that has no worthwhile web browsing ability, but I looked at it on an iPod Touch and it looks nice. :)

The mobile theme does not show up when I look at the site on my iPad, which I appreciate! Although it has gotten better as tablets have become more popular, it seems like there are still more than a few sites that force tablet users onto the "moble" version of the site which is needlessly stripped down for the greater screen size and power of the tablet.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting: the mobile theme kicks in on both my HTC Sensation phone and Nexus 7 tablet. I haven't looked at how they detect mobile, it might be interesting to see if I can tweak it so I get the full site on the Nexus 7.