Longer Auto Logoff time needed

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Longer Auto Logoff time needed

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I was just writing a long post with a lot of inciteful and diligent research, and found I'd been automatically logged out of the forum while in the middle of writing my post. Luckily I managed to salvage my post and get it though anyways, but I have lost posts to this in the past, as I'm sure other members have too.

I'd like the amount of idle time before the forum automatically logs a member off to be lengthened so this does not cause a problem in the future.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Longer Auto Logoff time needed

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm,I looked in the settings and can't see anything that controls the time limit. I think it's a hard coded time limit in the session management code and is there for security reasons.

I'd suggest that you prepare long posts in a word processor first and then copy that into the forum when you're ready. Hopefully that will work for you?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm in the habit of hitting Crtl+A and then Ctrl+C whenever I finish writing a post, so that if it messes up I can just Ctrl+V it back again :).
Master Superior

Gambit37 wrote:Hmmm,I looked in the settings and can't see anything that controls the time limit. I think it's a hard coded time limit in the session management code and is there for security reasons.

I'd suggest that you prepare long posts in a word processor first and then copy that into the forum when you're ready. Hopefully that will work for you?
I can fully understand the need for security. It's too bad you don't have any control over that feature though, as the limit to me seems a bit too strict.
Ameena wrote:I'm in the habit of hitting Crtl+A and then Ctrl+C whenever I finish writing a post, so that if it messes up I can just Ctrl+V it back again :).
Yup, I learned that lesson myself when I had a long post lost when something messed up. If all else fails I can cnrl+v it to notepad and save it if it's important and things aren't showing any signs of getting better (ie: the forum's down).

Anyhow, that's definitely good advice. Still, it would've been nice if that were an adjustable setting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Out of interest, how long do you judge this time limit to be? I thought it was an hour which should be long enough for most things.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I have a Firefox add-on called textarea-cache for that problem, also helps with accidently closed browser tabs.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I have never had this problem. I keep the "log me on automatically each visit" checkbox checked. Maybe that will help?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I too never had this issue, and I too have the check box on as Sophia suggests.. I've left posts incomplete for days at a time.. I get a slight warning once I go to post them after that long, but hitting the submit a second time usually sends the file just fine, I'm also using Chrome if that has anything to do with it.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Well I really don't understand what all the fuss is ab
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

^Ha, funny!

I think administrators aren't constrained by any time limits as I too have never seen this problem.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Like SU, I experienced the same problem twice. Took a while to write my post and when I was ready to submit I was logged out. The first time I lost all my text. The 2nd time I was more wiser to write in a word processor.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

LOL, yeah, I think most of those who've written a long post have lost it at least once before learning to be careful of the auto log off. Of course, usually when I write a long post, I don't initially intend for it to be long, but when I start writing it, I get on a roll and it just ends up that way. :wink: :roll:

I guess you could also try hitting the "Preview" button to generate some sort of activity to let the system know you're still active...