Logout while typing a long PM

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
terkio
Mon Master

Logout while typing a long PM

Post by terkio »

Please DO something about it.
I was caught again forgetting to save before submiting.......to see I had been logged out and LOST my very long message. :x
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Logout while typing a long PM

Post by Gambit37 »

How long are you taking to write these long messages?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

That one was half an hour may be more.
A detailed report about testing a custom game. I spend a lot of time rewriting, checking my text, spelling and grammar.
So, now to make sure I prepare such a text in wordpad.

The submit button should not be there when it doesn' t submit at all. Once logged out, with no warning, the submit button sends to the login menu.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The problem is that a user session is only extended when you move around the forum doing things. If you stay on one page for a long time doing nothing, the session timer runs out and you are logged out for security. If you're writing a long message and taking time to do so, the forum will log you out at your next action, because it's not smart enough to know you were writing all that time -- it just thinks you were inactive.

I'll have look to see if there's a way we can improve this, but I can't make any promises sorry.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've checked the session logout time which is currently set to one hour. This should be more than adequate for most users.

There's another setting connected to IP address validation which may be causing problems for you Terkio. I've changed that to a less-aggressive mode. Perhaps you could test this for me - logout, then login and go to compose a private message and leave the window alone for 30+ minutes, then click submit and see what happens...? Thanks.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I always hit Ctrl+C before sending any post in any forum (or e-mail messages), just in case the page or my connection (or something else) messes up and I lose the message. I think it's always worth doing even if it's on a site that's normally perfectly reliable.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:I always hit Ctrl+C before sending any post in any forum (or e-mail messages), just in case the page or my connection (or something else) messes up and I lose the message. I think it's always worth doing even if it's on a site that's normally perfectly reliable.
Yeah, I do the same. Except I sometimes hit X instead of C because they're next to each other and then things start to go terribly wrong... :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I am allergic to keyboard short cuts. Computers should do the stupid work, not users. Software designers should put "cut copy paste" buttons. :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Gambit37 wrote:- logout, then login and go to compose a private message and leave the window alone for 30+ minutes, then click submit and see what happens...? Thanks.
I did so, 35 minutes. Submit did a preview ( may be I hit wrongly the preview button ) then Submit did submit the message.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmmm... Must have been the IP thing for me.
I was logged out after approx 10 mins last night.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Jan - if you hit X instead of C, then do Ctrl-Z to undo it (or just Ctrl-V to paste what you just accidentally cut) and it should all reappear :).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:Jan - if you hit X instead of C, then do Ctrl-Z to undo it (or just Ctrl-V to paste what you just accidentally cut) and it should all reappear :).
Yeah, well, of course in theory I know. But in practise I panic and start doing random things. You know, like when you meet a Giant Scorpion in DM for the first time. Only to me it happens always. :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

You throw your leather pants at the screen and run into a nearby wall too? I thought I was the only one!

Ahem. Anyway, to keep my post on topic I probably should mention something about logging out. It used happen to me sometimes when writing a long post on the D&D thread. Very annoying, but in the end I just got into the habit of doing what Ammena says and copied to the clipboard before submitting. I probably should do that by default for most long messages.
comarin
Neophyte

Post by comarin »

Still the amount of time a person stays logged on could be increased a little to prevent this situation from happening from anyone. No one wins when a long well thought out forum topic gets deleted before it can even be seen.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Yeah, suffered the error and belittled for it
keep your gor coin handy