weird titles to messages

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

weird titles to messages

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Today messages received from admin@dungeon-master.com had some funky text, 6 messages were garble like this

=?UTF-8?B?VG9waWMgcmVwbHkgbm90aWZpY2F0aW9uIC0gIkZhdm9yaXRlIE9uZSBMaW5l?=

Not sure what to make of it, has there been a change or has someone been hacking the accounts? it still points to the forum.

keep your gor coin handy
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: weird titles to messages

Post by ChristopheF »

I have checked in the Admin Control Panel of the forum, and there were some error messages on the front page regarding some PHP text encoding settings:
Function overloading is improperly configured
mbstring.func_overload must be set to either 0 or 4. You can check the current value on the PHP information page.

Transparent character encoding is improperly configured
mbstring.encoding_translation must be set to 0. You can check the current value on the PHP information page.

HTTP input character conversion is improperly configured
mbstring.http_input must be set to pass. You can check the current value on the PHP information page.

HTTP output character conversion is improperly configured
mbstring.http_output must be set to pass. You can check the current value on the PHP information page.

Gambit, in the hosting cPanel, under "Software and Services", I opened "PHP version" and selected version 5.6 instead of version "5.4 (native)" that was selected.
This seems to have fixed the error messages.
I'm not sure if this is related to the messages that you received, chaos-shaman.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, something changed on the server which the hosting company is investigating. But switching it tp PHP5.6 is a good idea anyway, so I'll consider that fixed. Thanks for sorting it :-)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It is working fine now, thanks.
keep your gor coin handy