Conflux II questions

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm not hinting at anything, like the bones with words and certain areas, some are just nice mood things, but everyopne always treats a dungeon as a hack and slash and try to kill and blow up everything

SOmetimes a tree is just a tree...and other times a tree does have something of value when you kill it...

Post by Guest »

beowuuf wrote:I'm not hinting at anything, like the bones with words and certain areas, some are just nice mood things, but everyopne always treats a dungeon as a hack and slash and try to kill and blow up everything

SOmetimes a tree is just a tree...and other times a tree does have something of value when you kill it...

Bah... you're doing that on purpose... lol
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed I am : )

See, this is another reason people should register - they can pester people in pm's for info that the person might not want to share in the general forum

If there is any

Which there may not be
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

you bad people! Stop tickling my players. I was here first. Their soul is mine, mine to torment.

Dear guest, one of the branches of the tree of fear and courage retained the powers of the whole.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Zyx wrote:Dear guest, one of the branches of the tree of fear and courage retained the powers of the whole.
Such as it might be

It might not be much

Maybe
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Beo, I wonder if you are doing this mystery-stuff on purpose, or if you are even more confused than usually - and I'm scared to find out the answer...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I dunno how I even got into it

Help me
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oi! If anyone's talking in riddles, surely it should be me! Rhymes too, for that matter. Rhyming riddles. Or riddling rhymes. Or something. Bah I need to write some more riddles...I had thought out most of one when Iw as in the bath the other day. When I can be arsed I'll do some more.
Oops, I think this thread is starting to unravel. Well, at least stuff is being woven in which isn't Conflux thread hehe.
Okay I'll shut up now, eh? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The tree of fear and courage
Stands true the test of time
But within its leafy foliage
Oh bugger my feet are pruny
Chewbacca
Apprentice

Post by Chewbacca »

Arrggh!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
This signature is blank.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I dug for the hint Ameena wrote for this tree:

Fear and Courage

A tree so old its wisdom lies
Within each root and twig.
A teacher strong and powerful,
‘Neath whom none dare dig.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You need a 'to' between 'dare' and 'dig' for the couplet to work. It sounds wrong otherwise.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Funny, I always thought "to dare" was not followed by "to" (except when challenging somebody, like "I dare you to do it"). I'll wait for Ameena's answer.

EDIT: I checked and it seems that "dare" can be used as a normal verb "to dare to + infinitive" or as a modal verb "to dare + infinitive".
Chewbacca
Apprentice

Post by Chewbacca »

Zyx wrote:Funny, I always thought "to dare" was not followed by "to" (except when challenging somebody, like "I dare you to do it"). I'll wait for Ameena's answer.

EDIT: I checked and it seems that "dare" can be used as a normal verb "to dare to + infinitive" or as a modal verb "to dare + infinitive".
Indeed, I think it sounds much better without the 'to'. I was going to say the extra syllable makes it sound wrong, but then I read it using "Beneath" instead of "'Neath" and I thought it sounded bettter...
This signature is blank.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When Gambit pointed that out I did think he was right but then I looked back at it and I think it's meant that you kinda pause at the start of the last line as though to add the "be" of "beneath". It works that way. What is that called? Metre?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, jargon is the last line of defense of the desperate,. Admit it, your feet were just getting pruny again weren't they and you dropped the ball?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol you what? I'm not the one who started talking about pruny feet. And I dunno how YOU can get pruny feet through all that fur...
I would say "you're a fine one to talk about jargon" but since I don't read any of those jargon-filled posts about CSBWin and DSAs and stuff, I can't say whether I've seen you post on them ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It was a reference to you composing poems in the bath but not having them finished yet

Lol, that's different....that's me making excuses! That's very different... "oh, well, I'm surethe go-sub shouldn't be looped with the conditional like that...*run*"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Muahahaha...well I will think of some more riddles soonish. When I'm not doing anything else...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, you don't wanna have a kick ass couplet but skanky hair
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I was discussing the metre of the poem, not it's grammatical correctness. It works if you say Beneath, but it doesn't work when shortened because the number of syllables is wrong.
Chewbacca
Apprentice

Post by Chewbacca »

Gambit37 wrote:Yes, I was discussing the metre of the poem, not it's grammatical correctness. It works if you say Beneath, but it doesn't work when shortened because the number of syllables is wrong.
Well, good ear. I agree with you now about the number of syllables but I had to say it in my head a couple times. 2nd and 4th lines should both have same number of syllables I guess? I didn't pay attention during poetry class in 7th grade...
Last edited by Chewbacca on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is blank.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, a pause on the aprostrophe doesn't do it, you either need 'beneath' or a 'to', you are right!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can't remember anything of what I was thinking when I wrote it, but saying it through in my head with the "be" just makes it sound a bit...erm...what's the word...clunky? I just thought it sounded okay with the apostrophe. Anyway, you can always silently add in the "be" yourselves seeing as there is an apostrophe there showing it's missed out ;).
Or something.
Apprentice

Post by Chewbacca »

If you read the last two lines by themselves, they sound better with the apostrophe (5 syllables), but if you read all four lines together I think it sounds better with 6 syllables in last line, or maybe changing 2nd line to 5 syllables would also work? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so... :)
This signature is blank.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh well, it's only one little rhyme. People can add in the extra syllable to themselves if they want.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's all important dammit! : )