Surgical Strike 2.0 **SPOILERS**

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Surgical Strike 2.0 **SPOILERS**

Post by PadTheMad »

First off, congratulations again Sophia on making what was already a fantabulous dungeon even better. I've been soldiering through all last night and I've come accross some new areas, puzzles, items AND spells, all to my surprise.

***SPOILERS***

I have however finally ground to a halt :( Which leads me onto my first question... Have you changed the Corbum Energizing Facility puzzle at all? I can't seem to do it. From what I remember, last time all I had to do was make sure that both algamams (or whatever) got hit with a fireball at the same time. I used to set the shooter off to hit the far one and I'd run up to the near one and cast FUL IR on it at the same time. Problem is that now the fireballs I cast don't work. The most logical solution is that you've changed the spell that triggers it because the spell from the shooter works on both algamams(!). I've tried every combination of spell and can't get any of them to work! HELP!

Which leads me to my next question - I've found three spells to which I have no idea of their function - ZO IR NETA seems to wipe my magic map completely for a period of time, ZO VEN (I think) brings up a message about a flask when I don't even have a flask in my hand and YA GOR won't even cast at all, which leads me to believe that it should be cast on an item... If these spells do have some function and if I'm supposed to use them in some way you need not tell me what they do, I just thought I'd point it out!

***END SPOILERS***
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Curses upon curses upon curses. As I read your description of what was going awry, I know exactly what I did wrong.... aaaggghh!!!

The good news is, if you're willing to tolerate a bit of annoyance, you can get through this without restarting. Only the fireball spell will fail to work-- you can use any fireball-producing item you may have found, of which there are several. (And one in particular would work really well in this room!)

That said, if you'd rather just restart, I've uploaded a fixed version.

As for the spells, ZO IR NETA is a magic map spell that I didn't change and never used in CSB, ZO VEN is just mocking you for trying to cast such a useless spell, and you'll see what YA GOR does eventually....
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Dammit I've had to restart as I've got nothing of the sort in my inventory and FUL bombs don't work :( Oh well, that's half the fun of SS - restarting halfway through! :wink:

::Edit:: Scratch that, if you're SURE it'll work I'll just roll back to a previous save and make sure I have such an item in my inventory before I get there!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hey, you'd probably end up restarting it once you solved it anyway after you saw all the secrets you missed! :wink:

(If you opt for this I'd recommend upgrading to 2.1 in the meantime)

Anyway, I took a look in the editor and I'm sure the item I had in mind would work. It doesn't require completing any of the four "Master" paths, so you should be able to get it eventually... though you may have to wander a bit and save the Corbum Mines for last...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

booohhh... i must start again too ! :?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

No, you don't have to!

You just have to leave the Mine alone for now until you have one of a few fireball-producing items. :)

Sorry if that's annoying... but maybe restarting is too. ;)
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Any extra hints on what the solution is to:
not zo
kath
not ra
?

Cool update to SS btw Sophia.
Took me a while to work out what the new scorpions were doing to me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah yes, the red scoprions are cool - I took a few hits going 'what is happening?' aswell....
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

I found the solution to that riddle now :P
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

The hazes in the corbum energising facility don't seem to be deflecting the fireballs?
Do I have to turn a sawitch first?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ugh, no, this is a problem with RTC 0.37.
Patto
Neophyte

Post by Patto »

Ahh. That explains it. I have been stuck at the same place but thought it was me doing it wrong.

Will try loading it into v0.36 to get past that part.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Thats annoying.
Let me know if loading into v0.36 works please Patto.
*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*
ROFL at chocolate screamers.
Sar sacrifice was cool, how does it work? Does the attack method try to swap the monster so it leaves a different item?
Patto
Neophyte

Post by Patto »

It seems that the savegame format of V0.37 is different to V0.36.

V0.36 does not see any save game files.. :(

Suppose we will have to wait to see if this problem in V0.37 is fixed in V0.38 as I dont want to restart it all again in V0.36.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe if we're good we could get 0.37.5 in the meantime from George...I'm playing too!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The issue that George would need to fix would be one with backwards compatibility, really. The engine is behaving, but it's assuming the dungeon does things the 0.37 way, even when it's a 0.36 dungeon.

A more technical explanation follows:

The teleporters in that room are operated by "OBJECT." This is fine for pre-0.37 RTC, as spells were considered objects. In 0.37, the definition of "OBJECT" was made more limited, and a special "SPELL" opby was added. For a teleporter to affect fireballs, it now needs to be operated by this new "SPELL" definition.

Obviously a dungeon made for 0.36 has no way of knowing this!

The good news is, of course, is that this is something I can fix. You will probably still have to start over, though-- so I'm delaying the bug fix a little so I can add some other new stuff that I had swirling around in my mind. Might as well have some new goodies to find along the way if people are going to be having to start all over!