Any Total conversions out there?

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Starfish
Novice

Any Total conversions out there?

Post by Starfish »

Any dungeons somone has made where everything has been replaced? I'd be really interested in this.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean where everything in the original DM has been replaced, like new graphics, new sound, new items, new spells and so on? Or are you talking about another game like Eye of the Beholder or Bloodwych that has been converted using the DM engine?
Starfish
Novice

Post by Starfish »

Oh a mod of DM where everything has been replaced, new gfx, new dungeons, new spells, one made by a fan.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

yup! Conflux III for example! New dungeon, new wallsets, new monsters etc..
there`s a list of dungeons on this forum (sticky topic).
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed - it requires so much work not many have managed it

Linflas is working on a FF recreation with everything replaced, and it's taken alot of time Looks darn good though!
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Sukumvit 2b already has a lot of custom graphics...

If you want new graphics, you can try DM Java, though I never tried the addons (too complicated, and now DSB and Conflux are my full-time loves)

I also have a lot of custom graphics, and I just got my hands on the FULL set of bitmaps of "Captive".
DSB could be made to emulate most (if not all) of Captive's gameplay, but it would require a lot of work !
What Is Your Quest ?
arturus
Novice

Post by arturus »

Does anyone know if there is a remake of Captive going on anywhere? I've heard it's possible but as you say needs a lot of work.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I couldn't find any remake on the internet.

You can play it smoothly with Steem and the Rom found at Planet-Emu,
but if you want a remake, it would require someone to :
- either make a new engine dedicated to it
- either make a total conversion for Dungeon Strike Back
The latter solution being arguably the shortest in term of development time,
but might need some adaptations of the original gameplay,
because of some constraints ( like 5 monsters max on one tile ...)
all of which I can't identify clearly yet.
(I haven't played Captive enough, and I haven't explored all DSB possibilities)
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't know the mechanics of DSB, but are you sure Captive could be fully emulated? What about the optics and dev scapes? The camera? Up/Down walls? Computer keyboards and electric locks. Bouncy ball projectiles? Hi/Low projectiles? Experience management? Body part replacement? The holo map and space travel? Excuse me for sounding dubious, but there is a HUGE amount in Captive that is not replicable in a standard DM engine.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Gambit37 wrote:I don't know the mechanics of DSB, but are you sure Captive could be fully emulated? What about the optics and dev scapes?
Not FULLY (read my post)
I believe Optics can be done. I don't know what dev scapes are.
The camera?
Ok, this certainly CAN'T be emulated by DSB.
Up/Down walls?
I think this can be done.
Computer keyboards and electric locks.
This can certainly be done.
Bouncy ball projectiles?
Same here, it requires a few scripts, but it is already doable in DSB.
Hi/Low projectiles?
You can make additional bitmaps for low projectiles with a proper vertical offset, and then add a new collision property for "low creatures" to those projectiles, as there is a special collision property for non-material being in DSB (that can be altered).
Experience management?
This can be totally altered in DSB.
Body part replacement?
I believe this can be done.
The holo map and space travel?
This is probably one of the sneakiest part, but unlike the camera, it might be simulated by an event screen displaying the space map and reacting to correct coordinates on clicking. A "scrollable" holo map would be quite a hell to emulate, though. So the simplest solution would be a 2D map with all planets displayed on it.

But as I said, it would probably require to abandon some features from Captive : camera, random "misc. planets" ...

This is not to say I volunteer to do it in DSB, because it's still quite a huge job, and a dedicated engine would probably make things easier, but that's a developers choice to make. Creating an engine requires a lot of work, too.

The bottom line is, you can do a Sci-Fi dungeon in DSB, provided you put the effort it requires.
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

dev scapes and optics are the plugin devices that show their effect in the four monitors at the top of the screen. I really meant the whole functionality provided by them: The device itself, the monitor to display its output and the device's mechanism and any associated controls it may have that you can interact with on the monitor. Add to that some of the simplest devices, such as the anti-grav, would require custom functionality affecting the rest of the display.

Not trying to be down on the idea, I just find it highly unlilely that you can replicate all that in DSB. And as that stuff is core to the Captive gameplay, you couldn't really call it Captive if it wasn't included.
Starfish
Novice

Post by Starfish »

Yeah I'm suprised how very little screenshots there are on this forum for mods.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

little community implies few mods, this is not ut2004 or oblivion.

we have a life and we won't spend all our time on an oldschool game that most people like to play "as it was"...
on the other side, what has been done with Conflux is a great example but the only one of a shared work.

99% of a custom dungeon is made by one and only person.
as said in old DME forums, we need to know if our long and hard work will be played by only 4 people or many more, so please, if you download an try a custom dungeon, post a comment, good or bad.

and then, there may be screenshots.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

ToC has some new stuff! ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Both your dungeons do!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I am thrilled at the DM effeorts you all have put forth. Only a real DM would do what many of you have. I commend you all. If you were all nearby, I'd take you all out for a beer and celebrate :D

namaste
keep your gor coin handy