Conflux - where do I start? (custom)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crash.
Adept

Conflux - where do I start? (custom)

Post by Crash. »

Hi,

I am interested in starting Conflux, but do not understand the relationship between Conflux I, II, III, and 3.5. Are these different versions or evolutions of the same adventure, or are these separate games?

I went to the DM Encyclopedia entry for Conflux, which says it is an old version, and directs me to Conflux III. I didn't know if I should be trying the beta version, so I was going to try Conflux III, but the download links that I have found are no longer reachable, such as:

http://cyberskald.com/repository/Conflu ... ugFix5.rar

I would appreciate a hint as to which version I should start with.

Thanks!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Conflux - where do I start?

Post by beowuuf »

They are all evolutions, so best to play 3.5. The latest beta/bugfix is the one to play under too.

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

The very first post should have the latest link and also a link to the latest compatible CSBwin engine.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Thanks! Should any bug reports be sent to the email address in the archive readme, or is there a bug thread I should be looking for?
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Zyx wrote:My site is down, use this link:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Conflux_3.5_B8.7z
Just getting a load of gobbledegook on the screen when you click link.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to right-click to save, it's a direct file link.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

I think my web browser doesn't recognize the .7z file and tries to load it as a web page, but right-clicking and "Save link as..." saves the file correctly. I am sooo looking forward to this!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Okay, last question - is there a thread to give me some idea what not to do at the beginning while avoiding major spoilers? I started by trying to assemble a party of four characters as in the DM games, but am getting the impression this is not recommended. I think Conflux will require unlearning a lot of DM knowledge.

Thanks
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As far as I'm aware (having had a couple of five-ish-minute goes and dying a lot and then ending up playing something else ;)) Conflux is very huge and complicated and there is loads of stuff to do in it, and many, many ways to die ;). Perhaps the Hint Oracle can be of some use to you? I don't recall any of the hints, but you know, maybe they can give you a few clues about where all the really bad stuff is in your area so you can avoid it and die somewhere else instead ;).
Adept

Post by Crash. »

As I'm trying to avoid reading too much that may spoil the surprise, the sense that I am getting is that I should start with one or two characters, and plan to add others later in some way. Since this is counterintuitive compared to DM, I was just wondering if this has been discussed somewhere, as I would prefer not to play the game for 20 hours and then find out I can't proceed because I made an incorrect choice at the start.

Thanks!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I would imagine it's possible to complete the game no matter which character(s) you choose. I understand there are multiple different ways to finish the game and certain areas can only be accessed by certain characters whom you may not have taken with you - it all just adds to the replayability :).
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I think the more complete way to enjoy conflux is to choose the 4 guides and reach a few endings (at least 3 are available).
Then for replayability, choose only one guide and try to get the guildmasters to accomplish their quest. But it's harder.
And then if you're still hungry, try some other characters for a different gameplay (beast characters, hidden characters, cursed characters or crypt characters come to mind).

Or you could choose a guide and some ranked characters, and one guild master later if you plan to play it only once but want some diversity.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

How can I tell who the guides are? Are these the characters in the first room, those inside the first set of doors, or are they found later in the game. Sorry for the newbie questions. My impulse was to add 4 characters right away, but some of the discussion I've read suggests that the guides are found later.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

First room. To get an idea of each character power, there's a short background of the guilds under the docs folder.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Thanks!
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

If you don't mind spoilers:
Spoiler
I always go with Iadio, given he can level up his ninja skills pretty easily and throw punches like mad
Lief is a good first run pick - decent STR combined with a weapon (mace) can give you an advantage.
Zed is an interesting choice if you prayed to Libra before venturing into the Undercity
Gando as I remember had knowledge in sensing where the pits are going. He's weak but he's good at exploring

Remember: At low level EVERYTHING can kill you in one hit. So be warned.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

I tried that party, and quickly got squashed (perhaps as expected). When I tried an all warrior party, I was able to survive for a while, but I'm not sure anyone could cast any spells at all (even light) so I'm not sure how long that could be a useful party since there would be no way to develop any magic or priest ability at all. I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. Am I supposed to play through part of the game with some characters, let them die, and replace them with others?

I tried another custom dungeon where I had a similar experience, such that the difficulty seemed quite extreme, and there was no way to ease into it or develop skills because the starting monsters were far too powerful. It felt like trying to start CSB with level 1 DM champions.

Cheers!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Play with the full party of guides, as they give you many hints and tips. If you quickly got squashed, then you are not using careful tactics. Check out the stores first, and explore there for many things and better placed fights (there are rooms to move around in). You can explore and find a short cut to beyond the cellar area too where you can p[ull creatures back to the safe space.

Don't go too deep too soon. Conflux actually gives you levels reasonably fast, balanced by the need to find guild symbols to remove level caps.

There are many cool things worth exploring and the initial cautious start. Remember CSB seems impossible to start with too - you are stuck in a room with worms all around? You go anywhere and you fall down pits and are attacked by knights?

Conflux isn't that cruel, just the starting characters are not as powerful as DM characters, so tactics and exploration are needed.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Gotta get my Dungeon Master groove back. I am so glad that there are those that have put so much time and effort into creating new and interesting adventures.