Showing monsters as being frozen

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Showing monsters as being frozen

Post by linflas »

hi, i made these visuals to see what RTC could look with more "life" to DM engine rendering. dunno if it can be implemented... George ?
1) hack and slash animation showing the side you hit the enemy. it's a 2 bitmaps animation layer with 50% opacity.of course, you just need to flip the layer for the other fighter. there could have several animations depending on the attack...
2) frozen monster visual : sometimes i don't know if the monster i froze got alive again or not ! so here's a lightblue layer with 25% opacity (it's exactly the mask of the hell hound side bitmap). i've also pasted 3 times the same shiny light layer over it (could be done randomly into the mask).

more ideas out there ?

PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I'm liking the sound of that, although half the fun of freezing a monster was not quite knowing if it was frozen or not. Mabe if there was a new attack / attribute known as freeze / frozen which literally 'froze' the monster. This could be paired with the introduction of a new weapons such as, say, an ice staff of sorts. That way there would be a difference between 'freeze life' and just plain 'freeze'.

The animation is a fantastic idea - I'd love to see that implemented, especially if there was different animations for different attacks.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Bumping this up because I'm not sure if it was missed or ignored ;)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This kind of stuff is more likely to get implemented if we can present it in a form that offloads most of the work to the dungeon designer (editing attack methods vs. adding every crazy attack method we can think of, for example) :wink:

So, here's the question, I guess... is "Freeze Life" the sort of thing that can be set on a per-monster basis, or is it a global variable? Would it be too difficult to set something up on a per-monster basis, maybe just by preventing the counter that tells the monster it's time to act from decrementing?

Then, if there were a way to set/change a color palette associated with a monster, we'd be halfway there... :twisted:
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

preventing the counter from decrementing?
change a color palette associated with a monster, we'd be halfway there
Wow. If you had a 'Monster Movement Filter' and
'Alternate Monster Graphics' you'd be all the way there. :wink:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Showing monsters as being frozen

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i was working on this and my solution was to first make target action to whatever monsters you want to freeze, then spell attack swap out monster to one with -1 movement for the given amount of time, take away its attack and jiggle then after some time has passed swap back to the original monster, now you can target any monster depending on spell setup.
keep your gor coin handy