Multiplayer RTC?

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu99
Novice

Multiplayer RTC?

Post by isamu99 »

Wouldn't it be awesome to play an online multiplayer version of DM/CSB/DM II? Make it so everyone has their own screen, but put a tiny window at the bottom where you can see how the other player is attacking. We would still travel in packs of four, but could see each other's bit mapped bodies and their animations.

And of course, voice chat support or using Team Speak would make even it even more awesome!

What do you think George? :D
Playing Dungeon Master + listening to Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me by The Cure = RAPTURE!!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

This is something that I've actually considered before and the way that the RTC engine doesn't preclude it (but doesn't include it either!).

Making the engine itself support multiplayer however is a huge task and would take years to do properly. Think about it - if it was that easy to add, most games that lend themselves to having multiple players (e.g. GTA / Oblivion / Gran Turismo to name some of the higher profile ones from different genres) would have it!

Just to point something out though, you'd never be able to play at least DM (and to a lesser extent CSB) mutliplayer in the way that you're imagining it, because the dungeon layout is almost exclusively linear and 1 tile wide...