Editor: Edit Mode

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paradak
Novice

Editor: Edit Mode

Post by Paradak »

In the editor, left-clicking on a square tries to toggle that square between wall and floor.

This is what I cal "Basic Level Layout" mode, which has its uses for about 10% of the work of making a dungeon.

But in truth, it would be MUCH MORE useful to have a MODE button that adds "Advanced Level Editing" mode. In that mode, left clicking does NOT toggle walls/floots but instead SELECT that square. Then, the content displayed on the left panel stays constant. ESC unselected the square (returning the left panel to showing what the mouse is hovering above). ARROW KEYS move the selected square to nearby squares.

This would pose the "first step" in making the editor "intuitive" to use.

Later additions dcould include secondary panels showing everything as a small icon that could be drag-n-dropped (acutally, selected, dragged and dropped, because we al know how "dragging while holding the mouse button" is not such a good idea and can cause carpal tunnel syndrome), thus making filling the dungeon a much QUICKER task.

Pax
---
L'imagination, c'est la mémoire du possible.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yes, this has been suggested before (e.g. http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25561 a few posts further down this forum) - it's certainly something I'll consider towards the top of the list when I next have a chunk of time to blitz the editor.