Adding side graphics for wall items in party square.

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gaming_Bird
Neophyte

Adding side graphics for wall items in party square.

Post by Gaming_Bird »

The lack of graphics for wall items on the sides of the party's tile causes a bit of an astetic breakdown, especially for items that should be clearly obvious to the player, such as a conduit running along the wall next to the players. With the current game engine, the conduit always appears to stop just before entering the party's square.

The graphics for the side wall objects don't need to be clickable like wall items right in front of the party, but if there's a huge tapestry right next to somebody's head, it should be noticable.

I'm not sure how much work will be involved, as many '3 scaling' images would become effectively '4 scaling' images, so we may need to do a poll to see if this attitional level of detail is important to a lot of users or just a handful.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think too much work - can you fake it with alt wall sets or actually having wall object on side of the tiles which have no front view just a side view that connects to the party tile?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Gaming Bird and welcome to the forums. :)

I agree with you and thought I had posted this request before but doing a search I can't find it. I probably included it in a general editing post somewhere.

It would be great if this could be done but I suspect it would have a huge impact on the file-format/definitions at this point. GG?
Gaming_Bird
Neophyte

Post by Gaming_Bird »

As I said, it's purely for aestetics, I won't leave in a huff or turn into an ignorant, violent redneck if the change isn't made, just offering a suggestion on the suggestion board, one than can be followed or ignored.

(Note: my comment is not meant to be disparaging to rednecks, I know many peaceful, educated rednecks, in fact I'd say the majority of rednecks are Good People, salt of the earth type.)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Similarly any comments of concern on change are merely that, not violent british football hooligan style lynching chants :)

GG tends to decide what's easy and worthwhile or not despite how much we comment anyway *cough alpha transparencies*
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

bumping for 0.45 if implementation is not too complicated
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You knwo what GG said about bumping!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ermm... you just made me remember it... :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

hehe, you jinxed it now, he's going to remove the code! :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey Gaming Bird, I removed your avatar link from your profile as it was too big - 80x80 keeps the formatting of the forum intact - thanks!
Gaming_Bird
Neophyte

Post by Gaming_Bird »

Oops, didn't see the notice on maximum avitar size, and i used the one I had online for other forums.

I hope the resized version is better.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Perfect
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't think this will be implemented as it's a significant change to the file format at this point. However, you can indeed fake it using alternate wallsets and in fact this is a much better method for items like this because it means you can also create the extra perspective for the furthest wall offset from the party (3 ahead, 2 across).

You then clone a wallset and just replace bitmaps for your side views -- you'll need to do the work of creating the graphics for the five different positions (RTCWM is perfect for this). Once you've done this, simply apply the alt wallset to the tile where you want your item to appear. Voila!

The down side is that the item isn't interactive, but you can clone any other wallitem, make it's bitmaps transparent, and whack it on the same tile to get interactivity.

It's a bit more work than just creating images for one wall item, but should give you great results.