grey levels for main font bitmap

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

grey levels for main font bitmap

Post by linflas »

instead of white and pink.
it's not really a problem for other font bitmaps because there's no color change in the game but for main font, depending on the situation, white becomes green/yellow/red/blue if text concerns a party member, black for member name in runes box, etc.
other colors are displayed as they are, especially greys and black.
so, could it be possible to color greys just like white is ? i ask this only for aesthetic reasons, to have smoother/nicer font.
and black would be considered as the transparent color, of course.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have no idea what you're on about!

Why do you need the main font in grey? Do you mean you want to use alpha-blending of the various colours over the top of an anti-aliased font?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yep.
i tried with alpha on some PNG but only white is coloured...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Right, Yes, I'd like this too!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It would be great to be able to use alpha blended fonts. It's not very easy making solid pixel based fonts look good. However, due to the colouring issue, I don't know how easy it would be to apply colouring to images with an alpha channel... You would probably need to have a mask graphic as well.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I noticed that the blending a colour with an alpha-transparent image is already being used by RTC -- on the mouse cursor.

It looks like you're making all the pixels black and still respecting the alpha transparency. Could the same principal be used for the fonts, so that we can use fonts with anti-aliasing that still pick up the masking colours?

I've tried to make hi-res bitmap fonts without antialiasing but they all look pretty ropey... :-(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: grey levels for main font bitmap

Post by Gambit37 »

For what it's worth, I'm resurrecting this to say that an anti-aliased main font should be easy to implement, as RTC already does this correctly on both the mouse cursor and the champion position icons. Simply change the matting routines used on the text to the ones being used on those other items.

EDIT: Looks like I already noticed this over a year ago!