Hit nonmaterial object

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tonari
Craftsman

Hit nonmaterial object

Post by Tonari »

Can option of "hit nonmaterial" be given to object?
It is in DMjava.
Arrow that hits nonmaterial will be able to be made if this is.
Clone of DES EW has an effect different from the arrow.
Please forgive poor English.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've never tried DM Java so I have no idea what the editor is like, but perhaps if you take a look at what damage-type the Vorpal Blade has, or something, you'll be able to use that...?

Post by Tonari »

Sorry, It is not melee attack.
It is time when it threw out object to the monster.
When Vorpal Blade is thrown out to ghost in DM Java, it is hit.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, well, was worth a guess. Sorry, can't actually help but thought I'd throw in that as a suggestion anyway ;).
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

It's got to be possible. Surgical Strike had vorpal arrows. I'm not quite sure how, though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Because Sophia is a twisted genius? Actually, there are now really nice mechaincs in place, I believe, that make them very easy - the vorpal arrows came about before they existed, but I am sure it was said it would now be easier
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

a special arrow may be converted to des-ew cloud when hitting a monster.. dunno if this condition can be applied to an object ..
or an action of "THROW" for a special arrow that in fact, casts a DES-EW spell that looks like an thrown arrow..
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

linflas wrote:an action of "THROW" for a special arrow that in fact, casts a DES-EW spell that looks like an thrown arrow..
That's how I'd do it...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Isn't there now a way to interceppt a hand-thrown item (as this would not have des ew properties)
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

There might be some methods of using DES EW.
However, DES EW and arrow have a different working. I must write first.
When DES EW cloud is generated, all nonmaterial on the tile is damaged.
But arrow should hit an one monster.
The damage of DES EW is decided by the charge with item or strength of action.
However, it is necessary to decide the damage of arrow by Weight, Ninja level and DEX of character, and Performance of bow.
Therefore, the one that DES EW was used is magic that looks like the arrow well.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Indeed introducing a nonmaterial flag might be worthwhile.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Beowuuf wrote:Isn't there now a way to interceppt a hand-thrown item (as this would not have des ew properties)
Yep - there's a "convert when thrown" property for objects. Clone an arrow and give it that property so that it converts to a clone of a des ew spell (with graphics that look like an arrow). It will then fly through the air and hit non-material beings.
Tonari wrote:The damage of DES EW is decided by the charge with item or strength of action.
However, it is necessary to decide the damage of arrow by Weight, Ninja level and DEX of character, and Performance of bow.
That's all taken care of already. When the convert when thrown action is performed, the strength of the "spell" is determined by the speed of the item that was thrown (i.e. it takes into account the weight, ninja level, dex and bow).

-----

Granted - a non-material flag for objects would be much easier to use though! Just be aware that the RTC engine is already extremely flexible - as Sophia has shown you can get a wide range of interesting effects using the existing mechanics.

In some cases, you'll get a better result (in terms of inducing awe from those that play the game) from perverting the engine. For example, doesn't it impress you more that Sophia's dungeon exists already rather than playing it if you knew that a non-material flag existed?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Tonari's point that the DES EW cloud on impact would affect every monster on the tile still stands though, and it's a pretty big caveat.

Is there a known way around this, short of restricting the monsters to one per tile?
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

The specification concerning damage is good.
It might be perfect if this idea is applied.
George Gilbert wrote:In some cases, you'll get a better result (in terms of inducing awe from those that play the game) from perverting the engine. For example, doesn't it impress you more that Sophia's dungeon exists already rather than playing it if you knew that a non-material flag existed?
I was making the mechanic who had the same effect as SOUND LOCALISED by using the clone of item and TELEPORTER with RTC0.34.
Now since SOUND LOCALISED is introduced, everyone can sound the sound in an easily arbitrary timing and place.
However, will be able a more interesting, in case of use SOUND LOCALISED devising it more technical way to sound the sound. :wink:
lichathius
Neophyte

Post by lichathius »

linflas wrote:a special arrow may be converted to des-ew cloud when hitting a monster.. dunno if this condition can be applied to an object ..
or an action of "THROW" for a special arrow that in fact, casts a DES-EW spell that looks like an thrown arrow..
Iread this thread and thought i would have a go at this item
this is what i came up with:

ADD MISSILE_ARROW_VORPAL CLONES=(MISSILE_ARROW) NAME=(VORPAL ARROW) CONVERT_THROW=(NEW_OBJECT:DUNGEON_VORPALARROW)
ADD DUNGEON_VORPALARROW CLONES=(DUNGEON_SPELL_DESEW) NAME=(vorpalarrow) ICONS=(BITMAP_ICON_MISSILE_ARROW,NULL) BITMAPS=(FLYING_FROM:BITMAP_FLYING1_ARROW,FLYING_TO:BITMAP_FLYING2_ARROW,FLYING_SIDE:BITMAP_FLYING3_ARROW)

only problem was the arrows explode in your face, if anyone can figure out how to make them move before they explode then you will have your answer
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

never tried that actually but maybe there's a "lifetime" property missing for your DUNGEON_VORPALARROW ?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

as a side note>
should a thrown vorpal blade damage ghosts ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Good thought!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.