RTC - Eye of the Beholder, Ishar, Bloodwych?

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

RTC - Eye of the Beholder, Ishar, Bloodwych?

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello FOLKS :)

Sorry that I have been away from the forum for so long, but now I am finally back.

This idea is probably very old and maybe even suggested by others already (but I could not find it in the achive - maybe I didnt look carefully enough :( ?).

Ever since I saw RTC the intresst of a remake/port of Eye of The beholder came to my mind. It seems as it just requires some graphics since the engine is already up and working?

Unfortunalty I am worthless when it comes to computer things .. so I can offer no valuable technical suggestions since I dont understand the limits, nor possibilites of an engine or a program. But here are some games I truly enjoyed:

* Eye of The Beholder 1+2+3
* Ishar 1+2+3
* Bloodwych 1+2
* Captive
* Lands of Lore
* Therons Quest
* Knightmare
* Black Crypt
etc etc

Most of those games work perfectly with DosBox (or other emulators) I seem to recall. But I am sure that more people than me have been thinking along the lines of a remake with an improved graphic appearance. :)

I know that this might be a huge suggestion :? And since I am less technical than a 2 year old, I can offer nothing to such project if it ever starts :(

Please let me know what you all think of it, and what limits and possibilities there are. And ofcourse ... intresst.

Best wishes :)

/Daniel (Sweden)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Like porting DM2, the interface will not be ported across. If they are easy to coded and good features, interface items needed from these games could be created (like the money box was for Dm2)

It is up to a dungeon designer to build the dungeon, populate it, and try to make the existing mechanics work.

I think there is no point saying 'i'm not technical, but someone should do this'. If someone cared about doing this they would have started. I think you need to look into RTC, see how dungeons are built, look for the maps/graphics of EOTB or Ishar yourself and start building. Try using the engine as far as possible, asking for ideas from here, and if anything truely is not able to be done then you could ask GG for engine stuff.

Do not expect a perfect port, or the interface to be anything other than Dm's though, that will not happen!

Good luck!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Daniel, welcome back. :)

It would be nice to see some of the EOB games in RTC purely for fun, but I'm personally not a big fan of remakes. I did start doing a hi-res version of DM a few years ago, but gave up after considering that it was largely pointless: while the game would look and sound better with improved graphics and sound, it's still the same game and if I want to play that, I have it already...

So I'm working on my own custom project these days. It's ultimately far more satisfying than re-creating something that already exists.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello again :)

Many thanks for your replies. I see what you both means, and since all of those games (basically all) works perfectly on Dosbox/Amigaemulation there is no real need of remakes.

It would be an honour to see one of you projects Gambit :) Best of luck with them - I will keep my fingers crossed that they all progress without problems.

I will take a closer look at the mapeditors and see what I can make of it. Hopefully it will not be to hard to created my own dungoen :)

Best wishes :)

/Daniel (Sweden)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I wasn't trying to completely dissuade you from remakes -- they can be good learning experiences. I'd just prefer to see more original stuff, that's all.

For the record, as Beo said, EOB would be mostly possible in RTC. Some things would naturally not look the same because RTC at its core still uses the DM interface. RTC/DM perspective and viewport size is different from EOB, so the graphics would need to be stretched a bit too.

But if you ignore those issues, I think most EOB mechanics could be (more or less) successfully recreated.

I don't know about the other games though -- far too many differences in those to even consider a reasonable interpretation in RTC.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

If you want to create an Eye of the Beholder remake , I am also create an Eye of the Beholder Remake , the Eob4 , you need to capture all Eob 1,2,3 wallsets , You need to capture all Lands of Lore Wallsets and Dungeon Hack Wallsets.

Then you need to capture all Eob monsters , Lands ol Lore monsters and dungeon hack monsters, here there are many ready Lands of Lore , Dungeon Hack and Eob monsters ready , so the work about how to find monsters is finished.

Eye of the beholder 1 Wallsets are all ready , and there are here.
I have post all wallsets from Dungeon Hack wallsets , I have also and Eye of the beholder 3 , and there are Eye of the beholder 3 wallsets ready here, If you visite the dungeon resources post you will find all of them here.

Gambit37 has all Lands of Lore wallsets he will post them in the future.

Or I will post them , in the future when I finish with them.

So you have everything you need about graphics wallsets and monsters from here.

I have also and more dozens of new Eye of the Beholder recreated wallsets , interfaces , and backdrops from my Eye of the Beholder IV , that I am creating.

So the only thing you need is a story , and choose one programming language and create one dungeon crawlling engine from scratch like me , if you want to create the Eye of the Beholder V.

I am Creating the IV , create the next. :wink:

If you are programing in Darkbasic professional , I will give you my engine , and I will explain you how is working.

I have create one special document file with name , EYE OF THE BEHOLDER ENGINE MECHANIC EXPLANATION , it explains how the Eye of the Beholder engine is working , according to my engine from scratch.

If you are programming with "C" at least not "C++" , I suggest , Dev C++ with allegro game library.

I have also one simple wallset engine to give you.

If you are not a programmer , is very difficult to create the next Eye of the Beholder , so use RTC Editor to create , but you need to , Rescale all pictures and monsters from Eob , Lands of Lore and Dungeon hack , because , the size , is not the same.

The Dungeon Master mechanics are similar to Eye of the Beholder but not the same.
And the graphics are completely different.

If you want to create , wallsets for RTC or Dungeon Master , there are here programma that create wallsets.

I am trying to create a program that creates wallsets for Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore sizes wallsets.

Here there are many graphics resources.

I will suggest you to find the Spiral Graphics or Texture Maker program , are very good programs to create textures and with
sophia's and linfla's wallmakers you can create Dungeon Master and RTC wallsets for this size.

For Eye of the Beholder Sizes , there is no wallmaker yet.
I try to create one , but is very early yet.

If you want to find stories about AD&D adventures , there are a lots in internet , try to type in google

D&D traps
AD&D adventure

Also if you want , names for your NPC or Your places
There is a programm with name AD&D Assistant
Or Name Generator.

Also there are a lots of scripts in internet that explains how to create random labyrinths.

The hard part is the programming language and the engine.

:D

GoodLuck , when you finish something I want to see.
If you want to ask something , ask.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@takis76gr:
have you checked out dungeon maker?
I don't know whether or not it is abandoned, but
it is a way to do a eob clone
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

takis76gr wrote:Also there are a lots of scripts in internet that explains how to create random labyrinths.
Someone posted a link to how Captive generated it's map, which I found fascinating. Can I ask what search terms you use to find other such resources?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSBuild actually has a random dungeon geneator built in, or there was some sub-programe that did it
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Type in Google

Dungeon generator
Maze generator
Map generator
Random Dungeons

Visite this website for Dungeon Generator:
Take them:

http://www.aarg.net/~minam/dungeon.cgi

Good tools for Map and Dungeon Generator:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8306/utilities.html

http://www.billsgames.com/mazegenerator/
http://www.gozzys.com/article.php?cm_id=8

I will try to find source code in "c" or in "basic" how to generate a dungeon.

Source code for dungeon generator:

http://yakko.cs.wmich.edu/~rattles/development/misc/