ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE improvements

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE improvements

Post by Gambit37 »

ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE and ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE_INFRONT work great for getting stuff back into the party member's inventory. And items go into their correct slots too! Nice :-)

But large items, like a chest, go straight into the backpack, even if the party member's hand is empty. Would it be possible to make everything go into the hand if it's empty? It looks a little confusing to the player as the item simply 'vanishes'.

Would it also be possible to do a variation action, ACTION_PICKUP-IN-HAND_ANY_TILE? The difference being this would only pickup the item if the mouse hand is empty, and would automatically make the mouse become the item (like when you pick up directly from the dungeon view), rather than putting it in the backpack or wherever.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Coming up with some interesting ideas Gambit... Keep 'em coming.

Along the same principle, could you MAKE a monster pick up a specific item EG: a character dies, spawning a monster on a nearby tile, the monster then "picks up" all the character's gear (including skeleton).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I wouldn't put stuff automatically in the hand currently, because as long as you don't have a horn of fear, you usually have an empty-handed war-crier in your party.

Best thing of course was to mix this with another suggestion I made ages ago:

- adding an action icon to every item and give every item a "throw" action (since you can throw them anyway by clicking them in the air)

- adding a small hand icon right above the larger action item icon. You click the hand, you'll get the unarmed actions like "war cry", "kick" and maybe "punch" (you certainly can cry out loudly whether or not you carry a sword, same goes for kicking, and in melee combat quite a lot of actual hits are made with one hand letting go of your two-handed weapon for a moment or a pommel)

- splitting the action item icon box vertically and have the off-hand action item icon put in the lower half to be fully DM2-cappable.

With these things done, it'd certainly make sense to put chests aitomatically in hands (since it wouldn't inhibit you at war-crying),
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I never have an empty handed war crier in my party. I don't think anyone else does either ;-)

The action I'm talking about is used to give items to the party and doesn't really cover the issues you raised. It's a specific action ACTION and not related to the 'empty hand' menu options.

For a better understanding, take this example: I have trees in my custom adventure, which are cloned pillars. You can disable the party taking damage and making 'oof' sounds if you put an invincible, invisible monster on the same tile. But if you throw an item onto the tile, you can no longer pick it up due to the monster. So I make the tree clickable and its action is to give any items back to the player -- but it looks odd because they simply disappear into the inventory and go back to their 'correct' slots. It would make more sense to go into the mouse cursor.

In fact, the most sensible improvment would also be the ability to only pick up one item at a time and put it in the mouse cursor: ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE_SINGLEITEM and ACTION_PICKUP_ANY_TILE_INFRONT_SINGLEITEM
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ah, by saying "hand" you meant the party hand, the mouse cursor, not an actual character's hand. Yep, that's something different of course. I thought you meant a chest should go into a character's empty hand instead of going into the backback, I only objected to that. BTW: I always do have a fear-inflicter with an empty action hand, at least until I get a horn of fear ;-)
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.