Formuae for "strength" values

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Formuae for "strength" values

Post by Lord_BoNes »

My suggestion, in this case, would be: could you allow formulae to be used in the "strength" values of conversions, and actions? Values would have to cap at 1, and round down(if floating point, at the final answer) of course.
EG:
Strength = 10-%MEMBER_WIZARD%, a level 4 wizard activating this would have strength = 6
Strength = (10*((%MEMBER_WIZARD%+1)/2)), a level 4 wizard activate this would have strength = (10*((4+1)/2)) = 25

Allowing formulae would add a whole new ability to dungeon designing, and it would make the existing functionality A HELL OF A LOT more easier, especially experience gain actions.

I know that you can achieve a similar effect using relays and/or counters... but, that way is extremely long-handed. I know that you said to only suggest things that can't be done, but this suggestion is about ease, and it should be easy to implement.

Thanx for listening.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

hey LB, I adjusted the subject so GG can pick it out from the rest when he trawls the forums!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Thanx Beo. :D

I only had that subject because I have suggested SOOOOO many things so far. :oops:

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I must admit, I don't especially like "strength" based puzzles, so I wouldn't use this feature -- I prefer brain based puzzles (at least, when my brain works well enough to solve them!) :-)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

What I meant was for example:
You have an item that creates a fireball, and you wish to give the caster experience for firing it. In order to decrease the amount of experience gained for a higher level wizard, you have to do 15 relays to give the experience based on the level of the caster.

Now think: "What if I want the item to cast a lightning bolt, that gives more experience per cast?" another 15 relays. What about if you want to have a poison-bolt aswell?

With my spellbook system that I described in another topic, I'd need 15 relays for each projectile spell... That's a whole crap-load of relays. What a messy ordeal...

My above suggestion would allow me to do the experience gain with 1 WALLITEM_ACTION, per spell, instead of 15. A great deal less messy.

I can also think of other uses for this approach, but this is the one that comes to mind.
Last edited by Lord_BoNes on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can you pass values from relay queries into counters and read them again?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I don't see why not.

That sounds like how my spellbook system works... The value counts up, checks against another counter to see if it's hit the max-value(if so starts a self-looping relay, that decreases the counter back to zero). Every time it counts up, it checks the value against the possible spells available, then it checks THAT spell to see if the member has it, if so it swaps the null spellbook to the real one for THAT spell. Every loop, it checks the right hand of the caster for the null spellbook, if it isn't there, it cancels the loop. There is an additional counter per member for storing the number of spells learnt, if zero then the loop doesn't happen, because it'd be infinite, and RTC crashes(happened a few times while testing, and forgetting to reset it).

But, the relays to do such a thing with experience gain, would be pretty damn hefty.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin