Allow second transparency colour in dungeon items

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Allow second transparency colour in dungeon items

Post by Gambit37 »

The Magic Window spell uses a second transparency colour (255,0,0) which tells the engine to not draw any pixels of the wall behind it.

If this property was copied over to other wallitems, we could create cool effects like windows, which are currently impossible to do just with powerpink.
Trego
Artisan

Re: Allow second transparency colour in dungeon items

Post by Trego »

That would be easier.
I was thinking of using a wall item with an 'alpha channel' (no image, not white) where the window/glass is and use a mechanic to cast magic window on the wall. Thus having the wallitem over the magic window the wall item isn't effected and you can see through the window, my wall item may need a large wall image attached to though or it could look as if it is floating.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Good idea I think.

I support
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why is it impossile? Oh, I see, as a simple wallitem. You can create a wndow by actually having a faked wall. Even easier now there is a half-height blocker available. You can copy and paste the window throughout your dungeon!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Using a pillar doesn't work very well though, if you want your window to be part of a standard wallset. If an object gets thrown at it, it sits "ontop" of the image, so it looks like it's in the wall...

Faked walls don't work either, because items behind it take on the light level of that room. This can make the window look completely black if there's no light on that side.

Trust me, I tried lots of ways and none of them really work :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I just remember doing a window way back, but I guess the light level wasn't an issue I thought about :(