New with Editor and stuck

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
GandolfA
Apprentice

New with Editor and stuck

Post by GandolfA »

Hello i am new to using the editor that comes with Dungeon Master Java and i have stocked up on monsters, items, etc for a new dungeon crawler. However i am unable to import or create any new monsters. It says "import failed" on anything i try to import, even monsters that came with game please help.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's an odd one!

Until someone comes along whose used the editor recently, can I suggets looking at the old DMJ forums and searchign some of the post there incase this tpic has come up?

The link to the forums is at the dropdown menu on the top
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

Thanx, suprised to see some people still using this :) I will look if anyone else knows plz post.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Hi GandolfA, welcome to the forums.

I've only ever imported monsters once, from the Chaos Strikes Back recreation. A quick search in the DMJAva forums reveals zero, so is it the correct file type I'm wondering?

If I open up the editor, select from the menu Import -> Custom Monster, I then select a dungeon (NOT the custom_mons.dat file which is 'local' and will not need to be published when you finish your own dungeon)..... I get "Unable to Import!". Ah bugger. :oops:

I've read the manual and it offers no help either. Anyone else? I've done this successfully before, too. If I open up another editor and load someone else's dungeon with custom monsters in, I won't see a list of the custom monsters or items either.
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

Appreciate ur help guys, got tons of monsters, icons, sounds, items,etc to start game but cant get monsters :(. Im just doing maps now till we can figure out and looking through old forums. Thanx again guys for looking/helping with me
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

I think i figured out how to make a shop in game, but only prob is there isnt a remove item event, no luck still on importing monsters , even the ones that came with game so its not file type. Any suggestions about anything? :)
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

Well working on shop getting close to get it done i hope, but getting some intresting results lol :) Im putting off on importing monsters till i can find something or if anyone knows how post please thank u :).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Moved your topic to the DM Java forum just incase there are any users who selectively check the forums and would miss this in the editors section!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Have you tried just creating new custom monsters from the graphic files? This is what I do. I take at an predefined 'equivalent-looking' monster and then select the Custom button. The stats are copied across, missing the name and image files (sounds should change too). Changing the name and sounds are easy, the tricky part is the image(s).

If I have images for 'Mr_Potato_Head' for example they would be:
  • Mr_Potato_Head.gif
    Mr_Potato_Head-attack.gif
    Mr_Potato_Head-toward.gif
    (optional)Mr_Potato_Head-away.gif
    (optional)Mr_Potato_Head-left.gif
    (optional)Mr_Potato_Head-right.gif
That's it, I wreckon. Experiment, and dont lose sleep tyring to implement Mr Potato Head's special 'Starch' attack.

p.s. Importing monsters was causing generating an 'End of File' exception in my development environment. Dont kow why.
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

The import custom monsters and items is generally used for your own creations. For example if you use the monsters available from EOB, create your own stats for them, you'll want to save what you have done. Be sure to click on the add/update tag within the editor to "save" your monsters into a custom file.
The main reasons you will get an error on importing is that the file you have chosen was not orignally made by DMJ or is the wrong file and/or damaged.

If you download the EOB1 and 2 packs from Germanny you will see the custom-mons and custom-items files. Just import them using the import function into DMJ then the stats will be available as intended for their use.

Any monster you create does not have to have all the views - just one will suffice for the time being, mainly the toward view.
Save this has xxx-toward.gif. Use the add monster tab in the editor - create your stats as you see fit, then be sure to click on the update tab.

You new monster (or item) will be automatically stored within DMJ, until you uninstall it from your machine. If this is the case, if you keep a backup of your custom-mons (or items) simply load this back into DMJ using the import function, and your monsters will automatically appear in the custom monsters window.

As for a shop idea - it will require numerous multiple triggers to create (not events) using something based on an alcove where one can then retrieve the items the party has just "brought". Bear in mind that an alcove does not have to "look" like an alcove, so a table or counter can be created in it's place. Unfortunately a "shop" was never implemented into DMJ, so you'll probably find this is the best way to get around it.
It might be best for you to gain a good understanding of multiple triggers before attempting this though - it could get a little confusing as so many triggers will be necessary.
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

I still am unable to import monsters in.

I currently have pic named: "skel-toward" and its a gif. If i try to go to "import" and "Custom monsters" cant select it i get error still. If i put a monster down and go to Custom and name the pics name
"skel-toward" or "skel-toward.gif" give it stats, name,etc i still get a Question mark for the pic after updating, if i try to import after that still get same error. During game it shows no pic of monsters because no gif was imported.
I tried EOB pic, my own pic, even own game graphic in the monster folder and out of it with same results. I tried opening and resaving, diffrent pics as well, but alas i am stuck.... Any suggestions, i appreciate everyone else giving me suggestions.
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

Okay i figured out how import monsters, u have to import the "class file" that gives u all the monsters, however the graphics still coming up with ? should be able to get this :) Thanx for all ur help, any other suggestions let me know. Thanx guys again.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Have you created the corresponding icon in the Icons directory, sorry I should have told you this.
From the example above, Icons\Mr_Potato_Head.gif should go in there. The icons appear to be 32X32 Pixels. This is not a big problem if it's there or not. I simply resize the Mr_Potato_Head-toward.gif image.

When creating custom monsters I always temporarily plonk one right at the start of the dungeon and jump in to check that all views are working. Pay attention to the distant views as well.

If there is something wrong, the monster will be invisible.
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

I got monsters working great now, after importing the class and moving everything where it was supposed to be works fine, thanx guys for your help.
floranicolas
Neophyte

Re: New with Editor and stuck

Post by floranicolas »

I very much like the Java Version of this great game but I've always found it frustrating that it is too much different from the original version.
-The version 2.1 is a COMPLETE remake of the original Java version. Once again, I thank Alendale for this superb version of Dungeon Master.
-I reprogramed this version for my own use so only the dungeon maps v2.0 (my previous version) are patchable with the Editor.
-This version is not intended to replace the actual version of DMJava.