DmII meets DMJ.

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kelly
Artisan

DmII meets DMJ.

Post by Kelly »

I've been looking at the possibility of adding DMII into DMJ for some time now.

Now, although DmJava will limit some of the uses Dungeon Master II was designed for - it can be done to a certain degree.
DMJ will not allow the recreation of some of the puzzles. It will also not allow the movements of the scouting / attack minions, magic maps and similar monsters and items.

It can, however, allow the dungeoneer to create their own custom dungeons using the DMII graphics. Most of the graphics, including wallsets, monsters, items and so fourth can be converted for the use in DMJ and with a few code modifications, we can also recreate most of the switches and reflector room.

Alot of the items have already been done - potions animate when the party holds them in their hands, clothing, and a few weapons, one of which animates an electric charge when equipped.
The first wallset has also been completed, where one can choose their party from the sleeping chambers.

Take a look over on the dmj modifications website for the screenshots. (Link stickied).

Any comments?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

People have always wanted DM II for the PC, it's popular and much requested for RTC, I see no lesser popularity for it in DMJ!

Edit: Wow, are those screen shots in the cave the DMJ additions? Looks really pretty cool - bats look scarier than the originals
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo: Err, but there IS DM2 for MS-DOS PC already, isn't it? Even if you don't want to have a separate Win98SE or even MS-DOS partition for such oldschool games, you can access it via tools like DosBox, right?

Well, most of DM2 already is implemented in RTC, and once the more oldschool Amiga grafix find their way into RTC in addition to the cartoony PC-DM2 grafix, even I will be happy with it.

Maybe one day George will allow the 2-weapon-handling of DM2 into RTC, at least for dungeons specifically asking for it, like DM2, and then RTC-DM2 will finally be superior even to original FTL-DM2 (being a 2-weapon-style performance fighter this topic bears special meaning to me and already has been discussed in several threads, mostly initiated by me).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

True, but then people don't like messing around with DOS box I don't think....I really mean 'a straight way to play DM2
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

"A straight way to play DM2"? Yes, as I said, as soon George would give in to enable RTC to do a couple of things that would be pretty un-DM1, but would exactly be DM2-like, we'd have that.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Thanks for the comments Beo'.

I mentioned doing DMII for DMJ to Ian a while ago - since then I've been going through the DM encyclopedia for the dungeons and walkthroughs, and putting the details together.
For now, I'm concentrating on the graphical side, and see how much of DMII we can actually put into DMJ - regarding gameplay.
The wallset screenshots are the ones from DMJ, although I've still to do the ladders, and side views for the chambers.
Last edited by Kelly on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Is there any documentation on the actual champions?
By that I mean any reference to their backgrounds, where they're from, the lands they have travelled - that sort of thing.
I've been to the DM encyclopedia, but all I've found so far are the stats for each hero. Any ideas?

Anyway, I've created new sleeping chambers for the party, with a bit of a twist.

Here's a few piccies of what I've been experimenting with using both the DMII graphics and my own. A little too sci-fi???

The choosing a heroes has a new "look" and works totally different. The only down side is you can't reincarnate your champions.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2548/piccie7dv3.png
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8803/piccie6kr9.png

The next are the "original" DMII graphics, modified,resized with the original DMJ workings.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8656/48450983lm0.png
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1442/61061660eo8.png

Which would be preferred - old DMII or new modified graphics and mechanisms?
Let me know.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Which would be preferred - old DMII or new modified graphics and mechanisms?
You know?.... I'd go for the one that makes YOU more interested in the project, Kelly. The graphics look sweet, Kelly.
Milna
Novice

Post by Milna »

How plausible would it be to re-create the other "chest" items like the quiver and the moneybox?
When you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation...
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

To do this will require a working knowledge of the Java code.
Basically, another item will need to be added to the existing code, with the requirements of the additional items it will carry - this is determined by the "size" of the item.

Unfortunately, I'm not familar enough with the code to do this. I can alter the basics, but this is beyond my understanding.