Characters don't seem to be going up levels

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Weaver Stebb
Neophyte

Characters don't seem to be going up levels

Post by Weaver Stebb »

Hi there,

Is there anyway of checking how close your party is to going up a level. I can't seem to get any of my newly reincarnated characters up any levels in anything. Ive sat for a while casting FUL but still no wizard levels ????

Is this a bug ?

Thanks

WS
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Hi!

Not heard of this one before. To get low level characters up a level the fastest way would be the Ninja skill... Stand in front of a closed door and keep throwing/picking up items in front of it. Poor door!

I recall people saying that you level up more slowly in DMJava.
Weaver Stebb
Neophyte

Post by Weaver Stebb »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm just a bit impatient :) I'll give the door a bit of grief then !

WS
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The DMJava engine is a bit less forgiving with level gain - you need to work much harder!

And being near creatures always helps!
Milna
Novice

Post by Milna »

I had the same complaint when I first started out! As beowuuf said, the level gain is much slower for DMJava.

There are, however, some fantastic add-on packs done by Kelly here on the forums that increase the default exp gain a bit to be more like the original. If you follow the 2 links in the sticky thread "DMJ modification website updated" at the top of the page, there are self-extracting files that will automatically install the necessary files, along with some documentation on what has changed.

Keep in mind, a lot of these changes will alter the game in ways that AREN'T in the original DM and many are just for the DMJava editor for creating custom dungeons. I've found that all of them increase the overall gaming experience though!

Also, I believe Kelly also included a much truer version of the original DM dungeon. He included the Oitu, the Trolins, and some other things that were left out of the normal DMJava game.

If you are having any touble with the add-ons, PM me and I'll help if I can! I have been bugging Kelly for about the last month here and I've become pretty familiar with the changes and how to use them!
When you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation...
Weaver Stebb
Neophyte

Post by Weaver Stebb »

Downloading them now. Having a few stability issues with freezing at the moment. Having to save very regularly. Would the modification packs help this at all ?

Have to say i love DMJava, its obviously had a lot of work put into it.

Looking forward to the mods

Feeling proper nostalgic ! Now where did I put that 80s music
:)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You know I've never thought of putting on music while watching my poor champions get stabbed, slashed, dropped and torched. There's music included in Dungeon Master II, but maybe some Metallica would fit better.
danielshaefer
Neophyte

Experience Base Formula

Post by danielshaefer »

The base formula for level gain is as follows:

Experience needed to reach next level =
(currentLevel^1.55) + (35 X currentLevel) + 50

In English:
The experience you will need to reach the next level is as follows:
Take your characters current level and raise it to the power of 1.55 then take your current level and multiply it by 35 and add the two together. Then add 50 to that.

(I am assuming that an unnamed level is level 0)
If my memory serves me correctly that means 51exp to reach Neophyte(the first named level(or level 1)) and 86 more to reach Novice(or level2)