Teleporter/Alcove Pictures doesnt work.

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Dunkler
Neophyte

Teleporter/Alcove Pictures doesnt work.

Post by Dunkler »

Hi!

I have downloaded the addon pack 1 and 2 and got a few Problems when i make my own Dungeons (the Problems also appear in the normal Dungeon Master Java dungeon)

First: The Alcove pics dont show on the right side of a wall. You can put items in it put in the game it just shows as a Wall with items in it.

Teleporters dont show up at all...you can use them normally but you cant see them.

Anyone knows that problem :)? Maybe the game just cant find the pics.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Yep, I think you've got the right idea there, the game cant find the pictures for each of the missing images.

If I were in your position I'd:

1) Check if you have copied the image files to the dmJava directory for example, and not where they should go.
2) In the DMEditor, go to the menu > set level directory option and check that you have the corresponding image files placed in the corresponding settings there (I'd guess you do, but are just missing a couple of files).
3) Reply to this thread which wallset you are using (is it dark and grey, underwater, outside with small walls, etc etc), and then Wait for Kelly to respond, to see if he has the same mistake in that wall set. They look great but some of them may still be in development and Kelly is looking for feedback :P

Welcome to the forum :)
Dunkler
Neophyte

Post by Dunkler »

I am using just the default Textures (which are in the Maps directory directly)

The wierd thing is. The teleporter pics are in there too and named

teleport01 teleport 02 teleport 03 teleport11 teleport12 teleport13 and so on

but you cant see them at all in game.

same for the alcove pics (since some of them are working and some not,depends on which side the alcove is, its even more wierd)
Milna
Novice

Post by Milna »

I PMed Kelly with this exact problem about 2 weeks ago. He suggested deleting the contents of the original DM folder and re-installing the updates, which did, in fact, work.

I didn't delete anything, though, just to be on the safe side. I moved everything into a back-up folder to save a lot of my custom graphics and maps.
When you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation...
Dunkler
Neophyte

Post by Dunkler »

Thx for the help.

But that didnt work at all :(

Tried to just delete the Maps folder an installed the addons-didnt work

Deleted the whole DMJ folder and installed the addons..didnt work

You cant see the teleporters....
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

ohhh. I remember Kelly played with jpg -> png format for some teleporters. I wonder if that's the problem. The standard jpg files can be simply renamed (better copied then renamed, have both sets in your example directory) to png extension, see if that corrects your problem.
Again, if that isnt the solution I always recheck if the "Set Level Directories" folder is the right one (my option 2, above). I've lost a lot of time on this particular one :x too, and it's got nothing to do with Kelly's work.
Dunkler
Neophyte

Post by Dunkler »

Yes!! That was it.

All the teleporter pictures were in GIF format

Just changed them into PNG and it worked :)

Thx alot :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

<<<PHEW>>>

Kelly had a couple of startrek style teleporters he wanted to include, and so used teh different image format to really make it stand out. 8)
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Ooops! Should have double checked the graphical formats - SORRY! :oops:
Duch
Neophyte

Post by Duch »

I had the same problem and I managed to solve the problem with teleporters (changing gif -> png), but still the alcoves are invisible.
I tried almost everything.
2) In the DMEditor, go to the menu > set level directory option and check that you have the corresponding image files placed in the corresponding settings there (I'd guess you do, but are just missing a couple of files).
Can anybody post here a screenshot or something? First column is a mystery for me, the second - I can browse, a directory but this only sets background and gives no results.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Duch wrote:First column is a mystery for me, the second - I can browse, a directory but this only sets background and gives no results.
I dont understand this comment. Sorry.

Check that you have all of the alcove files in the asociated level directory. Just like the teleporter files mentioned above, they will have numbers asociated with them so check that we have them all!
Duch
Neophyte

Post by Duch »

I have 11 files named "alcoves##.gif" and 11 files *.png which I made from gif's. They are directly in the "Maps" folder.

As for setting pic directories in the editor.
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7797 ... iesgi3.jpg
directories -> what should I write there? I tried copying there directory to my DM/maps folder but that didn't help.
background -> that sets only background and gives no results for the problem
"browse #" -> this only helps to set the backgrounds

This problem is quite annoying beacuse there was no problem with teleporters... and it doesn't happen with other graphics.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thanks for the image, Duch. I can safely tell you that I've never seen that screen version before! The one I have only has the first 'Directory' column.

Either way, it should still work as you've explained above. I hope this isnt a bug in the new version.

I'm guessing here, but another brain on the problem may help:
Could you put '/Maps' (or whatever it is) in the level 14 Directory box as well? Just in case it's a bug with it being two values required, and not just one that you have now. Also try clearing the 'outside_stars.gif' value to see if your alcoves return.

Do let us know how you get on.

...Kelly!!!!
Duch
Neophyte

Post by Duch »

Allright I tried with:
- plain Alandale's DM Java - everything works fine and it doesn't matter on which HD I install it
- after installing Kelly's Addon pack v1.0 - teleporters and alcoves are invisible but still acts like such one
- after installing Addon pack v2.0 - nothing changes alcoves and teleporters are invisible (only after making double files with .png extensions the teleports become visible)
- tried with various combination in "set level pic directories" - and here comes funny thing.

When I set only directories or backgrounds nothing happens (only sometimes I could see north openning alcoves but it was like a russian roulette), after setting both also nothing, but then when I delete directories and there are only backgrounds I can see alcoves only for the first time I run game - after loading saved games or starting game from the beginnig, alcoves become invisible and whole process with setting in the editor must be repeated.

I hope it's quite clear :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Duch wrote:... I can see alcoves only for the first time I run game - after loading saved games or starting game from the beginnig, alcoves become invisible...
Ohhh, now there's a thing. Not mentioned this before but whenever I've been playing with changing the backgrounds and wall sets I've always restarted the DMJava game anew (closed the application and restarted it). The reason being was that I suspected that my changes to the dungeon wallset in the editor were not reflected in the actual game after selecting "New Game" a second time.

Another bug (I may be incorrect) was that I never changed the default dungeon layout (set level directories, etc) on the 'first' level. That is to say the level the party starts on. It's been a while since I've played with the game, and I may have that wrong!

I wish you more luck!
danielshaefer
Neophyte

Is this a concern for current downloads for AddonPacks

Post by danielshaefer »

I was just wondering out loud (for the sake of all lurkers) if the image format has been corrected in the download packs currently available...or will we still need to go in and change some image formats to get these things working appropriately.

I appreciate the assistance.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I think only Kelly can answer you that one, as I havent tested out his version 0.2
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Wow! After reading those last few posts by Duch, I was quite bewildered to say the least!!!

Other than the PNG/ GIF mix-up, the addon packs have been working fine! I'm unable to answer those questions positively!!!

Please read the doc file (RTF document) included with the addon packs. It explains pic directories, background names and map folders, that have to be correctly named, copied or just available in their corresponding directories. As for the Alcoves - again these have been working correctly.

The only glitch that I have been unable to correct is the load/restart mechanism. Please be sure to exit the game and then restart/load. Loading in saved positions without doing this will resort in graphical errors. But this has been documented elsewhere.

Anyway, noted on the image formats - these will be corrected ASAP!!!

EDIT:-

Just to add, due to the new modifications, all alternate map sets must now be in the "Maps" folder. EG - Maps\greywalls or Maps\twowalls ETC.
The backgrounds must also be in the corresponding folders.

Double checked the alcoves just to be sure - no probs here. If using the two-wall method, use the 4-sided alcoves as alternate wallsets which, in turn, must be in their own folders. For an example look at the twowalls pic directories within the addon packs.

For other examples please examine the doc file included.

Another EDIT:-

Yep. I've just uninstalled everything to do with DMJ then re-installed again. The pic directories, alcoves, walls etc are all okay. The only glitch is the telepoters as I am already aware, but everything else is working as it should do.

Please remember before installing the addon packs, delete or remove and backup all the folders form within the Dungeon Master Java directory - do not uninstall.
Then install the addon packs respectively. This solves many issues regrading graphical errors.

Also, as Ian as already pointed out, if creating a fully working "game" do not change the maps on the first level. Leave these as default. (The default maps can be whatever you like, but do not change the pic directories within the editor for the first level. They must be at default settings). Graphical errors will occur otherwise.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1913/exampleyh2.jpg

Here's an example of the pic directories. The "background" images are in their own corresponding folders -

eg:- Maps\twowalls\back.gif
eg:- Maps\town-rainy\back.gif etc..etc....
Cloak of Night
Neophyte

Same boat

Post by Cloak of Night »

Hi all. Great site... and, Kelly, great addition to DMJava. I like that it behaves closer to the original. Everything works much better. Thank you, thank you. I was especially happy to get my FIRE shield back (FULL BRO NETA). I was missing it. =)

So.. I'm posting here because I do seem to be having the alcove issue. The teleporter was also not showing up, but the fix mentioned above worked for me, so it's no longer an issue. But none of the alcove fixes worked. They all still appear as simple walls to me (even though they function like alcoves.. i.e. they'll hold items, giving the appearance of an object floating on a wall).
Alcoves that face one direction (east, I think it is... I might have to double check that) will look like alcoves but all others look like walls. So.. yeah. Any ideas? As I said, I tried all the fixes listed above but none of them worked. Sad for me.

Thanks in advance.

:o
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

It's been ages since I've looked at this one, but I'd assume that the directory set in the "Picture Directories By Level" don't have the correct alcove files? You'll have to check that one out in the Editor of course, then the files in the directory itself (alcove*.gif files, although he may have got png formats instead!)

Example from above:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1913/exampleyh2.jpg

Not much help - Good luck!
Cloak of Night
Neophyte

Post by Cloak of Night »

Hi.

Well, since it's not my dungeon I'm refraining from going into the editor as that would spoil the dungeon for me. However, I have made my own level to test the alcoves. All the files are in their correct place.. the directories are fine. If I use 4-sided alcoves they work perfectly. If I use one sided alcoves, they show up as walls (but still function as alcoves).

Weird, huh. heh.
leyon
Neophyte

Re: Teleporter/Alcove Pictures doesnt work.

Post by leyon »

Hello fellow dungeon crawlers! By some stroke of luck I stumbled upon DMJ. I installed Addon 1 & 2. I'm not sure of the status of Addon 3 since things seem to have quietened down, but I have a few questions atm.

1) I have the alcove problem as well. Done all the reinstalling you can imagine, deleted, overwritten, took a look in the source (I decompiled the Addon 2 source). Did anyone eventually get around to figuring it out?

2) Who has the most updated class files for DMJ at the moment (or even the source)? I've got the one in Addon 2, where having 0 stamina = death if you can't cast magic. You should be able to rest to recover stamina, and I think .. Roquen(sp?) had made some changes that made you take damage only if you have 0 stam when executing an action. Also other bugs like sounds freezing the game etc.

3) Setting the Maps directory in the editor does not seem to do anything for me in terms of changing the wallsets. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Also, does the editor have an ability to mass-swap all wall decorations with a given wallsets' ? It's slow moving renaming each file on by one, and having the whole set in a giant mess (as opposed to the directories in Maps) is confusing.

Thanks for the replies!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've got absolutely no idea, sorry. Others will help you.

But welcome to the forums! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

leyon wrote:Hello fellow dungeon crawlers! By some stroke of luck I stumbled upon DMJ. I installed Addon 1 & 2. I'm not sure of the status of Addon 3 since things seem to have quietened down, but I have a few questions atm.
Hi leyon. I stopped testing after Addon 1 where the bugs were supposed to be fixed for Addon 2 but maybe more buggettes crept in!
leyon wrote:1) I have the alcove problem as well. Done all the reinstalling you can imagine, deleted, overwritten, took a look in the source (I decompiled the Addon 2 source). Did anyone eventually get around to figuring it out?
Not really tried out the later versions unfortunately. As maybe stated earlier - one of the graphics bugs was that Kelly had the graphics file in one format and it simply needed to be converted to another to get to work!
e.g. /Maps/test/alcove01.gif to /Maps/test/alcove01.png
This may have been already a non-issue though :roll:
leyon wrote:2) Who has the most updated class files for DMJ at the moment (or even the source)?
Good luck! I've seen a few spawn's off Alan's original DMJava, but I think the most important is that the original author is active to help you out with the changes. Hmmm, there was Solito and Roquen...
leyon wrote:3) Setting the Maps directory in the editor does not seem to do anything ... Also, does the editor have an ability to mass-swap all wall decorations with a given wallsets' ?
Mine are setup like this with the correct character case(upperclass/lowerclass characters) and with the slash the right way round, thus: Maps\testDirectory
To have a new wallset, don't forget you don't need to replace all of the files, so you could have two levels with the same walls but with different a fountain to drink out of (just 13 files).
All that I can add is:

* Should I ever release my DMJava dungeon it'd be the vanilla, Alan Berfield's 1.5 version.
* Good luck! :mrgreen:
leyon
Neophyte

Post by leyon »

ian_scho wrote:Not really tried out the later versions unfortunately. As maybe stated earlier - one of the graphics bugs was that Kelly had the graphics file in one format and it simply needed to be converted to another to get to work! e.g. /Maps/test/alcove01.gif to /Maps/test/alcove01.png
This may have been already a non-issue though :roll:
Unfortunately the problem remains for me. It solved the 'invisible teleporter' problem for me though. I must say, the star trek teleports are very nice.
ian_scho wrote:Good luck! I've seen a few spawn's off Alan's original DMJava, but I think the most important is that the original author is active to help you out with the changes. Hmmm, there was Solito and Roquen...
Yeah. I suppose it does get a little quiet in here eh. I'm half-tempted to relearn Java and make my own clone, but I doubt I'd get far. :) Do you have the binaries or source to either of those authors' versions?
ian_scho wrote:Mine are setup like this with the correct character case(upperclass/lowerclass characters) and with the slash the right way round, thus: Maps\testDirectory. To have a new wallset, don't forget you don't need to replace all of the files, so you could have two levels with the same walls but with different a fountain to drink out of (just 13 files).
It doesn't seem to change things, I'm still using the default wallsets :( Maybe I got a bad editor.

Out of interest, what version of DMJ do you play? :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

leyon wrote:
ian_scho wrote:I've seen a few spawn's off Alan's original DMJava, but I think the most important is that the original author is active to help you out with the changes. Hmmm, there was Solito and Roquen...
Do you have the binaries or source to either of those authors' versions?
Unfortunately I only have Alan's 1.5 version, where you can download the source files there. Try asking the other guys for their changes!
leyon wrote:Out of interest, what version of DMJ do you play? :)
While I enjoyed tinkering with Kelly's version 0.1 modifications, I never started a dungeon with it. Before that I spent hundred's of hours stuck in the editor on Alan's 1.5 version... One day I shall release it unfinished, yet 'complete' enough to enjoy :wink:
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

I really need to get around to releasing an alpha of my hacked DMJ. Resource issues are easier to deal with. (curse beowuuf for introducing me to KoL which is chewing up all my spare time!) Some of the changes are described here.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

O.O

I blame Ameena too...she helped....
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

True. But it's your "flashy" banner that caught my eye...GTG need to pick the meat tree.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh heh...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!