Thoughts on Upgrading JRE compatibility

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

How interested are you in a Dungeon Master Java that would work with JAVA JRE 1.5 or higher?

Very Interested! I don't even care if my old maps don't work.
33%
Very Interested! But only if my old maps work.
No votes
Somewhat interested. I don't care about map compatiblity.
No votes
Somewhat interested. But my maps must work.
33%
Silly Daniel, Java 1.5 is for nerds.
33%

Total votes: 3

danielshaefer
Neophyte

Thoughts on Upgrading JRE compatibility

Post by danielshaefer »

I thought I would throw out to the community at large the question of making Dungeon Master Java compatible with JRE 1.5 & even 1.6. I have DMJ currently running on Java 5 myself, however, with the upgrade (due to AWT library reorganization) any old maps and such (just maps not graphics) are not currently usable.

So the actual question is:

Who is interested in:
DMJ that would work with Java 1.5 or higher?
Would it be worth it even if old maps were no longer compatible?

(I ask these questions because I may be willing to spend the time to FIX the incompatibility if people would be interested in the upgrade but only with current maps carried over.)

Discuss.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'm quite happy with version 1.4, but if the project is to 'live' and grow, it should really be updated to the newer frameworks.
I voted as "But my maps must work", but the author simply needs to specify which version of DMJava to run so maybe it's not so important after all....
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Updating DMJ to a later version of Java would be extremely useful - especially for the graphical modifier.

It's something I always wanted to do, but lacked both time and knowledge. The modifications I have made were more simplier and understandable - hence the two addon packs.
I especially wanted to be able to animate within Java. In my addon packs I used 4 or 5 images, then linked them together with the actual DMJ editor via switches.

I would be more than happy to send you the source code I have modified - please PM me your email if your still interested.

As for compatibility, it might cause a problem for some, but I would be interested to see your ideas either way. The maps themselves can always be reworked if need be and would allow for further modifications to be under-taken.

All in all, it's a great idea. The more modifications made, the better the overall "feel" of DMJ.