View windows size or zoom

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crash.
Adept

View windows size or zoom

Post by Crash. »

Greetings,

Is there any way to increase the size of the viewing window in Dungeon Master Java? One of the news items on the originating web site says: "Nice zoom feature", although I can't find any mention of this in the readme file.

In trying to make the viewing window larger, I tried different screen resolutions. At 800x600, all of the contents disappear, while at any higher resolution the view is small.

The minimum resolution that I can scale the window down to before items start disappearing is 880x690, which seems odd. It would help a great deal if the gigantic borders on the top and left sides could be removed.

For Comparison:

Thanks!
Last edited by Crash. on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I don't have the files with me now, but if an option existed it would be in a .properties file. I don't recall that there is an option to be able to do this, unfortunately, and this old thread repeats that.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Crash, is the shot of RTC above an actual sized screenshot, or resized in a graphics package?

Since GG changed the behaviour of large resolutions, it's not possible to get that effect anymore, so I assume you did it in Photoshop. RTC will also behave like DM Java in this regard -- at resolutions higher than the game area, it just sits in the middle of the screen with big borders around it.

All these 2D clones are resolution dependent and as far as I know none of them have scaling as an option.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

The shot of RTC was originally 640x480, but my monitor is 1920x1200, and since RTC runs full screen, the viewing window is quite large.

I resized it (using Paint.net) to the same rough dimensions as Dungeon Master Java for the purpose of comparison. If I snapped photos of my monitor while playing each game, this is what it would they look like.

I'm not trying to change the resolution of these games, since I'm aware that scaling is not currently possible with this type of game engine. I just want to play without squinting at a 4 inch diagonal viewing window.

Since DMJ runs in a desktop window, I've been struggling to get it to a size that isn't painfully tiny, and the closest I can get is the above pictured at 1024x768. If the margins in DMJ could be eliminated, I might be able to get it to run in 800x600, which would be a welcome improvement.

Regarding scaling, the important difference is that CSBWin can be run on a desktop at 800x600 or 640x480, while RTC and DSB will switch to and run at full screen. My monitor does the scaling.

Here's an unstretched shot that you've probably already seen.

Cheers!
Last edited by Crash. on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah yes, that's the key thing -- RTC is still running at 640x480 internally (well, actually 640x400, but hey) -- LCD monitors will scale fullscreen but doing a screengrab will only result in a 640x480 file.

Anyway, unless DMJ is recoded with a scaling routine by some clever person, I think you're out of luck.
ian_scho wrote:I don't have the files with me now, but if an option existed it would be in a .properties file. I don't recall that there is an option to be able to do this, unfortunately, and this old thread repeats that.
Jeepers, did I really still have a Pentium 1 in 2001!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about Java, but it would seem that the position of items in the window would be a fairly easy thing to adjust. If everything could just be moved to the upper left corner...

2001? I was probably using an Atari ;)
isamuu
Journeyman

Re: View windows size or zoom

Post by isamuu »

Yes, I too would like to know if there's been any progress with increasing the window size in DMJ? At this size, it really loses the immersion that the original game had. Being able to scale it would be an awesome feature :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Alandale re-released the game recently. Not sure myself, download the new version and play aroudn with it, it might have been added (I usually play in the default window)
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Yeah, I checked out the new version. Still didn't see any kind of scaling feature as an option however. Oh well, perhaps there's some sort of hidden way to do it.
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

Unfortunately no, there is no scale option. There used to be a fullscreen mode, but I removed it because it was buggy with modern Java runtimes. Simply scaling the dungeon view as the window size changes should be possible though. If I get inspired to do anything more on DMJ I'll look into it.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

alandale wrote: Simply scaling the dungeon view as the window size changes should be possible though. If I get inspired to do anything more on DMJ I'll look into it.
That would be very awesome alandale. Please consider it, as it will make me go back to playing DMJ in a New York minute! :D
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

I experimented with scaling over the weekend, and I've actually gotten something that works fairly well. It doesn't adjust automatically with the window size, but there is an easy enough slider in the options dialog. It defaults to 1x, but the slider goes up to 4x and allows fractional scale values (1.7x is fits best on my small laptop screen). Obviously scaling up 2D art is not going to look perfect, but it isn't too bad. The text probably looks the worst, but it's still readable.

I still need to test it on Windows, but assuming it works I'll put up a new version sometime later this week.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

alandale wrote:I experimented with scaling over the weekend, and I've actually gotten something that works fairly well. It doesn't adjust automatically with the window size, but there is an easy enough slider in the options dialog. It defaults to 1x, but the slider goes up to 4x and allows fractional scale values (1.7x is fits best on my small laptop screen). Obviously scaling up 2D art is not going to look perfect, but it isn't too bad. The text probably looks the worst, but it's still readable.

I still need to test it on Windows, but assuming it works I'll put up a new version sometime later this week.
FANTASTIC NEWS Alandale! Wow can't wait to check it out! Let us know when it's uploaded man. :D
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

The new version with dungeon view scaling has been uploaded.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

alandale wrote:The new version with dungeon view scaling has been uploaded.
Just wanted to say good job, and thanks :)