Dungeon Master Java for dummies

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
farvardin
Novice

Dungeon Master Java for dummies

Post by farvardin »

Hello,

I've downloaded the original DM java a while ago (I think it was the 1.05 version). It's interesting, but I see a lot of addons were released later.

Is there an "absolute" pack with all the greatest additions + the DMJ we could find on internet, all in just ONE package to get ?
It's also a bit confusing there are several forums and websites about this project.

Is there also a version of DM Java with the original DM1 and DM2 tiles ? I'd love to run it natively on Linux and be able to easily create new dungeons.

Note: I don't know how to run solito's modified version.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Dungeon Master Java for dummies

Post by ian_scho »

farvardin wrote:Is there also a version of DM Java with the original DM1 and DM2 tiles ? I'd love to run it natively on Linux and be able to easily create new dungeons.
I've never seen one, which is surprising isn't it?! I've spent hundred's of hours in front of the default one in the package and I promise you that you won't tire of it either.
farvardin wrote: Note: I don't know how to run solito's modified version.
I think I tried it last week too (has a start screen with three skulls on top of a broken gated door)! Couldn't get it working on Java 1.5 either :( The buttons on the initial screen were missing or hidden. I wonder if I had the most uptodate version of his work?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM1 and CSB were available, see the custom dungeon forum, but DM2 wasn't :(
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

For the engine, I had the impression that the version here:

http://www.freewebs.com/dmjmodifications/

was the most up-to-date & working (on JDK 5,6,7)...am I wrong here?
farvardin
Novice

Post by farvardin »

Thank you for your answers.

For the solito's version, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. Compile it? Run it with java? (but it's not working at all). I'm using openjdk and i'm more used to run a jar file.

For the dmjmodifications, is it possible to get them as simple zipped archive instead of .exe ?
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

WRT: Solito's verision...where did you grab it from? As of the version from Kelly's site (dmjmodifications) the .exe is an installer.
Remma12
Novice

Post by Remma12 »

I downloaded the zip from here
http://solito.free.fr/games/dmjava/solito_addon_v2.php
(it's towards the bottom of the page)
Unzipped it and overwrote my existing DMJ files, worked fine, runnin on xp
farvardin
Novice

Post by farvardin »

ok I understand better.

I've downloaded from http://homepage.mac.com/aberfield/dmj/download.html (1.05) but it wasn't working.
I've installed Solito's mod inside the dmj folder, replacing a bunch of files ; http://solito.free.fr/games/dmjava/solito_addon_v2.php

It's working now, but I don't get the faces (but it's still better than before).

It's a pity there is not a single package with everything good inside, instead of so many confusing websites (and most of them looks quite outdated)