Running Java in Vista

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
vexirk356
Craftsman

Running Java in Vista

Post by vexirk356 »

Can someone tell me if it is possible to run DM Java under Windows Vista. If so, could you please tell me what I need and how to set it up. Many thanks.
Roquen
Artisan

Re: Running Java in Vista

Post by Roquen »

Humm..should have ask this in the DMJ board! (edit: ignore that, I think I wasn't awake yet)

You'll have to provide more details. I have no problems running DMJ under Vista. (edit: following added). What java are you using and which flavor of DMJ are you attempting to use?
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

I want to run Dungeon Master Java under Vista. I did it in XP without any problems. I do have Java on Vista but when I run the Dungeon Master Java setup it fails to recognise its presence. I am running Java Version 6.
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Further to my earlier emails I have just run DMJ105 and it states that it can't find Java 1.4. Herein lies the problem as Java for Vista starts at Version 6. So it seems unless DM Java is updated to use Version 6 in Vista then there is no way you can play it. Unless anyone knows any different of course.........
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

1.6 is backward compat. How are you starting up?
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Are we talking DMJ 1.6 or Java? If it is Java 1.6 will it work under Vista. If it is DMJ 1.6 where can I download it?
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Err..sorry I was talking about Java. (edit) Are you using a batch file to launch?
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

No an exe file.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe the same -cp append to the command is needed (look on the ezboards DMJ forum). Use a bat file or shortcut to add the appropriate switch perhaps?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Open a command prompt and type "java -version" return. Should get something other than an error. If not your enviornment variables are not set up correct. If it spews out a version number, make a batch file (like Launch.bat) with the following line: "start javaw -Xmx512m DMNew" (There should be a plain file called DMNew.class)
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Think we are on the wrong lines here. The error actually occurs when running the DMJ105 setup file. When you run DMJ105 it extracts all the files to a specified file i.e c:\programfiles\DMJava, when it reaches a certain point in the install it looks for Java 1.4 on your computer. If its not there it gives the message Java 1.4 not found install will abort. So unless you have Java 1.4 on your computer there is no way DMJ105 will install. The only answer to this is if someone updates DMJ105 to work with a much later version of Java that can be installed on Vista i.e Version 6 and above. Really can't see that happening but you can live in hope.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Unless Alandale did something clever, I have no idea why it is looking for your version of Java. Is this an opion in vista you are falling foul of? If it is something clever at the end of the extraction by Alandale, then are you sure it is not trying to perhaps paste a shortcut for you at the very end? If so, all the files should be extracted ok, so you just need to find them and link to them as described by roquen
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Ok. We're getting somehere. Didn't understand that it was an install problem. I'd suggest grabbing solito's version and using it. http://solito.free.fr/games/dmjava/solito_addon_v2.php
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Beowuuf

Had the same problem when I used to install in under XP. If you try to run the install program for DMJ105 and you haven't got the correct version of Java then it automatically aborts. I would assume that Alandale put this trigger in to ensure that Java 1.4 was on the computer before users tried to run DMjava.exe after it had installed.
Hypnotoad
Neophyte

Post by Hypnotoad »

HOW TO GET IT WORKING IN JAVA

I had the same problem with Dungeon Master Java and Vista.

When you install regardless of whether you have Java 1.4 installed or not you get the error message "Can't find Java 1.4".

The game still installs though.

So get and install Java 1.4 before or after DMJ, you can get it here: http://www.germanja.de/index.php?iframe ... /index.php and find. - "You can download them on the Donloadpage too !" at the bottom of the page, click on the link and it's on the bottom of that page.

Now to run the game make a Shortcut on the desktop.

In the Type location of item box, put this: "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_12\bin\java.exe" "dmnew"

Click next, then name it what ever you like and finish.

Go to back to the shortcut and right click on it and go down to properties.

Put this in the Start in box, under the Shortcut tab: "C:\Program Files\Dungeon Master Java" press OK and you're done.