New release for Windows and Mac

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
alandale
Apprentice

New release for Windows and Mac

Post by alandale »

I've made a small update to DMJ to fix compatibility issues with modern Java. Windows and Mac in the same download. No more broken Windows installer, now just download the zip file, extract it, and double-click an executable.

Tested on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and Windows XP SP3. Hopefully someone can verify things are working on Windows 7 and Vista?

Other minor changes:
  • - Low stamina doesn't cause as much damage
    - Reduced difficulty a little in the early stages of the default dungeon
http://homepage.mac.com/aberfield/dmj
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: New release for Windows and Mac

Post by beowuuf »

Oooh, very cool! I think those three things will make it so much easier to give DMJ another try. Do you have the DM / CSB ports as part of the download? If not, I'll go hunt down the links and make sure they work too.
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

beowuuf wrote:Oooh, very cool! I think those three things will make it so much easier to give DMJ another try. Do you have the DM / CSB ports as part of the download? If not, I'll go hunt down the links and make sure they work too.
My dungeon and the original DM dungeon are included. No CSB.
Gandalf
Novice

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks Alandale for this stunning new version. It works just fine under Vista SP2. I played version 1.05 patched for years under XP ;-)

I would eventually try to compile it from sources for Ubuntu.
Dungeon MaSTer since 1987 , DMJava & RTC Designer from these glorious days ;-)
syrphid001
Novice

Post by syrphid001 »

Nice update, however I am finding that some of the icons in the editor are hidden by the map. I assume you have a widescreen monitor ?
fritze75
Neophyte

Post by fritze75 »

Hello,
does anyone have a step-by-step guide to run the new DMJ release under Linux?

thx
fritze75
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

fritze75 wrote:Hello,
does anyone have a step-by-step guide to run the new DMJ release under Linux?
I haven't tried it on Linux, but you should be able to use the jar files inside the .app bundles.
From the command line, go to the game directory and then execute:

Code: Select all

java -jar Dungeon\ Master\ Java.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Dungeon\ Master\ Java.jar
Gandalf
Novice

Post by Gandalf »

Here is a guide for linux and esp. Ubuntu : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 99782.html

Summary:

To get sound from Dungeon Master Java, you must use Sun's jdk and/or use padsp (The game may be use an old audio engine, that's not compiled into the kernel anymore. In some cases padsp can workaround the problem. You can use it when launching eg. a game. padsp <path>/<binary> )

You have to enable "partner" repositories in Synaptic Package Manager" or "Ubuntu Software Center" first.

Remove OpenJava:
sudo apt-get remove --purge icedtea6-plugin openjdk-6-jdk openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib openjdk-6-jdk

Install Sun Java
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jdk

Copy the the file "./Dungeon Master Java/Dungeon Master Java.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Dungeon Master Java.jar" into "./Dungeon Master Java" and then in the terminal cd into "Dungeon Master Java" and run :

java -jar Dungeon\ Master\ Java.jar
or
padsp java -jar Dungeon\ Master\ Java.jar

BTW Alan's homepage is closed now ( all services are down since June Thanks Apple )

Here are some (untested ) mirrors:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html
http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche ... -java.html
Dungeon MaSTer since 1987 , DMJava & RTC Designer from these glorious days ;-)