various observations on DMJava

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
silvercoon
Neophyte

various observations on DMJava

Post by silvercoon »

I used to run DMJ on one of the WIN systems years ago. Overall, I found it limiting, but promising. Good eye candy, but the lack of an automap was a buzzkill. I also had a time trying to navigate error messages in order to get the game to run.
Now running a newer version under Linux, and it 's Much Better. Setup was a lot easier too. I find certain bugs overall to be acceptable, as long as the game doesn't freeze/crash, or otherwise become unplayable. Like the following:

In some dungeons you can see the character's portrait when you view them prior to reviving/resurrecting them, in others you can't regardless. I've never see them (at least I haven't so far) in any dungeon I've seen.

The automap should have the 'party on map' indicator replaced with a directional icon. While I am grateful for this option (understatement) , it can be confusing trying to orient yourself. Of course, it can be easier once you get the compass...

There should be a 'converter' of sorts for different map formats (like from DMPC and RTC), unless that would be too difficult. But I would like to see DMII playable.

If someone isn't doing so already, there should be at least one specific person monitoring these forums with an eye for 'bug reports', etc. Then when a solution is found (or if one already exists), the FAQs/guides/howtos could be updated accordingly. Isn't there a certain (almost) sadistic pleasure when an admin gets to tell a newbie, 'RTFM'? If reading a doc would give me an answer, it would preferable, and we could see a Top10 list of RTFM comebacks.

I do have one serious problem, though. I saw this elsewhere, just can't remember where (maybe EZBoard?)
I'm playing the original dungeon 'dmorig.dat', and I'm training on the 'Choose your door Choose your fate' level. My character's stamina starts dropping at an accelerated rate, and eventually dies. Is there a solution for this?
alandale
Apprentice

Re: various observations on DMJava

Post by alandale »

Just now getting around to responding. Odds are the poster will never see this, but here goes anyway:
silvercoon wrote:I used to run DMJ on one of the WIN systems years ago. Overall, I found it limiting, but promising. Good eye candy, but the lack of an automap was a buzzkill. I also had a time trying to navigate error messages in order to get the game to run.
Now running a newer version under Linux, and it 's Much Better. Setup was a lot easier too. I find certain bugs overall to be acceptable, as long as the game doesn't freeze/crash, or otherwise become unplayable. Like the following:

In some dungeons you can see the character's portrait when you view them prior to reviving/resurrecting them, in others you can't regardless. I've never see them (at least I haven't so far) in any dungeon I've seen.
I've never seen this before. It could be issues with the custom dungeons themselves, or missing/bad portrait files? I think the game just saves the path to the file.
silvercoon wrote:The automap should have the 'party on map' indicator replaced with a directional icon. While I am grateful for this option (understatement) , it can be confusing trying to orient yourself. Of course, it can be easier once you get the compass...
I think I did this intentionally, so it wouldn't make things too easy. It would be nice to have an option, or maybe show direction if the party has a compass.
silvercoon wrote:There should be a 'converter' of sorts for different map formats (like from DMPC and RTC), unless that would be too difficult. But I would like to see DMII playable.
This would be way too difficult, since the formats and engine capabilities are so different.
silvercoon wrote:I do have one serious problem, though. I saw this elsewhere, just can't remember where (maybe EZBoard?)
I'm playing the original dungeon 'dmorig.dat', and I'm training on the 'Choose your door Choose your fate' level. My character's stamina starts dropping at an accelerated rate, and eventually dies. Is there a solution for this?
Sounds like you're starving or dehydrated?
silvercoon
Neophyte

Re: various observations on DMJava

Post by silvercoon »

QUOTE: Sounds like you're starving or dehydrated?

In this case, the acceleration is much worse, and when this bug occurs, using food/water Does Not Help. The character still dies.

Thanks for responding.