Level 1 in DM Java

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gothmog Bieber
Neophyte

Level 1 in DM Java

Post by Gothmog Bieber »

Hi All,

I believe I've cleared all there is to clear on level 1 in DM Java, with the exception of the "Only the Strong Shall Pass" section. According to the advice of others, this section need not be completed on the first go-round.

But I can't unlock the door leading to the stairs. Specifically, there does not appear to be a key hole. I can't bash it down, and I can't magically open it. I've messed with all the visible switches on the level. Is there a switch or something that I'm missing?

I'm left holding a sapphire key and a solid key, but no lock to put them in. There are no other unlocked doors on the level.

Any help much appreciated.
alandale
Apprentice

Re: Level 1 in DM Java

Post by alandale »

There's a wall button that toggles the door blocking the stairs down. You can find the button after you pass the hallway with the blinking pits and step into the teleport.
Gothmog Bieber
Neophyte

Post by Gothmog Bieber »

Thanks very much for the reply, but unfortunately I'm not sure where you're referring to. To be sure, what I call "level 1" might also be called "level 0." It's the level with the Hall of Champions. The areas I've seen are:

- "The caverns"
- "Five keys / Five doors" (a puzzle room)
- "Vi altar of rebirth"
- "Only the Strong Shall Pass" (although, I didn't make much progress in this area).

I only saw two wall switches: a green one near the top of the map, above the Vi Altar of Rebirth area, and a red one in a room near the "Only the Strong Shall Pass" area. Neither of them seem to toggle the stairs down, and I don't see any blinking pits or teleports.

Any further hints you can provide?

(And -- PS, thanks for porting DM to Java. I first played DM on an Amiga 1000 as a young teenager, and now nearly 20 years later I'm enjoying every bit of revisiting it! :) )
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

The hallway with blinking pits I mentioned begins in the southeast of the caverns. After the teleport is a large open room with an alcove that I think has the solid key. There are four side rooms with doors that require keys of b, each holding some goodies. The only way to leave the area is to push a stone button that teleports you back to the 3 black doors. This also opens the black door that blocks the stairway down.
If you're still stuck you could always cheat a little and look at your save game in the editor.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gothmog Bieber wrote:I first played DM on an Amiga 1000 as a young teenager, and now nearly 20 years later I'm enjoying every bit of revisiting it!
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the DM Java dungeon is not the original DM dungeon. So you're actually visiting something new. ;)