DMJava V2.2 by Solito

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
solito
Journeyman

Re: DMJava V2.2 by Solito

Post by solito »

patch 2.6-5 available
- When the party exits an Event square (while all animation is suspended), the walk keys are reset.
- Fix the special Ability panel in the editor so the first available ability is set properly.
- *Important bug fix: Fix the experience gained for main skills (ex. Invoke action), all sub-skills get shared and balanced experience.
- Fix the experience gained from an Event square.
- Fix decoration generator tool in the editor: Decoration is no longer generated near stairs.
topkat59
Neophyte

Post by topkat59 »

I read the following from Molda22 27-oct-11 and i have the same problem.

Please can anyone help me. No matter what i do, which version i try, i can't run it. I wanted to play Dungeon Master Java, so i downloaded the original dm java 1.5 or 1.0.5 i think. It installed itself to program files, but there is no bat or exe file to start. So i downloaded this version solito 2.2 with 2.3 patch. And there is bat file. But when i start it, nothing happens. Or rather some little window pops up, but just for nano second so i cant read what it says and thats it.
Can someone help me? I have Win 7 if it helps. Thanks

i am running a very high end machine with windows 7 and i downloaded the java run time engine that is called for and i tried editing the DMNEW batch file as mentioned with the path. but when i click on the DMNEW all i get is a brief flash of a screen but nothing else. what should i do to get this running ?
Thanks !
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I know NOTHING of DM Java. Zip.

But, when those screens pop up and disappear:

Run a command-line interface......use the Windows
START button....select RUN....type "cmd" in the
space provided...press "OK". You should get a
command-line window. Change to the drive and
directory of interest by typing the following
two lines(for example):

D:
cd \Program Files\DMJava

then type the name of the batch file and press enter.

Then the error will stay around long enough to see.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Java runtime environment is needed and the batch file has to be adjusted to the path where JRE is.
See those comments in the end of the download page:

This version runs with java jre1.5.0_10. You can find it here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp (choose Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 15)

How to run the Game: Run the 'dmnew.bat' batch file (You may have to update the batch file to set the proper path to Java)
How to run the Editor: Run the 'dmedit.bat' batch file (You may have to update the batch file to set the proper path to Java)

Edit - tried it myself:
This Java download link isn't really helpful anymore...
At least I can say trying to run it with my jdk1.6.0_21 or jre6 will end in nothing.
(in the batchfile there's nothing but the commandline to run java)
*confused*
topkat59
Neophyte

Post by topkat59 »

the java web site that the link above from "bit" goes to is where you can still get the java RTE 5.0 update 15 but even after you download and install it java 2.6 solito still does not work.
i put JRE 5.0 in 2 places on my computer (not counting the 6.X version already on the machine) in C:\Program File and C:\Program File(x86), but nothing works.
I went to the DMNEW batch file as mentioned with the instructions on solitos download page and changed the path, but when I click on the DMNEW all I get is a brief flash of a screen but nothing else.
I even tried putting the dmnew batch file to respond in xp compatibility mode, what else can i try or do ?
thanks !
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

Please, run a command line as Paul Steven explained just above.
Then go to your dungeon master directory by using the command CD: ex. "CD C:\DMJ-Solito-v2-6" (without quotes)
Once in the appropriate directory, just type "dmnew.bat" (without quotes)

Tell us what you see... we may be able to help you from there.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The reason is ridiculous as can be...
The batch doesn't like a pathname with a blank in between.
Solution: move the whole java-folder outside 'program files' and set that path then in the batch file.
Everything is fine - even with jre6.

/me hands a towel to solito.
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

Easier and less risky other solution:
Edit the batch file and replace :
C:\your long pathname with blanks\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1100m -Xms1000m -cp . dmnew
by
"C:\your long pathname with blanks\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1100m -Xms1000m -cp . dmnew

(the quotes here tells windows to treat the whole line as a single command instead of separate commands)
topkat59
Neophyte

Post by topkat59 »

Thanks a million solito !! the fix ("C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_15\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1100m -Xms1000m -cp . dmnew) worked great. I haven't played with it much yet but i opened the game and selected a delver and bumped into walls to see if working and so far looks like its doing well. Hope others with this problem see this post.
Thanks again.
Allen
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

patch 2.6-6 available
- Bug fix: Projectiles end properly against pillars and pass through broken pillars.
- It is now possible to see the available abilities of an hero in a mirror.
pinkertonius
Neophyte

Post by pinkertonius »

Solito, your port(?) is quite nice but does it have any scaling option? The play screen is quite tiny on my 1980xx1020 monitor. That is the only factor giving me reservations about using this over another clone.

EDIT: for those with problems.... I too had the problem getting it running. I simply moved the Jre1.5.0whatever folder to the root drive and renamed it JavaDM. Then I edited the DMNEW.bat so that it pointed to it (i.e. C:/JavaDM) and it worked fine for me.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Hey solito, do you have any plans to update alandale's original non-DM dungeon for your new version? I really liked it because the original DM dungeon I can do with my eyes closed. It was nice to have a different dungeon and chars to play in.
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

Hi,

Yes I already made an update to Alendale's dungeon but I'm still working on a new patch. There will be many changes and bug fixes.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Great! I'll be waiting. I like DM java cuz of its differentness, even though it was the first clone.
leyon
Neophyte

Post by leyon »

Not sure what's up but I cannot download the 2.6_6 patch AT ALL. I must've tried at least 20-30 times with different browsers, download managers, and so on. There is something messed up with the host, it keeps cutting the 907mb file short, usually around the 300ish mark.

Edit: Managed to get everything downloaded except the Hint class file, hopefully that wasn't important. I can't get the program to run at all. I've updated my Java Runtime. This is what is in dmnew and dmedit.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx600m -Xms500m -cp . dmnew
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -cp . DMEditor
The dmnew bat file does nothing (with and without memory specifications), while DMEditor complains about not being able to find the DMEditor class file. I've tried moving the Java folder out of Program Files, as well as trying to just run it manually. Any idea?
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

This is what I have for the original DMJava Editor command line. Can you check the 'Start In' part of your shortcut. The "." bit means in English "This currently executing directory" and that is where the DMEditor.class file must be!

Code: Select all

Execute: "C:\Archivos de programa\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\javaw.exe" -cp . DMEditor
Start In: "D:\Archivos de programa\Games\Dungeon Master Java"
leyon
Neophyte

Post by leyon »

I managed to get it running but without applying the latest patch. I will check it out again when I have a working 2.6_6, but 2.6_5 seems ok for now ^_^.

Also, is this the current latest & greatest? The graphics don't seem too different since last year... :p
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

Most updates are in the code.
I also adjusted some of the graphics lately.
There will be tons of fine tunings and new stuff (like set items: combination of items that give extra stats).
Next patch will be a complete new zip file of the entire game (same version though)

I will post here when I'm ready...
leyon
Neophyte

Post by leyon »

Sounds good. I know time travels slowly in here but hey, any news is good news :)
captainx
Neophyte

Post by captainx »

Hello Solito,

First let me say what a great job you have been doing to update the code and improve it. Having said that, I have a couple items I wanted to mention that need improving:

1. Can we get mp3 files to be used for music and sound effects instead of wav files? I want to play music on each level of a dungeon but its out of the question when the wav files for a piece of music is 400 megs and only 3 megs for the same music mp3. Same thing for sound effects. You can keep the wav files just add an option for mp3s. Is it possible to make a song play just once instead of always repeating over and over? Just a thought.

2. Imagine instead of having to click those big clunky arrows to move you simply clicked inside the game window to move. For example, Click TOP LEFT of the game window you turn LEFT, click MIDDLE LEFT of the game window and you SLIDE LEFT, Click bottom middle you step backwards.Repeat for the right hand side. Would be a much more elegant design then having to move the mouse out of the game window to click the arrows and then move the cursor back to the game window constantly.

3. When will you be able to release the source code for the program? I wouldn't mind taking a look through it and making some of my own adjustments as well.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you,

CaptainX
t0nedude
Novice

Post by t0nedude »

Hey Solito, me is still here...

Great to see you're still working on this. Any news or idea when 2.10 is going to be released? Let me guess - When it's ready? *sigh* :)

I'm so looking forward to this version....

Keep up the great work....

Regards,

Tony.

EDIT: OOPPSS - Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyone.
solito
Journeyman

Post by solito »

Have a look at this thread:
[url]http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 50&t=29639[/url]