DMJ Dungeon

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
LordGarth
Apprentice

DMJ Dungeon

Post by LordGarth »

Hello,

I have just started my new dugeon with DMJ. DMJ looks like a great editor for me. I am trying to put music into it. Do MP3 files work. I put sounds into the game using a floor switch.

I am also trying to put new monsters in but with no luck.

I hope to have a really awesome 26 floor dungeon at least to everyone to go through.

Thx,

LordGarth
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: DMJ Dungeon

Post by ian_scho »

I doubt that mp3 works - I can only see the wav sound format used within the Sounds subdirectory. Of course, give your mp3s a try and maybe they will work after all! Copy them into the Sounds directory and try it...

It's quality and not quantity that counts ;)

Good luck!
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Seems to be only wav files that work.

Does anyone know of a good website that has free WAV MUSIC files.

I found one scary cool wav music to put into my dungeon but I would like more than one LOL.

Thx,

LordGarth
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Winamp should be able to convert your mp3 files to wav files. I think audacity is still free, so you could then trim the large wav file to be ok to play in DMJ with whatever compression you might want.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Hello all,

I found a good mp3 to wav converter and I have found alot of good horror music.

hahah With all the sounds and music I have, you will scared to go through my dungeon even if it had no monsters.

hahahha

LordGarth
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Unfortunately WAV files are huge: people may not download your dungeon if it's too large. This is why MP3 was developed ;-)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Convert from .MP3 to .WAV as part of the installation process?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Paul, if you find a nice little C-library for that, tell me.
Haven't looked for something so far.
But as Gambit stated, I think it's worth it.
For Java there's something here:
http://oatv.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/08/11 ... d-mp3.html

edit: For MSVC perhaps that one?
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-vid ... ldlib.aspx
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'm not sure download size does make a difference for most of us now, to be honest. May I recommend though that you test going through a few levels / music tracks in one session and check out the size of the java application? Hopefully the application's memory management is sorted out and won't attempt to maintain everything you load in there... Thing's will slow down otherwise.
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

I am not sure what files I would have to post for others to download. I am changing and adding alot of equipment and monsters. So I guess they would need the entire DMJ file and have a folder seperate from their current DMJ for my specific DMJ.

And I dont know why some of the wave files are not working. Some growl files for new monsters do not work and an evil laugh file or two is not working either.

Hmmmm

LordGarth
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

LordGarth wrote:I am not sure what files I would have to post for others to download. I am changing and adding alot of equipment and monsters. So I guess they would need the entire DMJ file and have a folder seperate from their current DMJ for my specific DMJ.

Offering the whole thing to download may well be the easiest thing to do, as there are a few versions of DMJ floating around.
LordGarth wrote:And I dont know why some of the wave files are not working. Some growl files for new monsters do not work and an evil laugh file or two is not working either.
Always check the 'path' to the file. Maybe you have the folder symbol the wrong way round, for example. I think it goes straight to the Sounds directory anyway and you've copied your wav files in there?

ALSO make sure you have the CASE of the files the same in the edit as the actual file.
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Every thing is in the sound file and I will recheck the spelling.

And the size of the overall file is 1 gig ouch that got big quick hahahhaha

LordGarth
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

1GB? !!!!! Perhaps try and reduce that a bit! ;-)
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Not sure how I could reduce that and all I did was add sounds I have about 30 scary music wav files and 15 or 20 sound wav files added. The dungeon is 3 floors so far.

LordGarth
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Seriously, 1GB!??? That's insane. How long are these pieces of music? You should just include small 30 second snippets at the most. 4 or 5 minute tracks are out of the question if you are using WAV.

Trust me, NO ONE is going to download a 1GB custom dungeon just for some background music.
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

The music creates ambience.

And I am hoping for Legends of Grimrock to come out soon.

LordGarth
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You could use DSB or RTC instead. They have support for mp3, ogg, and other formats that won't bloat your file size nearly so much. :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@LordGarth: I understand that you want ambient music in your game, but you're ignoring good advice from people who've already been through this learning curve:

Uncompressed WAVS are TOO LARGE. You need to use a compressed format such as MP3 or OGG.

If DmJava doesn't support MP3 or OGG, then I seriously suggest you switch to a different game engine such as RTC or DSB to build your custom dungeon, as Sophia pointed out.
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Hello,

The files size will end up being what it ends up being. If someone wishes to download it, go ahead, if not then dont. Also perhaps all engines from now on can be advanced enough to use mp3s. Hopefully more advanced than Nintendo. And when a good advanced game engine comes out like Legends of Grimrock looks to be, I wont be wasting my time with any of these ancient game engines.

Maybe a patch could be made for DMJ for mp3s to be used or at least an upgrade to midi. Or maybe I will fly over to Japan to get a good game engine. They seem to know how to do it.

LordGarth
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Once again......if the resulting game is multi-gigabyte
but is worth more than eighty-eight cents then we can
easily distribute it via micro-SDHC. I even volunteer
to do the bulk of the work.