New Lone Wolf!

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

New Lone Wolf!

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, according to Amazon, book 1 is published tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Dark-Lon ... 905850654/

EDIT: Ah, further down the page it says September 6th.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO, you had me worried! I would hope I'd know when it would be released pretty darn quickly given a few Mongoose guys are members over on the TotS forums!

Funny how amazon do that though!

Anywya, the new lone wolf is liek the director's cut - apparently it will have a new start in line with the comp game.

Also, I'm given to understand further books will have a mini-game of events running parallel to the Lone Wolf story. I wonder if this would be Banedon's story, like the MC game...

If anyone cares, then I can let you know, or better yet join the forums for either Project Aon or Tower of the Sun! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Out of interest, how do you pronounce Banedon?

Ban-eee-don

or

Bayn-don?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I am scared to listen to the audio books, as apparently it's pronouces Gee-ak!

But I say Bany-don and Guy-ak and kye
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I always said Ban-ee-don and Gee-ak. It's these little differences that make the world an interesting place. Or summat.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'll be honest with you, I don't know what you are talking about (just as I never have a clue when you talk about a new British TV show), but pronunciation trouble in books, especially fantasy books, is actually something that really bothers me, or at least used to bother me. And since most of the fantasy stuff here comes from the US or the UK anyway, you are not only not sure whether to pronounce a certain name as if it would be German or English, and if that isn't enough already, you also have no clue how it should be pronounced in English! It makes communicating with others troublesome I think, especially when someone pronounces a name in a way that seems really silly to you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, that's funny, when I started my fantasy novels I deliberately said words in my head how I wanted, even though i knew the rough accent that epople should ahve, etc

Wahahaha

And it is soooooooooooooo Guy-ak! It's more nicely gutteral!

We are talking about a n adventure game series that was released about 1984 and carried on for 28 books (and one spin off series) that is being re-printed and finished.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i've read the 1st book of the serie (Loup Solitaire in french) when i was 11 or 12, but the rules where a bit more complicated than FF, Sorcery! or Golden Dragon, so i haven't gone further.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

aww, but that's half the fun - and growing the character over the books is cool too! Actualyl, I believe the books are still big in France to an extent you can still get the french translations i nthe shops or soemthing!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, further news on the LW books and the release!

While the paperbakcs will be released on 6th September, if you order the books through the publishers Mongoose, there are collector's Edition Hardbacks that will be available from July 31st (that I do not think will be available in the shops).

There seems to be a release shedule planned of about 6 - 8 weeks between each book. The first book will have an extended fight scene at the start of the monestery. Further books are planned to have the new material as additional mini-adventures, themed around events in each book. Note that these mini-adventures won't actually be penned by JD himself (he is busy with the last four books and the computer game) but will be fully approved (not just rubber stamped) by JD.

There will also be two sets of novel trilogies released, one to do with the Lencians, and one to do with Agarash the Damned.

Note, none of the mini-adventures are planned to be Banedon themed, as I blieve if the Lone Wolf books do well then a Banedon-centric gamebook series may be planned.

Finally, there will be new artwork for the re-released books, by the artist Richard Longmore. You can see examples of his art here:
http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?artid=31024

Infact, the picture second in called '04' is a Giak.

Ok, I think that is all I know for now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I am so tempted to collect them again... but I seriously really can't. I'm on an economy drive for the next year in an attempt to get my life back on track. Superfluous unnecessaries like this will have to be avoided. :-(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, well, you are closer now, so I can lend you the darn things :D
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Aarrrghh, my sixth sense is telling me something.......a Helghast? no....Its a pair of mini-lizards with a diamond-prism bazooka!

Honest........page 47 in 'The Cauldron of Fear'. I dont think you get much more outlandish then that!

Hhhmmm, if I can afford it I'll probably order a copy! I look forward to finding out new and exciting ways to suddenly die and then start the whole adventure over again :evil:
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, apart from the the first book (and the last four) the rest don't have more sectiosn to the main story, they have mini-adventures tied to the main story instead!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoa!!! I see first two books are available!

And for a mesaly £300, I can pre-order the entire series of collector's editions direct from Mongoose. Almost tempted.

Almost...

While the new artwork looks good, I'm actually still pretty nostalgic towards and fond of Gary Chalks original covers. And why have they changed the colour of the new lone wolf logo between books one and two? I *hate* that kind of inconsistency!!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can sent you a copy of book 1 collectros edition if you liek to judge - there was a snafu with the first printing, and the binding was too tight and the printing squinted :( So I got new copy, and have a duff old copy spare!

Amazingly, I haven't actually read through properly the first two books yet more than skimmign them. The firts book is substancially reworked, most people seem to liek the changes, i'm really not sure at all hence not properly readign through the firts one yet

The second one has no more than editing changes, buuuuuut has a whole new mini-adventure starring Lord Ryhgar set before the loen wolf series - this sort of bonus adventure will be in each new book after the first

Like you, I am nostalgic for the old art. I'm sure new readers will liek the new art, there is nothign wrong with it, it's just Gary Chalk'swork defined the world back i nthe day for me, and the new art just seems generic fantasy to me (though it probably isn't)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Been checking these out again. Amazon has details of up to book 6, in paperback... but! I thought the whole point of these was to produce something of exceptional quality? Check out the cover of book 5, it's f*cking awful!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHADOW-SAND-Lon ... 906103267/

In fact, I think all the covers have been pretty dull so far. How does the internal illustration fare?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, the last two covers are placeholders, amazon just need stuff that early, so it's actualyl stolen art from another book series

The internal art is different, when I land back in basingstoke I will link back to the new artist

The illustrations are ok, growing up with GC you will probably not like them same as me, but they are valid art and have a mood and style, just not one we will have grown up with so get into

The amazon versions are paperbacks (due to a small hitch not available yet)., meanwhile the CE versions (Hardbacks) are available from mongoose directly only

There were a few small teething problems in two of the three books, but to their credit mongoose have at least been as fast as they can be for such a tiny firm in dealign with them, so although there have been complaints they have been dealt with, and the binding on the books is good now, and anything gets dealt with quickly complaint wise

Anyway, in hotel, will speak better when back home :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=32187

Fordy near the ottom used to work for mongoose until a few months ago, so his unoffical opinion is pretty offical i reckon :D

that forum has lot of stuff on all the LW mongoose published stuff
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Phew! While I still haven't made up my mind if I'll buy these new versions, it's good to know. Thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There's an 'official' preliminary version of SotS, which has Haakon on the cover. Actually looking like the very original GC version, but, it's an outside looking fight, so not sure

Of cours,e if you can find it, feel free to add your voice to that thread! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've just spent the evening downloading all the PDFs from project Aon (didn't know they were there!) and got very excited reading the stuff about the new LW game Ksatria are developing. (Bit worried about Joe though -- he looked very odd in the pics!)

I really will need to buy a new computer soon. I haven't played anything for ages and all the new games I want to play won't run on my current machine.

Feeling nostalgic for LW again. Not sure I should have sold all that stuff.... :-(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Awwwww, you did keep stuff back though, and anything I bought from you is still here if you ever want it back!

JD did have a liver operation ages ago, so if the pictures were from that time it would explain why, if they were from more recently, I'm not sure

I believe new stuff got released recently (screen caps, etc) - but I assume those would be the ones you saw?
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books
Cool resource for ideas, if not fun!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Um, yeah, we know... sorry, did I miss something?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I don't think Ian quite noticed you mentioned the same link only two posts before him. ;) Though it's good to have the actual link in the thread for those who may wonder :P
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:Awwwww, you did keep stuff back though, and anything I bought from you is still here if you ever want it back!
Did I sell you my Greystar books? I don't know if they are in storage or if someone else won them on eBay.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, I missed the greystar books sadly...I think they did get sold though
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just spotted somebody selling "Sejanoz" on eBay, but I think he's deluded. A £50 strating price for an ex-library book, stamped and written in with some damage! Still, I bet there's someone out there with more money than sense!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Senjoz is very, very rare... so yeah., for the text alone then someone would pay £50. The last one i heard of went for like £130!