Your personal "Games of the decade(s)"?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Your personal "Games of the decade(s)"?

Post by Trantor »

As 2010 closes in, another decade has passed, and the years won't start with "200" anymore. What has been your favourite game of the past decade? And for good measure, what has been your favourite game of the decades before? Let me start:

The 80's: Dungeon Master
Ok, this comes as no surprise. This game is the reason why we are all here. I have written numerous times how much I love DM and how those very first minutes in the dungeon burned themselves into my brain. I still consider it the best game ever made, and I don't think I will ever change my mind again.

The 90's: Doom
There was a time in the mid-90s when the only game I would play at all was Doom - and that time lasted several months. The graphics were unreal, the monsters and weapons so brilliantly designed. And then there was Deathmatch. I spent weekend after weekend meeting with friends and doing nothing else but playing Doom. I have never played any other FPS that came close to the experience of Doom, and the original still plays as brilliant as ever.

The 2000's: Resident Evil 4
In a time when I thought that games couldn't totally immerse me anymore, when I thought I had seen everything there is to see in games, Resident Evil 4 made me feel 12 years old again. I love the series since the beginning, but thought it had lost a lot of its appeal. The complete overhaul the series experienced in part 4 was long overdue. And after many years, I felt enchanted by a game once again. Everything about it just felt so right, so perfect. It was the only game in the past ten years that I have completed more than once, because going through it again and again was just as much fun as the first time.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Your personal "Games of the decade(s)"?

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't played any new games for over 2 years! And the ones I did play in the 2000s haven't been that great to be honest, so I'm not even sure I can answer the question very well. I guess the one that I enjoyed the most was Half Life 2.

For the 80s, I'd agree with Dungeon Master, and for the 90s it's a close call between the original Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem 3D Multiplayer. Oh, actually, I think Thief probably beats both of those, with the original Half Life in second place. TR would be 3rd then and DN3D fourth.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

80's:
Dungeon Master.

late 90's to the end of the 2000:
Blood, Stonekeep, Dungeon Keeper 2, Diablo I - II, Might and Magic III - X, Heroes of Might and Magic II - III, Final Fantasy V - XII (including the singing girls in X-2).

Now?
I have been stuck Ninja Kiwi's webpage playing the "Bloons Tower Defense" series, extremly addicting. (Maybe a Dungeon Master tower defence flash game would be a fun twist for us DM fans ;))
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

game of the XXth century: DUNGEON MASTER serie, DOOM serie and CIVILIZATION serie!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

80s - Bard's Tale, then DM & CSB of course.
I also loved the M&M-series, but in the last versions they had a lot of bugs in their scripts, spent a lot of time to fix those as I did with the civilization-serie.
Railroad tycoon was also fine. Wizardry series, EOB - but wasn't that all already 90s?

Most time I spent on John Carmack's sources of Heretic and Hexen. I loved those, as I hated Doom and Quake.
Got some old screenshots of my hires/truecolor-version of Heretic and Hexen:
Heretic
Hexen - the add-on
Monsters,items,weapons,sky and things like the numbers have been left in original, just the environment is much finer, the more far away, the better. If someone has the old data-files and wants to play it again, I would upload the exes.

90s also Heroes of M&M (collected lots of maps!), and Unreal of course too. (Stopped that with UT, wasn't for me!) The graphics engine was a milestone. Played with that engine Wheels of time and Undying - good too!

Haven't played too much modern stuff from 00, because my computers weren't ready for them and there was nothing really making me save money for it - played browser games. Dungeon siege was fine - still have to play Morrowind. Think that's the max what my computer can make now ;)
Last edited by Bit on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

me the two plays which have to mark my life of player more are Dungeon master and final fantasy 7 :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

80's (i.e. before 3D) : Speedball 2.
90's : FPS revelation : especially Duke Nukem, Unreal, Quake 2 and Half Life.
2000 : Oblivion and UT/HL sequels, Severance Blade of Darkness.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, let me see...what games did I play a lot...actually, I'm not sure of the years so I'll just list them in vague order that I think I played them - early ones were on the Atari, then others were on the PC and since I don't remember when I played them, just that it was ages ago, I can't really giev a year.

Atari stuff (in n particular order)
Dungeon Master of course, I suppose :D
Frontier: Elite II (which I'll include because I must have liked it a lot since I downloaded it maybe a year ago and played it lots on DOSBox, great stuff :D)
Erm...Llamatron - another one that I got on DOSBox a while back
Various Bitmap Brothers games - I remember liking Magic Pockets a lot. And Speedball 2.
Space Crusade (which I later got on PC as well).

PC stuff (again, in no particular order)
Stonekeep
Everquest (was on it for about four years)
Diablo II (been back to it several times over the years, first started playing this one early 2001, immediately prior to first entering the world of EQ)
Morrowind (personally I prefer it to Oblivion, though that was quite cool too)
Might and Magic VI (of the three I've played, VI, VII, and VIII, this was my favourite by far :D)
Heroes of Might and Magic III (been back to it repeatedly, like Diablo II, over the years. Reinstalled it yet again and played a random map or two last night, in fact)
Audiosurf (got this one about a year or so ago - fantastic game, well worth the fiver it cost to buy it...and a game where the tagline is actually completely accurate - "Ride your music" :D)
Spore (in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, I have a certain love for creating things so this sort of automatically falls into the category of Bloody Fantastic, even if only for the creators ;))

Actually, maybe I should stop there before I just end up listing all the games I basically "liked and played quite a lot", like Cybernetics (Atari sideway-scrolling shoty-spaceship game thing which I remember playing lots), Titan Quest, the Thief games (omg new underwear please I've just been heard by a Hammer Haunt :eek:), the Oddworld games, and umm...well, loads more ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Just a technical note:

The first decade of the 21th century started on January 1, 2001, and will end on December 31, 2010 - so we have a whole year for this discussion! It's because there was no year 0 A.D. - the calendar jumps from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D., so the first decade was from January 1, 1 A.D. to December 31, 10 A.D. If you don't believe, count it on you fingers or look at Wikipedia! :wink:

Now, about my list of games. It's very simple:

70's: Zork series (first Zork was released in 1980, so it's still 70's...)
80's: DM, obviously
90's: Monkey Island II (I was in 1990, so still in 80's technically..., but II was in 1992)
00's: more or less nothing - I haven't played any modern games since ca 1995, except Fallout I and II (liked it), Diablo I and II (didn't like it) and Heroes of M and M I, II and III (liked it) - gosh I haven't played any new game for almost 10 years!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

80s: Dungeon Master
Honourable mentions: Chaos Strikes Back, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Carrier Command.

90s: Baldur's Gate
Honourable mentions: Speedball 2, Legend (a.k.a. Four Crystals of Trazere), Elite II (I only played this on my friends Amiga, but I think I will download it and play it again soon), Syndicate, Syndicate Wars, Populas II.

00s: Neverwinter Nights
Honourable mentions: Neverwinternights 2, Baldur's Gate 2, X-2, Resident Evil 4.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Jan wrote:Just a technical note:

The first decade of the 21th century started on January 1, 2001, and will end on December 31, 2010 - so we have a whole year for this discussion! It's because there was no year 0 A.D. - the calendar jumps from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D., so the first decade was from January 1, 1 A.D. to December 31, 10 A.D. If you don't believe, count it on you fingers or look at Wikipedia! :wink:
Well, doesn't matter how techincally corret you are, the will of the poeple, etc was that the year 2000 was so significant that everyone had their new millenium celebrations in the year 2000. Hence, they established that 2000 - 2009 was the first decade, and hence everything else will be similar for at least a generation (2010 - 2019 will be the next decade, etc). I imagine that 2020 is such a non-event that everyone will probably slip back to 2021-2030 being the third decade, etc. Or it will jsut be conventional wisdom that the decades now follow logical numbering if the tens instead of the original AD 1 numbering

Wikipaedia is written by a small miniroty of people who want to be correct and show it off, instead of by the vast majoriy of people who actually decided this on masse. Compared to some alterations of the calander we had (including the one that renumberd the BC and AD, was that...there we go, apparently AD 525...hmm, thought it was earlier...) it's not that big a shift in numbering!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

If you forgot to include the zero when you started counting, it doesn't mean suddenly that the 10 first numbers are 1... 10! It only means that you've made a mistake.
For me the first decade had 9 years and the year 0 never existed: errors, not a coherent system to be revendicated.
The only true thing you can say about the year 2000, for instance, is that only 1999 were elapsed since 1 AD, but 2000 since -1AD...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He he, I nearly answered Jan's point but then decided against it, knowing there are cleverer people here...
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, I didn't want to bring this OT... I just want to make two last points and I will shut up.

1. I'm not talking about Wikipedia, I'm talking about sience - and you can believe me, I studied it! We had a whole year devoted to calendars, movements of Sun, Earth, changing seasons, history of cosmography etc. Very interesting, by the way.

2. A majority of people doesn't have to be right - actually, the majority is rarely right.

But I don't want to impose THE TRUTH on you, LOL, because anything goes in the postmodern World - and I will shut up now, don't worry about me. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think we were just pointing out an arbitrary numbering system has been arbitrarily shifted from it's arbitrary previous designation and anything can go really. There's not really a right and wrong in that case, it boils down to how it gets used. It's just like how language is being used and abused now, the edges are being rubbed off and accepted on a number of niche grammar points. Grammar points that were themselves probably contradicting the wisdom of the previous mode of speech.

Anyway, in conclusion yes, games are good :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:Anyway, in conclusion yes, games are good :D
Yes, Minister! :D
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

80s: Dungeon Master
90s: Civilization
00s: World of Warcraft
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

80s - Dungeon Master. Big surprise!

90s - Super Mario World. The 90s were a pretty great decade for favourites, but forced to choose one I'll go for the best platform game ever made.

00s - Phantasy Star Online. The most perfect, concise and infinitely repeatable online game I've ever played. Even snippets of the soundtrack fill me with warm memories.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

80s: Dungeon Master, followed closely by Technos Samurai and Ys.
90s: Blood, followed closely by Total Annihilation Kingdoms.
00s: Whacked
I can't have a favorite without a least favorite to go along with it. Least favorite games...
80s: E.T. for the Atari 2600
90s: Resident Evil 2. Must be easier to play on any system or computer other than Nintendo 64. But on the 64, controls are terrible. Turned what looked like a good game into an unenjoyable game. Too bad.
00s: Left 4 Dead 2. How Valve can fail so hard on a sequel when the first one was good is beyond me. This is currently my least favorite game of all time.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Early 80s -> Starquake - Atic Atac
In my opinion the best and more playable 8Bit games ever.

80s - 90s -> Dungeon Master
Simply NO OTHER GAME gave me that very same feeling of wonder, immersion and need to play that DM gave me. I passed almost 10 years of my life dreaming that game and feeling sometimes the NEED to play it. That inclueds all the masterpieces that seen the light on Amiga (including Superfrog, Leander, Alien Breed 3D 2, Populous 2) or on PC (Warcraft 2, Diablo, Diablo II, Quake II)

Early 2000s -> Baldur's Gate 1
I know, that game is from late 90s, but I played it a bit late. It was the first PC game to attract me so much, capable to scratch the dominating position Dungeon Master had in my personal videogames chart.
Since then other games managed to impress me that much and namely they are "The Witcher", "Legend of Zelda: Windwaker", "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess", "Resident Evil 4 Wii edition" and "Batman Arkham Asylum". I can't really pick one from this list as I enjoyed them the same and all of them had memorable moments. So I'll let Baldur's Gate to be the one of the early 2000s. If you want a proper 2000s game to be named, I'd say it's a close one between Twilight Princess, Witcher and Arkham Asylum, but just because I'm forced to choose i'll pick Twilight Princess: the Wii's control scheme made it unique.

2010s -> Okami Wii
Yes, again Okami Wii is from the previous decade, but I'm playing it right now and it is standing up quite well, almost on par with Twilight Princess.
Don't let a closed door stop you
Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

I had forgotten about Starquake, but now that it's mentioned I remember that I played many hours. Yes, that definitely was a very well made game :)

Dungeon Master left me very impressed. Chaos Strikes Back a bit less. I don't know why, but I still think Dungeon Master had the better game design. if someone would let me choose which to play, I'd want to play DM again, not CSB. For the time Dungeon Master it was excellent in presentation as well as depth of the game. Till today no game gave me that immersion that Dungeon Master did.

Doom, yes, but also Duke3D ... I cannot really name a leader, but I liked the early FPS. It's been about as new a graphical step as DM was when it was new, just now very much more action loaded, but also with less depth. I dropped out of the FPS genre after Doom II though, somehow the later FPS I didn't really like anymore.

From 95 or so, I generally played much less games as it seems. I want to mention Homeworld, though, an epic space strategy game.

In the last decade I didn't play much, but Diablo and Diablo II deserve a mention there, I think, along with Moria and Angband, two traditional roguelike games.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

80's... Dungeon Master (Obviously), The Bard's Tale series, Elite, Jet Set Willy (I'm still enormously proud to say i completed it), Starquake (Great to hear it get an honourable mention from other members), Heavy on the Magick, Dun Darach, Fairlight, Knight Lore/Alien 8 (virtually the same game), Spellbound/Knight Tyme/Stormbringer (Magic Knight series), Head over Heels, Populous, Bloodwych, Millenium 2.2, Starglider 2, Virus.

90's... Frontier, Deuteros, Eye of the Beholder, Speedball 2, Harlequin, The Secret of Monkey Island, The Settlers, Alien Breed, Another World, Flashback, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate, Lemmings, Command & Conquer, Outpost, Quake 1&2, Total Annihilation, Civilisation 1&2, Half Life, Blood 2 (Remember that?).

00's... Errrm, i'm sure there has been a veritable shedfull of good games in the last decade. I just have not had the time or the inclination to play them. I'll throw in GTA San Andreas for the enormous fun factor.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I used to play Civilization a lot.. then a second part.. then third.. fantastic game! But I usually finished playing when opposite civ got developed nukes. I was too scared to be bombed to play ;) Even though I don`t like new games, I often play Civ3.

And DM/CSB of course. The greastest game of all time.

Oh, and I remember my first FPS, that I played on Amiga - Alien Breed 3D. It was very good, loved it. I was impressed with the second part too (The Killing Grounds), but it run so bad, that I could barely play it on A1200. I still don`t know how I could play it this way. It was developed for A4000! Lots of guns. AB3D2TKG is playable on WinUAE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pYAZu9OhqA

Speaking of non 3D Alien Breed.. It is unforgettable too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrhOePgThQ4
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

80's - Gradius
R-Type
Double Dragon
Dungeon Master

90's - Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Doom
Quake 2
Tomb Raider
Half Life

2000's - Halo
Call of duty:Modern Warfare
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Fallout 3
Devil may cry
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.