Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V)

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Thorham
Apprentice

Re: Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V)

Post by Thorham »

I find mods to be essential for Skyrim. First there are the unofficial patches, which fix many issues. Then there's SkyUi which changes the GUI from a console GUI to a proper PC GUI. And of course HiAlgo boost, which is a great little program that can vastly enhance performance of the game on low end machines such as mine. There are also lower resolution texture MODs that help improve performance.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I never bothered with a companion in Skyrim - all they'd do is run in and agro everything and get in the way when my preferred method of killing stuff was for them never to see me. I had maxed Sneak and got all the Perks and stuff, plus had a full set of Sneaky-Bastard-related armour to kill stuff quicker that way. End result - bows did x3 damage when sneak attacking, one-handed weapons (except daggers) did x12 damage, daggers did x30 damage. Dual-wielding daggers and sneaking right up behind someone and backstabbing them with a flurry (dual-wielding's "power attack", when you hold both mouse buttons at once - in this case it results in your slashing quickly with one hand, then the other, then the first again), if done right, could result in a completely unsurvivable amount of damage for the recipient. Of course, a single hit from a backstab by that point was enough to insta-kill pretty much everything anyway, but still... ;)
On the subject of horses, I did buy one, but it bugged somehow. I'd left my horsey on the bank near Riften to do a quest on a nearby island but when I got back my horse had gone - I found him in the nearby Riften Stables, no longer mine but apparently considered their property. Bought another one near Whiterun and kept that until I got a really epic-looking one as a quest reward. As a result of having a horse, I have never actually climbed the seven thousand steps (or however many it is) to the Greybeards' place - I've always scaled the mountainside directly on my mighty steed ;). One thing to be cautious of, though, when scaling very steep hills/mountains on a horse, is to make sure you are in walk mode when descending, otherwise you overshoot and fall a rather long way.
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

I didn't bother with companions either, or a horse. Thought it much better just me and big wide world or the deep dark dungeons. (But always secretly harboured a wish for a four person party... just saying...:) )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Horses are good for faster travel and for navigating steep hills...also for outrunning those annoying bandits who may pester you when you're trying to get somewhere and vastly outlevel them so they're just in your way. Horses are annoying if you dismount too close to combat, as they'll go completely nuts and start chasing whatver it is you're fighting...even if it's something like, you know, a dragon. So you always have to park some way away if you know you're gonna be approaching an outside Word Wall or a bandit camp or something. The world is so small it only takes a couple of minutes to ride pretty much anywhere (unless it's over in the Reach - the western side of the map where Markarth is situated, in which case it's a complete arse to get to because of all the ravines and craggy bits and stuff)., or even less if it's in the central plains area of the map (can't remember the name of the actual region but it's certainly the one I spent the most time in, mainly because Whiterun was my usual city of choice to go and visit the merchants and stuff) because well, it's pretty flat.
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

A korean Skyrim killer ? but online.
Gameplay trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVz2OENd4QQ
Character creation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP4L1vHfpk
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Looks cool! Although they only showed hack-and-slash in the video, I wonder how the rest will be. The webpage is overloaded atm, it must be getting a lot of attention.

Though I still have so much to do in Skyrim (it is huge). I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I was worried it would be open world, but a bit cold and soulless. Not the case!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I dunno about the "cold" part, it being Skyrim ;).
It's certainly full of stuff, yeah...I dunno how many dungeons it has compared to Morrowind but they're all crammed into a much smaller space so I suppose that makes the world feel like it's got more in it. And if you have a horse, it's all much easier to get to as well ;).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

This Black Desert could really fill the big emptyness that happens since Skyrim.
Good that the asian world still loves RPGs - the Wizardry serie surely did a lot for this.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Looks quite promising, will follow this one. A bit hard going on the eyes, camera motion and blurring is a bit ott.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

linflas wrote:A korean Skyrim killer ? but online.
Gameplay trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVz2OENd4QQ
Character creation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP4L1vHfpk
Dat character creation :shock: