Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V)

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V)

Post by Ameena »

Rofl that Space Core stuff is brilliant :D. And that helm looks very silly yet so cool at the same time :D. It's reminded me of a vid that was linked to me last night...not related to Skyrim but rather Portal 2... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZIVmKOdrBk
But anyway, to get back onto the subject...yeah that is probably the most annoying thing about Skyrim - having to scroll through everything like that. Fortunately I don't tend to carry around too much stuff so it's okay. Would be nice if merchants had more cash so they could actually buy all my crap in one go (I have the Speech perk that lets me sell anything to any merchant, though I don't think it works for stolen items - I think the non-dodgy merchants still won't buy those, but still, this Perk is a useful one :)), but then I had that problem in Morrowind as well. But at least I had Creeper and the Mudcrab to sell stuff to then ;).
I have fun sneaking through dungeons and pewing/stabbing stuff to death before it even notices I'm there, though my levelling has slowed down a lot since I maxed my Sneak skill, some time ago. I think I'm level 31 now, maybe 32.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I can see I'm going to need a *loooooooong* time to get into this. It's a bit boring being level 4 at the moment, can't wait until I'm a bit more powerful!

And what's up with stealing!? There was absolutely no-one around when I tried stealing something from a desk in Whiterun... and suddenly a guard comes running from some other level miles away to arrest me. WTF? Are they "all seeing" or something? That's just stupid, and unfair. Why put in a mechanic that immediately penalises an inquisitive player?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno, I've never stolen anything without being in Sneak mode...just in case. Because sometimes there's a guard really close by that I just totally failed to notice, until I hit Sneak mode and think "Hmm, what can see me?". But I can practically run into someone in a tunnel (by accident :P) and not get seen - that happened to me the other day, there was a witch in a black robe leaning against a wall in a tunnel - I nearly ran straight into her before I noticed...she didn't even suspect a thing so that was a nice easy kill :). Doing x30 damage on a backstab when my dagger has a base damage of, I think, 15, is pretty handy, you see :twisted:.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, right, so I should have been in sneak mode. Got it. Still seems silly though -- there was no-one in the room and no-one could see me!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

in sneak mode, the hud tells you if you're really hidden or not. or maybe, you unlocked the house door not in sneak mode too and the soldier saw you lock picking..
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, it was in the big hall at Whiterun. I was out of the eyeline of any of the guards. Indeed, the guard that came running was clearly running from a hidden point way beyond where he would have been able to see me. It's just stupid to have a mechanic like this that means you get caught if you're not in sneak mode.

In Thief (1998!), you could steal whatever you wanted whether you were in sneak mode or not -- you'd only get caught if someone actually saw you, or you made a noise. How can a game 14 years later not even model this realistically when it was solved so long ago!?

It's stupid details like this that let down these games.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i second you on this : I think I've been used to these weird behaviours since Morrowind...
It's the same for murders. If you kill someone in a house, even very quickly, even when your victim was sleeping and hadn't cried yet, a guard will enter a few seconds later and arrest you. If it is quest related, like ... you'll see ... and there are witnesses, but you don't get arrested !
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

remember.. chickens are tattle tales.. chickens can be a witness to murder, and well killing a chicken is also seen as murder.. they are sacred after all :P So, watch out one of them doesn't see you.

this is the link bethesda put on their FB page
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/08/the-b ... ds/#Useful

for steam, including that portal mod.

Anyway, yes, the comment about how it's exciting to see people in their bedroom can produce that kind of work but it's people in their bedroom not in a studio because no one has hired them.. :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, those bloody chickens! I toasted one with a fireball before I knew anything about over zealous guards -- and a guard came out of nowhere and hauled me off to jail! It's just a frickin' chicken!

Anyway... how do i cure diseases? I got some sort of bone breaking disease from a bear, and everyone kept saying I looked unwell. I eventually found some random guy woandering about who cured me, but how would I consistently cure a disease? Do I have to alchemise something?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

cure disease is through potions.. the guy in riverwood trader should have a potion for it.. otherwise there's a potion maker in whiterun who specializes in cures.. she'll have one.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can also cure diseases at any shrine - Talos, Kyraneth, Dibella, etc. You can sometimes find shrines out in the wilderness (certainly Talos shrines - you can recognise them by the statue). There's one in Whiterun, near the Gildergreen (the massive big tree) where that preacher bloke is spouting his proclamations. The shrine itself is a stone thingy in front of the statue that looks a bit like an axe. Any place with a temple should also have a shrine in the temple. Activating a shrine removes all diseases and gives you a blessing (eg Blessing of Talos), which is a temporary buff that does something depending on which god it is - Blessing of Talos makes your Shouts recharge 20% faster...think it lasts a few game-hours. You can only have one blessing active at a time - the new one will replace the old.
Also, yes, you can use potions ;). You can brew them yourself with Alchemy (never tried it myself), or find them lying around or buy them from an appropriate merchant. I've been keeping some potions just in case (ones I've found lying around in dungeons etc), but haven't had to use one yet since I can normally get to a shrine before too long. I don't tend to get diseased that often though, really, since most mobs don't get much of a chance to even notice me, let alone hit me :twisted:.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

normally I would paste this with the song in my head additions.. but since it's skyrim related..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3MFs7N ... re=related
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Something found by chance : early screens of Arena (Elder Scrolls 1) in beta/demo version. As you can see, it should have been a 4 players team outdoor game, like Ishar but with uglier graphics.

Image Image Image

Back to Skyrim, I don't know if you use lots of mods but here are a some must-haves I cannot play without :
- HD textures DLC fix : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8236
- Sounds of Skyrim The Wilds : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10886
- Sounds of Skyrim The Dungeons : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8601
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

linflas wrote:As you can see
I can't see anything because "bandwith is expensive, hotlinking is banned on all of our images." :(
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've played all of 4 hours and haven't gone back to it yet, that was over 2 weeks ago. Pretty telling!

EDIT: Actually, it's not telling at all. I simply have no spare time, am very busy with job applications and interviews :-)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@Jan : oops.. here's the original forum link : http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16245

@Gambit : 4 hours is pretty short, I've reached something like 170 hours :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Exactly. I don't have the time for it right now :-(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, it's something to go back to when you have time, I suppose :). I'm currently on 125 hours and have still only done the first couple of parts of the Main Quest. I finished both the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood main quest lines a few days ago but have been busy with other stuff so haven't got back to it since then. Next I'll be off to join the Companions (Warrior guild) and work my way through that, then I'll do the Mage Guild. Then that's it, other than the Imperials/Stormcloaks, which I'm not sure about joining yet - if I do I'll probably take the Imps, 'cause the Stormcloak leader is a total racist bastard so sod him ;). That's it, though, for joinable factions in Skyrim - Morrowind had maybe double that number. Still, there's plenty of places I've not explored yet, Shouts to find, and other stuff that needs doing. The world may be relatively tiny, but there's certainly a lot crammed into that small space!
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

So, over two years later than I intended, I finally got Skyrim! Currently I am at level 11, and liking it so far. I love the open-world aspect but it does come at the cost of characterization. A real trade-off between the freedom of Skyrim or the tight storyline and varied characters of a typical BioWare game.

The story and history are interesting, I still have not decided what side I am on with respect to the war. I like the leveling up system. Playing as a mage and there is a reasonable choice of spells, but I am not a fan of actually changing between them, it is a bit of a faf. Not as good as a typical D&D spell system, and certainly nothing near DM. I do like the enchanting/alchemy type stuff (at least in theory - I have not been able to make anything worth making yet).
Ameena wrote:The world may be relatively tiny
Really? I guess I did not play any other Elder Scrolls games, but it seems pretty big to me!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The Elder Scrolls series isn't by Bioware, it's by Bethesda...unless you were just making a comparison and are already aware of that ;).
Regarding the war, that was the only faction I didn't join - you can only join one side, of course, and I decided I didn't like either of them. Ulfric Stormcloak is rather xenophobic and thinks that only Nords should live in Skyrim and everyone else should bugger off. The Imperials are basically under the thumb of the Thalmor, a faction of elves (I only ever seem to see Altmer, not sure if any Bosmer are among them, and don't recall ever seeing a Dunmer) who think that they are superior to everyone and thus should be in charge of everything - the only reason they didn't totally wipe out the Imperials in some war they had was because of a treaty, the White-Gold Concordat, which as far as I can remember basically says that the Imperials won't get wiped out as long as they do what the Thalmor say. The Thalmor also believe that one of the Nine Divines, Talos, shouldn't be worshipped as a god because he was just a normal bloke and nothing special, thus anyone "caught" worshipping him is bad and gets erm...killed or shipped off somewhere, or something.
Spells aren't really something I use in the Elder Scrolls games in general. I stick to a bow and a one-hander (or dual-wielding in the case of Skyrim). I use my standard Sneaky Bastard tactics and most enemies in Skyrim don't even see me, even if it takes multiple hits to kill them (which it often does in the case of arrows, but as I'm hiding far enough away they forget about me before they find me so I just shoot them again). The nearest I get to regularly using spells is the Dragon Shouts, of which I just stick to good old Unrelenting Force - once you get all three Words of that ("Fus Ro Dah!"), it is most entertaining using it on certain enemies - I once sneaked up on a bandit who was standing atop one of the towers of a small fort. Shouted at her and she flleeewwww through the air, over the wall, down and down off the cliff the fort was standing on - I watched the red dot moving on my map for quite some time as she completed her descent, and then it disappeared because um, that was quite a long way down :twisted:. Watch out, though - Draugr Deathlords (and higher iterations) have the same Shout and they can and will use it on you if you're not careful.
Regarding world size, yes, Skyrim is pretty tiny compared to Morrowind, and miniscule compared to Daggerfall. It's about the same size as Oblivion. Of the five games (I've played all five), Morrowind is my favourite - I like the world size and the interface much more than those of Skyrim, plus there are loads more guilds to join (you can only join, what, about five of them in Skyrim, as opposed to about ten or so in Morrowind) and thus questlines to complete. You can get the Game of the Year edition (base game plus both expansions, Tribunal and Bloodmoon) on Steam. If you ever start playing that and have any questions, let me know ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, I meant that Bioware games (well scripted storylines, engaging characters, but sometimes linear) are different to Bethesd games (less emphasis on plot, but high degree of freedom). Although I only have played Fallout 3 and now Skyrim from Bethesda.

As for the war, that is my problem two - I don't like either side. I will probably only get involved if I have to. But thanks for the tip, I will check out Morrowind when I have gone through enough of Skyrim. Of course it might be another two years before I get around to it...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You never have to join any faction in any Elder Scrolls game. Well, if you want to complete the Main Quest, you normally end up part of a faction as part of that, but said faction is (at least in Morrowind and as far as I can remember, Skyrim too) separate from any other so won't interfere with completing any other faction's quests. I completed Skyrim's Main Quest without getting involved with either the Imps or the Stormcloaks. I completed the other factions as well - Mages, Fighters (Companions), Thieves, Dark Brotherhood...that's it, I think. Morrowind has the Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Imperial Cult, Imperial Legion, Tribunal Temple, Morag Tong, any of the three Great Houses (you can only join one and they each basically equate to another Fighter/Thief/Mage guild), Blades (part of the Main Quest), about three different Vampire Clans (though I've never bothered with Vampirism in any of the games, but I think you can only join one Vampire Clan anyway), and the East Empire Company (part of Bloodmoon expansion). I think that's it.
Another cool thing I like about Morrowind is...well, how possible it is to become obscenely overpowered and more or less invincible (eventually) without cheating at all since it's all part of the game mechanics (and knowing how to use them). I also know where to get a load of erm...free stuff...right from the beginning of the game, though the trip to the necessary locationcan be pretty dangerous and you might die and need to reload a few times before you manage to get there. And when you do, you need some patience and may need to reload a few more times if people happen to notice you helping yourself to the erm...free stuff ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Will definitely check out Morrowind at some time, sounds good. Had a look on-line, seems worth a play (graphics are outdated, but then again we are on a forum for a game form a 16 bit machine, so that won't be a problem).

One thing I have got to like about Skyrim is that you can develop any skills by practice, a bit like DM in that regard. I can play a mage, but still sneak up on people and also open locks. The more I play the more the game grows on me.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, all the Elder Scrolls games are like that (from what I remember of Arena and Daggerfall anyway - it's possible that aspect of the game changed when Morrowind came out but I can't remember exactly). In Skyrim, I don't think you have Major and Minor skills, do you, you just have all your skills. And you don't nee to sleep to level up - my character in Skyrim has only ever slept once, for one hour, and only because it was necessary to cause a certain quest to kick off.
In Morrowind, you have every skill from the start (as you do in Oblivion/Skyrim), but five of them are Major skills (and gain a bonus to the speed at which they level up) while five are Minor (levelling up at the normal rate), while everything else counts as Miscellaneous (and levels slightly slower than the Major and Minor skills). Skills level up as you practice them (or spend money to increase them at a trainer...though if you know your Spellmaking, there's a way to do it for practically nothing ;)), and when you have achieved ten skill-ups in any of your Major/Minor skills (ten in one skill, five in two different ones, two in five different ones, it doesn't matter as long as there have been ten skill-ups among any of those ten skills), you are able to level up, which you need to do by sleeping (one hour is enough). When you have slept, you will get the level-up window, which gives you three points to spend in increasing your stats (Str, Int, etc). Stats which govern the skills you raised in achieving this level-up will get a bonus if you spend a point in them (so if a lot of your skill-ups came through using the Sneak skill, which is goverened by Agility, you'll find that spending one of the level-up points in Agility will actually increase the stat by anywhere up to five points, instead of just one). You have to spend your three points in three different stats.
Because of the way levelling works, short of using a console command to reset your skills to lower levels, your level cap is limited by the levels of your Major and Minor skills - once all ten of those are maxed out at 100, you can't level up any more. So while every race starts with a bonus to various skills, technically you're better off picking Majors and Minors from stuff that doesn't get a bonus and thus starts lower. Doesn't stop me playing a Khajiit Sneaky Bastard every time, though ;).
I also like the UI for Morrowind much better than the later games - I like the way the inventory is laid out and unlike Skyrim it doesn't have those (in my opinion) bloody annoying quest marker things plonked everywhere whenever you select a quest (one of the first things I did when starting the game was to turn off the ones that actually float in the air in the game world, and will usually hide the map ones too). In Morrowind, you have a journal which updates automatically when you're given a quest (or when a quest updates with new info). If you're told to find an NPC you'll be told the name of the location (if the NPC giving the quest knows it) where they can be found and given directions on how to get there. You need to either remember the directions or look them up in your journal (which keeps a track of dialogue as well - note that all dialogue in Morrowind is text-only, apart from the random comments you get from people when you walk near them or when fighting them).
Also, you can just find Daedric stuff and don't need to craft it. You can't create items in Morrowind like you can in Skyrim - there is an Armourer skill but it's for repairing stuff...and I don't bother using it 'cause I just pay a merchant to fix it for me (not all merchants can repair stuff - you usually need to find a blacksmith or whatever) :D.
Whee, getting carried away again, lol.
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Ameena, just on the annoyances of Skyrim's UI, if you have the pc version there are a few excellent mods to improve all of those issues. In fact if you have a little time there are a few more to greatly overhaul the entire skyrim experience (graphics, sound, mechanics, etc) that make it significantly better than the out of the box version
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It's a great thing that Oblivion as well as Skyrim are in fact nothing else but players with the ability to overload almost everything (so, after all, just engines with a basic frontend included). Then again, modding requires a lot of knowledge, and not all 'secrets' are revealed - which leads to pretty unstable mods, especially when some are used, and usually this is even needed. In Oblivion, I finally ended back in the official things, in Skyrim I haven't played that much, but I bet it's even worse there. Still, I collected all informations I could get, just to understand that one needs a lot of other tools and cows' skills to make something that would be worth to start with this.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

True. It can get tricky if you get carried away and load too many mods, and if you're not diligent about cleaning up the ones you discard. And it does require a little care and attention when installing them. But if you limit yourself only to a select few, then the experience is well worth it. The right mod gives you the 'that's how they should have made it!' feeling. The menu, HUD and navigation are among the easier to install with the biggest gain and improvement to the experience. You'll wonder why the hell they didn't make it like that in the first place...! :D At least I did.
Last edited by ebeneezergude on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Well, and those that avoid friendly fire and this one which allows to manage your compagnons and make them able to ride seems pretty fine too.
In Oblivion I liked the additional markers and the 'where's my horse'-thingy :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've only played Oblivion through once so can't fully remember everything about it. I do remember that it had horses, same as Skyrim does...Morrowind had no horses but you had various means of getting around quickly (and none of this "you only ned to go to a place once and then you can just click it on the map to insta-teleport there with no explanation behind how taht's possible at all" kind of stuff :P) in the form of Silt Striders, ships, teleporter NPCs in every Mage Guild (can't remember what they're called...you need to be a member of the Guild to use them but that's simple enough), the Mark and Recall spells...and after some messing around with Enchanting, jumping. In fact, by the later stages of the game I don't tend to bother with teleportation and stuff, I just jump everywhere - I can cover the whole of Ald'Ruhn in a single hop :D.
Never messed around with mods - I know there are a lot but I'm not usually a fan of messing with the base version of a game in case I break it or something. I did try a couple of Minecraft mods (after making a duplicate of my Minecraft folder for their use in case I broke the game somehow) but didn't like having to wait for the mod to be updated every time there was a new patch to the main game.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I have not used mods, I like to play the way it was intended, but the HUD could use some tweaking, and I can't see the point of buying a horse if my follower just runs behind me all the time. Might check those ones out.
Ameena wrote:Doesn't stop me playing a Khajiit Sneaky Bastard
Given our D&D sessions I can't say that I am surprised at the class or race :)