New Tomb Raider game, autumn 2012

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

New Tomb Raider game, autumn 2012

Post by Gambit37 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... der/714562

It's a prerendered teaser and clearly superior to gameplay graphics; nevertheless, I think this will be one to watch out for. A total reboot, a new roots story, more realistic, better characters and hopefully a more mature and playable game will come from that. 18 months to go!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: New Tomb Raider game Trailer

Post by Ameena »

Ooooh...looks more like a film trailer than a game trailer. So...they're remaking Lara and her world...I wonder what'll become of that. Looks pretty cool anyway...and no guns! Well, I mean, not in that trailer ;).
Should eat more pies

Re: New Tomb Raider game, autumn 2012

Post by Gambit37 »

This HD gameplay video looks pretty sweet. Actually pretty intense in places, although it does seem a bit limited and "hand-holding". We'll see I guess.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... 8?type=flv

I just wish they would stop putting all that crap on the camera: water spots, lens flares, etc. It might look "cool" but it really takes away from the immersiveness -- I mean, if it's made obvious that you're watching Lara through a camera, it instantly stops you thinking you *are* Lara -- and really *being* the game character is the key to be immersed in the world. I hope that camera post processing stuff is optional and can be switched off.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I think the spots on the camera were a bit annoying - they sort of got in the way. It's possible that the "hand-holding" stuff (where it tells you which button to press) is just a kind of tutorial thing to show you the controls in the early game and is only included in the first level or something. We'll see, I suppose :).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Anyone else remembers the mine scene in First Blood ("Rambo I")? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I like (prefer) the way they portray Laura in the first teaser. Only ever played a little of Tomb Raider I though :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's "LARA", not "Laura". Clearly not paying attention... ;-)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

No, no, no ! it's Laura Croft, i'm pretty sure. [NSFW!]
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Please, Linflas (and others), could you add a little "warning" to images like this? I feel a little bit uncomfortable when I open it in my office not knowing what's in there and there are other people around. Thanks a lot. :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Laura is the Spanish for Lara, me thinks. Trust you to pick that up!

I promise not to post any more Azizi fotos that I find, Jan.

NSFW == Not Safe For Work
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I added the NSFW after Jan pointed it out -- it wasn't there originally.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Odd, I thought admin edits still showed up as edits?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Don't think so? *shrug*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe there's a timing issue to it, if you edit within a grace period? Or if you edit something already edited, the time stamp changes?

Much like the...game...Tomb Raider.... Sorry, can't steer that diversion back on topic!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... der/714562
It's a prerendered teaser and clearly superior to gameplay graphics; nevertheless, I think this will be one to watch out for. A total reboot, a new roots story, more realistic, better characters and hopefully a more mature and playable game will come from that. 18 months to go!
Back on topic. Easy! :-)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

ian_scho wrote:I promise not to post any more Azizi fotos that I find, Jan.
LOL, no, you can, of course, but add a warning to it, please!

And, yes, the "NSFW" hadn't been there originally, it was added later by Gambit. Well, no harm was done, anyway, only my young good-looking attractive female colleague now thinks I'm "weird", to say the least. :wink:

Anyway, back to the topic. What was it? Oh, yes: Laura Palmer. I think she was actually killed by
Spoiler
BOB
, wasn't she?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Stop it! Just stop it!!!!
;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

went looking to see if you added any additional comments to this once played but I couldn't find it in search.. so I'm going to add my two cents..

FREAKING AWESOME

now that said.. there is a fair bit of disturbing content and I'm not a fan of close up gore really.. so there are parts that get in the way of my enjoyment.. however the level design and puzzles are pretty nice.. they are not especially hard, but they do make you work a little to figure them out.. and just in the design layout you can see they've worked in a fair bit of specific mechanics to get it to meet the needs of linear game play. Where you need this tool to do this level which is a very metroid/zelda old school view to gameplay but it works and at least for me, is still enjoyable.

Graphics are great, but I'm stuck on my laptop so I'm not going full bore on it right now.

They story line is engaging and it's filled with lots of little character development sub plots.. giving you more depth the the people she interacts with.. and the various epic cinematic moments which cause you to clench your butt cheeks as you play through the intense action and jumpathon..

I'm not done yet, but I've enjoyed it. Seems to be taking a number of hints from the hit "Uncharted" series.

There are a few things in game which make me stop for a moment and think "really, you couldn't make it more real?" ie some tools that are physically impossible.. or moments when I realize the AI can see through walls .. but overall I've had a good time. Gambit, you've played it? yes?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

now that I've played through the Most recent Tomb Raider game and enjoyed it, since I had time off and you know how steam deals go.. I got the rest of laura croft's romps and started working backwards..

I was initially quite excited to play the next one.. however...

I must say underworld is a buggy hunk of crap so far.. I can't understand how this is the same company.. they must have fired their entire staff and hired new people after this thing.. it's downright ugly in many places, it's slow on my machine, puzzles are totally uninspired, and when I can't put down a bloody block at my feet without either suddenly flying through the air to land on top of it, or sinking to my knees into the ground, the combat is a matter of "how fast can you pull the trigger and move the joystick back and forth...." I'd say there was very LITTLE play testing actually done, or they simply didn't care.. wow.. I'm wondering if it's going to be worth continuing or not :S I've only just moved to the second location and first impressions have NOT been kind.

As Gambit is the officianado.. which of the tomb raiders are the best for me to try to play through? and will underwrold get better or worse the further I go ? :S