Looking for something like Severance Blade of Darkness

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Looking for something like Severance Blade of Darkness

Post by Erik Bauer »

Hello,
I'm looking for some game, for any platform, that resembles the gameplay of Severance, Blade of darkness.

Video example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLgRznpUBA

In short, Severance was an action fantasy RPG game, but the game mechanics implied that each fight was sort of like a soul calibur/tekken match. You had several moves, parries, dodges and special attacs depending on your class and your actual weapon. Each enemy had his own moves and was more vulnerable to certain weapons and every fight was to take carefully and with some strategy in order to survive.

Several years passed since it's release but today I still miss it's difficult yet immersive and satisfactory gameplay.
Does some of you know of games with similar mechanics? (Again: the gaming system does not matter, I can put my hands on virtually anything if I really want to)
Don't let a closed door stop you
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Looking for something like Severance Blade of Darkness

Post by linflas »

did you try all mods from BOD ?
about a similar gameplay, i'm afraid that nothing has been closer than Prince of Persia series ..
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Prince of persia games have similar gameplay to Severance?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

What's with all Elder Scrolls things? Morrowind, Oblivion?
Perhaps watch out for 'the wheel of time' or 'undying' - well, those live more from the combination of spells, but still there are always surprises, a lot of unseen effects, and it's sometimes not easy to find the exit to the next level. Still, they are made with the unreal-engine, so you know what you can expect. Look for the description of those both, they are really worth to be played.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker%27s_Undying
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_T ... Video_Game
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"The Witcher" uses different combat styles to fight stuff, if that's the kind of thing you mean - you have different types of weapon and various creatures are more susceptible to certain damage types than others. You can also temporarily buff yourself or your weapons with various potions and whetstones and stuff. You also have three combat styles - Stong, Fast, and Group, which work differently (or not at all) against different enemies. You also have access to a number of spellcasting skills. Besides the combat, the game also has a lot of social stuff (talking to people, making choices, exploring towns, oh and err..."getting to know" various female characters ;)), and quests, and a cool mini-game called Dice Poker whicih you can play to earn gold in order to buy stuff :D.
I'm actually only up to the second chapter, and then I kind of ended up playing other stuff, but I'll get back to it at some point - it's a good fun game :). You can pick up the "platinum edition" (ie most updated) version for a tenner on Amazon. Well, I did anyway - it might have come down since then ;).
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Thanks for the answers, but I'm looking for a game where every single fight is to be taken seriously and is played, seamlessly witht the exploring, like a 1Vs1 match (or 1Vs Many) of Soul Calibur or Tekken.

I've played "The Witcher" and immensely loved it, but it's combat system is more akin to a mix of Diablo and Batman Arkham Asylym.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Erik Bauer wrote:Prince of persia games have similar gameplay to Severance?
not really but there are combos, simplified but every fight is like Samurai Shodown, especially against bosses.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

linflas wrote:
Erik Bauer wrote:Prince of persia games have similar gameplay to Severance?
not really but there are combos, simplified but every fight is like Samurai Shodown, especially against bosses.

Mmmm.... that's interesting...
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Personally, I did not like Severance; perhaps it was the controls or the insane difficulty. I liked the concept behind the game far more than the game itself.

As for what you're looking for… it's first-person, but I think Dark Messiah is as close as it gets. The fights can be pretty intense, and none of them is a cakewalk.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Thx for the info, I'll give it a look.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

I guess I found what I was looking for.
Dark Messiah, together with Demon's Souls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x948_TUL4-g) and it's spiritual sequel Dark Souls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHLyzGfXfU)

I guess these three games will give me tenths of unforgiving gameplay.

Thanks for the suggestion Hatfield
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I tried Dark Messiah some time ago and got a little play on Demon's Souls on PS3, and yes, those looked a lot like Severance, especially the european-dark-fantasy feel. Nevertheless, fighting commands are too simple. Dark Souls looks really promising, i've just seen developer's interview on french "Nolife" TV channel.

I really loved fighting controls in Severance (which made it so difficult at start but so enjoyable when you handle them :D) : "manual" choose-enemy locking feature, click + arrow to adjust stroke and produce combos, breath/energy control. And of course, the nice gore effect obtained by "cuttable" meshes !
That's probably the best game in 2k early years for me.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

linflas wrote:I tried Dark Messiah some time ago and got a little play on Demon's Souls on PS3, and yes, those looked a lot like Severance, especially the european-dark-fantasy feel. Nevertheless, fighting commands are too simple. Dark Souls looks really promising, i've just seen developer's interview on french "Nolife" TV channel.

I really loved fighting controls in Severance (which made it so difficult at start but so enjoyable when you handle them :D) : "manual" choose-enemy locking feature, click + arrow to adjust stroke and produce combos, breath/energy control. And of course, the nice gore effect obtained by "cuttable" meshes !
That's probably the best game in 2k early years for me.
I agree with you about Severance :)

I managed to get a copy of Demon's Souls for PS3 and after a bit more than one hour of gameplay I'm addicted to it.
It's harsh, difficult, unforgiving... but there is a particular feel to it that makes you wish to "Play just another 5 minutes, just to get back the souls I lost diyng just now. Then I'll go sleep, promise".

Don't play it if you like challenging games and you care about your social life... ;)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Bump love !
Something interesting for you Erik (and me !), released in October.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I've installed "Dark Souls - Prepare to die", the PC version of PS3 game "Dark Souls".
If you don't have an Xbox gamepad, DO NOT TRY IT EVER. Keybindings, camera, interface are just .. WTF ! And after a couple of hours, I forgave it. Too hard, and sooooo ugly.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Thanx Linflas, I've seen the Chivalry game video and seems interesting, altough I'm not a big fan of PvP games.
Meanwhile I've ended Demon's Souls and WHEW! It IS a great game!
I'ts harsh, hard, unforgiving but balanced and honest: if you die is YOUR fault. Ok, combat mechanics are not comparable to Severance ones, but they are precise enough to let you learn your personal combat timing and strategy against each enemy.
Over than that I found it a life lesson teaching game: if you do not manage to pass certain obstacles, then the character or the player are not ready for it and you simply need to go somewhere else and make experience. When you'll return ready, rest assured you shall pass the obstacle.
Second thing I learned from that game is not to be scared by huge dreadful monsters! After finishing Demon's Souls my approach to gaming is copletely different: now is the evil boss that has to fear me, not the other way around!
After a bit of relax with Zelda Skyward Sword I'll start Dark Souls (I've bought it for PS3, so I shall not fear controls), I'll tell you what I think about it ;)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

obviously, nothing can reach Severance gameplay but yeah, i hope you'll get lots of fun with PS3 version !
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

linflas wrote:obviously, nothing can reach Severance gameplay but yeah, i hope you'll get lots of fun with PS3 version !
Playing Dark Souls in this days on my PS3. Man, that game absolutely rocks!
I could'nt think they could otdo Demon's Souls this easily but they managed and... Whew! What a game!